The Long Grey Line

Discussion of programming on TCM.
mrsl

The Long Grey Line

Post by mrsl »

I was going to put this in the Drama thread, but there are a lot of funny parts also, so I decided to just put it here.

It's been such a long time since I saw this darn movie, I forgot you have to put a box of Kleenex next to your seat while watching. Not only for tears of commiseration, but also for tears of laughter. I realize a lot of you had to tape it because of the time its on today, but if you did, watch it soon - don't leave it on the shelf with a note to see it at some future time. It's the kind of movie you want to see, and if you put it off, you'll be sorry. Maureen was the perfect Irish immigrant in it, even more Irish than in The Quiet Man. And if you're like me and don't have access to Fox Movie Channel, this is only about the 4th opportunity you have to enjoy Ty Power - TCM doesn't have his movies very often.

So I can't say too much right now - I don't want to ruin it for anyone.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

I watched it with my daughter. She will usually watch a movie if I recommend it. I told her I first saw this one when I was in junior high school. It was shown to all students who had perfect attendance for the semester. I'd never heard of it and didn't know what to expect, but was very surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I think I was in the 8th grade when I saw it. I got to see 5 of the 6 movies offered for attendance for the three years (7, 8 and 9) that I attended jhs. The others I got to see were Pollyanna, The Delicate Delinquent, The Sad Sack and Captains Courageous. I think the one I missed was The Ruggles of Red Gap - my brother got to see t hat one, but I missed a three day stretch in the Spring of the 9th grade. :(

My daughter thought TLGL was a lot like Goodbye, Mr. Chips.
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

" The Long Gray Line "is one film that I always tear up. but I do that with alot of Ford Films. :wink:
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

JohnM wrote:This film was based on my great uncle, Marty. I was sort of named for him, my middle name is Martin. He was my paternal grandfather's older brother. I barely remember him, but I recall his funeral at West Point, in 1961. I haven't seen the film in years, and keep telling myself to buy the DVD!
How interesting! How does your family feel about Ty's performance as Martin? I think it's the best work of his career, I felt he totally became a character and finally got to move away from a role based on his looks (not that I think those were bad either!)

I really wish this movie would come to dvd, because this airing on TCM I taped was off-synch, yet again, in the audio. TCM has done this to me twice now when I wanted to record a rarely shown movie; the first was with Harriet Craig and Autumn Leaves.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

The Long Grey Line has a DVD that is available from Amazon, I believe that it is over $ 20, with no extra's. :wink:
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

JohnM wrote:
MissGoddess wrote:How interesting! How does your family feel about Ty's performance as Martin? I think it's the best work of his career, I felt he totally became a character and finally got to move away from a role based on his looks (not that I think those were bad either!)

I really wish this movie would come to dvd, because this airing on TCM I taped was off-synch, yet again, in the audio. TCM has done this to me twice now when I wanted to record a rarely shown movie; the first was with Harriet Craig and Autumn Leaves.
Well, anyone who would care one way or the other, is dead! But I do recall that everyone thought highly of the film, and the family always referred to Tyrone Power (regardless of what film he was in), as "Uncle Marty"! My siblings and I still do.
That's so cute! I think, had he the chance, your "Uncle Marty" would have gone on to stronger and stronger performances, he was making tremendous strides in his skills.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

ken123 wrote:The Long Grey Line has a DVD that is available from Amazon, I believe that it is over $ 20, with no extra's. :wink:
I had no idea it was on dvd! Someone told me it wasn't, I guess I should have checked...thank you so much, Ken! It's going on my list.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Indeed a wonderful and rousing motion picture which I watch every chance I get.
With John Ford's midas touch and fine performances from just about the entire cast, especially O'Hara and Power, it is a memorable film.

Although Tyrone Power was outstanding as Marty Maher, I still believe his best performance was in "Nightmare Alley" (1947) as a scam artist.