May Criterion Channel line-up

Chit-chat, current events
CinemaInternational

Re: May Criterion Channel line-up

Post by CinemaInternational »

Write-ups from Criterion's website..... Ones I've already seen in bold.

It’s been twenty-five years since cinema bid the twentieth century farewell with an extraordinary batch of films. In retrospect, 1999 was a time of intriguing cross-pollinations between the studios and independents, national and international productions, and high and low culture. Bringing together art-house favorites (Beau travail, Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai), Hollywood hits (Girl, Interrupted; The Insider), and new cult classics (Go, The Virgin Suicides), this cinematic time capsule takes us back to the premillennial, pre-smartphone, dial-up moment just before the world as we knew it seemed to change forever.

FEATURING: Beau travail (1999), Bringing Out the Dead (1999)*, Buena Vista Social Club (1999), Bye Bye Africa (1999), Following (1999), Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai (1999), Girl, Interrupted (1999), Go (1999), The Insider (1999), The Limey (1999), Ratcatcher (1999), The Straight Story (1999)*, Summer of Sam (1999), Trick (1999), The Virgin Suicides (1999)
Starring Shirley MacLaine

A true original, Shirley MacLaine has, over the course of a legendary, nearly seven-decade film career, breathed life into some of the most unforgettable characters ever conjured on-screen. With an infinitely expressive face and a rare ability to put over both comedy and drama (and, often, a bittersweet entwining of the two) with equal aplomb, she achieved stardom by bringing a warmth, vivaciousness, poignancy, and offbeat charm all her own to classics like The Trouble with Harry, The Apartment, and Irma la Douce. And in an industry that often sidelines older women, MacLaine has blazed a trail by delivering some of her most acclaimed performances in the latter half of her career, hitting thrilling emotional highs in triumphs like Terms of Endearment (for which she won the Academy Award for Best Actress), Madame Sousatzka, and Postcards from the Edge.

FEATURING: The Trouble with Harry (1955), Artists and Models (1955)*, The Apartment (1960), Can-Can (1960), The Children’s Hour (1961), Irma la Douce (1963), What a Way to Go! (1964), Gambit (1966)*, Sweet Charity (1969)*, The Other Half of the Sky: A China Memoir (1975), Being There (1979), Terms of Endearment (1983), Madame Sousatzka (1988)*, Postcards from the Edge (1990), Guarding Tess (1994), Bernie (2011)*
Hollywood Crack-Up: The Decade American Cinema Lost Its Mind

What happened to America in the 1960s? Amid the stream of social upheavals, a wave of films emerged depicting mental illness, madness, extreme emotional states, and chilling violence—jarring transmissions from a new generation of Hollywood iconoclasts that seemed to evoke the very breakdown of the studio system itself. With filmmakers like Samuel Fuller (Shock Corridor), John Frankenheimer (The Manchurian Candidate, Seconds), Robert Aldrich (What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?), and Mike Nichols (Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?) deploying a profusion of wild and warped images, sounds, and themes, these startling portraits of social and psychological collapse capture the tenor of their times while pointing the way toward the explosive experimentation of the oncoming New Hollywood.

Programmed by Nicolas Saada and Richard Peña

FEATURING: The Manchurian Candidate (1962), Pressure Point (1962), What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962), Shock Corridor (1963), Lilith (1964), Brainstorm (1965), The Chase (1966), Seconds (1966), Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966), In Cold Blood (1967), Point Blank (1967), Faces (1968), Pretty Poison (1968), Targets (1968), Uptight (1968)
Set in Venice
Venice can be the most magical and romantic of movie settings—or the most sinister and haunting. With its ornate architecture set upon a maze of canals as dense as its history, the city has provided the unforgettable backdrop to countless stories of dreams, nightmares, and intrigue—from the luminous enchantment of David Lean’s Summertime to the decaying opulence of Luchino Visconti’s Death in Venice to the twisted horror of Nicolas Roeg’s Don’t Look Now. Together, these films immortalize one of the world’s most unique destinations—a floating neverland, always sinking, until the day when it will become a pure memory.

FEATURING: Senso (1954), Summertime (1955), Eva (1962), The Honey Pot (1967), Death in Venice (1971), Don’t Look Now (1973), A Little Romance (1979), Identification of a Woman (1982), The Comfort of Strangers (1990), Italian for Beginners (2000)*
Columbia’s Golden Era
While for many major Hollywood studios the 1950s marked the beginning of their decline, for Columbia Pictures it was a decade of ascendance. Spurred by the desire to differentiate their cinematic output from their television programming, the studio went bold with ambitious prestige productions like From Here to Eternity, On the Waterfront, and The Bridge on the River Kwai—all of which won the Academy Award for Best Picture. From genre gems like the crackerjack western 3:10 to Yuma to some of the era’s best stage-to-screen adaptations (A Raisin in the Sun, Picnic), Columbia Pictures carried the torch for the big-screen experience.

FEATURING: Born Yesterday (1950), From Here to Eternity (1953), On the Waterfront (1954), Picnic (1955), 3:10 to Yuma (1957), The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957), Bonjour Tristesse (1958), Suddenly, Last Summer (1959), A Raisin in the Sun (1961)
First-Person Asian American: 11 Documentaries
As independent Asian American filmmakers took the matter of self-representation into their own hands, many turned inward: to their own families, personal histories, and private musings. Some used their own experiences to stand for the larger Asian American community, whose stories were written out of the mainstream, while others gave intimate expression to their own idiosyncratic perspectives. Using lightweight film and video cameras, many of these filmmakers turned to the travelogue format to document family reunions or cross-country or transpacific journeys, finding in their travels across geographies and cultures the full richness and complexity of the Asian American experience.

Programmed by Brian Hu

FEATURING: Who’s Going to Pay for These Donuts Anyway? (1992), a.k.a. Don Bonus (1995), My America . . . or Honk if You Love Buddha (1997), First Person Plural (2000), I Was Born, But . . . (2004), Oh, Saigon (2007), When I Walk (2013), Twinsters (2015), 95 and 6 to Go (2016), No Data Plan (2019), Wisdom Gone Wild (2022)
Also turning up: Amelie, Once Upon a Time in America, Nothing but a Man.

I hope that this will get people to check out Madame Sousatzka, Bonjour Tristisse, The Straight Story, and Lilith, all exceptional films that rarely get mentioned. However, I hate the idea about a focus on 1999, cinema's most overrated year.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Nicolas Roeg’s DON’T LOOK NOW is streaming in May as part of a "Set in Venice" collection!

The sweetie and I have wanted to see this one for a long time.
It features one of my all-time favorites Julie Christie.

I'm very excited to see this one for the first time.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

HoldenIsHere wrote: May 1st, 2024, 7:42 pm Nicolas Roeg’s DON’T LOOK NOW is streaming in May as part of a "Set in Venice" collection!

The sweetie and I have wanted to see this one for a long time.
It features one of my all-time favorites Julie Christie.

I'm very excited to see this one for the first time.
It's a brilliant, terrifying movie. It sent a pregnant friend of mine into labour. She went straight from the movie to the ER! (That figure in the red duffle coat...)
kingrat

Post by kingrat »

Don't miss EVA--not the greatest film, but it's been rarely seen. Jeanne Moreau tormenting Stanley Baker. Go-for-baroque direction by Joseph Losey which certainly inspired Nicolas Roeg in DON'T LOOK NOW.

BONJOUR TRISTESSE is one of my favorite films. Got to see this on the big screen at one of the TCM Film Festivals.

LILITH is certainly worth seeing, especially for fans of Jean Seberg. And the young Warren Beatty and the young Gene Hackman (yes, he was once young, too).

SECONDS is another great film.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

The movie choices that Criterion made for their 1999 collection are odd to say the least.
I do like their description of the year as the "premillennial, pre-smartphone, dial-up moment just before the world as we knew it seemed to change forever," but . . .

No AMERICAN PIE?

No CRUEL INTENTIONS?

No SHE'S ALL THAT ???

Those are the movies that define 1999 cinematically, for me anyway.
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

Your 1999 selections aren't pretentious arthouse films.
umop apisdn

Post by umop apisdn »

HoldenIsHere wrote: May 2nd, 2024, 1:29 pm No AMERICAN PIE?

No CRUEL INTENTIONS?

No SHE'S ALL THAT ???

As a teenager in the 90s I used to watch She's All That and Cruel Intentions all the time. 10 Things I Hate about You was another great teen movie from 1999.

I never really cared for American Pie much.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Fedya wrote: May 2nd, 2024, 5:50 pm Your 1999 selections aren't pretentious arthouse films.
Ghost Dog certainly isn’t pretentious nor arthouse. If you want obscure pics mine would be even worse. I’d have the ‘99 film of Hyppolit on there. :D It is quickly becoming my favorite story.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

umop apisdn wrote: May 4th, 2024, 10:04 am

No CRUEL INTENTIONS?

No SHE'S ALL THAT ???

As a teenager in the 90s I used to watch She's All That and Cruel Intentions all the time. 10 Things I Hate about You was another great teen movie from 1999.

Other 1999 favorites of mine (ones I've seen multiple times) are:
NEVER BEEN KISSED
ELECTION
TOPSY-TURVY
TEACHING MRS. TINGLE
DRIVE ME CRAZY
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

HoldenIsHere wrote: May 4th, 2024, 3:53 pm
umop apisdn wrote: May 4th, 2024, 10:04 am

No CRUEL INTENTIONS?

No SHE'S ALL THAT ???

Other 1999 favorites of mine (ones I've seen multiple times) are:
NEVER BEEN KISSED
ELECTION
TOPSY-TURVY
TEACHING MRS. TINGLE
DRIVE ME CRAZY
Due to your earlier post here, I was going to mention Never Been Kissed, which is a charming light comedy, probably one of Drew Barrymore's best vehicles. And Topsy-Turvy is a wonderful film .

I made this list of my own personal 1999 favorites out of 77 films seen a few weeks ago.

1 The Straight Story
2 The End of the Affair
3 Magnolia
4 All About My Mother
5 The Third Miracle
6 Topsy-Turvy
7 Cookie's Fortune
8 Judy Berlin (https://rarefilmm.com/2019/08/judy-berlin-1999/)
9 Notting Hill
10 Eyes Wide Shut
11 Toy Story 2
12 Tea with Mussolini
13 Bringing Out the Dead
14 The Sixth Sense
15 The Muse
16 Blast from the Past
17 The Iron Giant
18 Limbo
19 A Walk on the Moon
20 Bowfinger
21 Anywhere but Here
22 The Hurricane
23 Three Kings
24 The Thomas Crown Affair
25 Sunshine
26 October Sky
27 The Insider
28 Galaxy Quest
29 The Green Mile
30 Dick
umop apisdn

Post by umop apisdn »

CinemaInternational wrote: May 4th, 2024, 4:24 pm
Due to your earlier post here, I was going to mention Never Been Kissed, which is a charming light comedy, probably one of Drew Barrymore's best vehicles. And Topsy-Turvy is a wonderful film .

I made this list of my own personal 1999 favorites out of 77 films seen a few weeks ago.

1 The Straight Story
2 The End of the Affair
3 Magnolia
4 All About My Mother
5 The Third Miracle
6 Topsy-Turvy
7 Cookie's Fortune
8 Judy Berlin (https://rarefilmm.com/2019/08/judy-berlin-1999/)
9 Notting Hill
10 Eyes Wide Shut
11 Toy Story 2
12 Tea with Mussolini
13 Bringing Out the Dead
14 The Sixth Sense
15 The Muse
16 Blast from the Past
17 The Iron Giant
18 Limbo
19 A Walk on the Moon
20 Bowfinger
21 Anywhere but Here
22 The Hurricane
23 Three Kings
24 The Thomas Crown Affair
25 Sunshine
26 October Sky
27 The Insider
28 Galaxy Quest
29 The Green Mile
30 Dick
It's nice to see The End of the Affair on your list. It's also one of my favorites from 1999. A few more movies that I liked were:

Office Space
Fight Club
The Matrix
The Blair Witch Project
Boys Don't Cry
Being John Malkovich
The Legend of 1900
Princess Mononoke
Sleepy Hollow
Ride with the Devil

I will be checking out Topsy-Turvy and Tea with Mussolini. I have also been meaning to check out The Straight Story for a while as part of my David Lynch project. I am glad that Criterion has it now, so I don't have to add Disney+.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

I also like TEA WITH MUSSOLINI although I only saw it once.
I actually saw this movie in the theater in 1999 with my mother and grandmother. They both loved it.
I'm looking forward to watching it again to see what the adult me will think about it.

I remember thinking how wonderful Cher was in her role and how fantastic her costumes were.
If I'm remembering correctly, her character was a former Ziegfeld Follies performer.
1999, of course, was the year that Cher's song "Believe" would be ranked by Billboard as the number-one song of the year on both their Hot 100 and Hot Dance Club Play charts. She was in her 50s.

kingrat

Post by kingrat »

HoldenIsHere wrote: May 5th, 2024, 3:35 pm I also like TEA WITH MUSSOLINI although I only saw it once.
I actually saw this movie in the theater in 1999 with my mother and grandmother. They both loved it.
I'm looking forward to watching it again to see what the adult me will think about it.

I remember thinking how wonderful Cher was in her role and how fantastic her costumes were.
If I'm remembering correctly, her character was a former Ziegfeld Follies performer.
1999, of course, was the year that Cher's song "Believe" would be ranked by Billboard as the number-one song of the year on both their Hot 100 and Hot Dance Club Play charts. She was in her 50s.

"Believe" was the first song to use AutoTune. Tea With Mussolini has a special place in my heart because some of it was filmed in the beautiful hill town of San Gimignano. The ladies are seen outside the hotel where we stayed, La Cisterna, and then they go into the lobby. Twenty years ago the hotel was affordable--now, who knows?
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

TERMS OF ENDEARMENT is listed as one of the movies that The Criterion Channel is streaming as part of its "Starring Shirley MacLaine" collection, but the movie is not there.