Alan Ladd

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Bronxgirl48

Re: Alan Ladd

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

nakanosunplaza wrote: August 23rd, 2023, 3:59 pm re Powell was having an affair with Virginia Field -married to Paul Douglas,Douglas divorced her right away in 1948 I think,the only movie I want to see again by Allyson is the Shrike,have not seen it in decades,will watch it soon though. I do not remember if Powell was married to Joan or June during his affair with Field,Field was a great looking woman though.

Virginia Field, wasn't she Kitty, Vivien Leigh's ballerina-turned-prostitute roommate in WATERLOO BRIDGE? I heard Field was a handful to work with and predisposed to gossip about them.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

speedracer5 wrote: August 24th, 2023, 11:23 am
Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 23rd, 2023, 3:01 pm And I think Joan Blondell who was briefly married to Powell said essentially the same thing about him -- boring, precise, workaholic, and not exactly fireworks in the romance department. I even remember (I swear!) something to the effect that he was a stickler for time and even wound his watch before lovemaking, plus wearing socks to bed but perhaps Joan was being hyperbolic, lol. She also had some unkind things to say about June ("husband snatcher" or words to that effect)
I've also read that June Allyson's own children (or maybe just her daughter?) couldn't stand her to the point where they refuse to discuss her. I guess kudos to them for not putting out a Mommie Dearest-esque memoir.

Hadn't heard about this. Kids of famous show-biz people certainly have their own unique challenges.
nakanosunplaza

Post by nakanosunplaza »

Virginia Field, wasn't she Kitty, Vivien Leigh's ballerina-turned-prostitute roommate in WATERLOO BRIDGE? I heard Field was a handful to work with and predisposed to gossip about them.
[/quote]

Yes yes and yes I know she almost knock down Selznick in his office as he was trying to 'know her better' she hit Selznick on the head,I think Douglas caught Powell and her in a 'live 'situation,Paul Douglas divorced her right away, I find her to be very attractive.I guess if Powell was looking at his watch with Field it would just be to find out when he could get back home to the very sexy Allyson.... and not because of boredom.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 25th, 2023, 1:56 pm ...Kids of famous show-biz people certainly have their own unique challenges.
Oh yeah, I've always felt so sorry for 'em.

I mean, havin' to grow up in places like Beverly Hills and Pacific Palisades must just be TERRIBLE!!!

And not to mention, IF they might want to later get into the Biz themselves, no doors are ever opened to or for 'em.

(...yep, my heart has always bled for those unfortunate ones, alright!)

LOL
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Dargo wrote: August 25th, 2023, 2:50 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 25th, 2023, 1:56 pm ...Kids of famous show-biz people certainly have their own unique challenges.

I mean, havin' to grow up in places like Beverly Hills and Pacific Palisades must just be TERRIBLE!!!

And not to mention, IF they might want to later get into the Biz themselves, no doors are ever opened to or for 'em.

LOL
I can't figure out how to send pm here...Dargo, why did you unlike my post on Outros...?
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Allhallowsday wrote: August 25th, 2023, 5:49 pm
I can't figure out how to send pm here...Dargo, why did you unlike my post on Outros...?
Only because I meant to instead quote your comment in the "Outro" thread, not being sure if I totally agreed with your comment about ol' nasally Ben.

And which by now I'll bet you've read and so would know where we might differ in this regard.

(...btw...you wouldn't happen to be a Francophile, would YA?!) ;)

LOL
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

LOL

Lots of major dysfunction in many of those households! More often than not, the celebrity parent or parents, never grew up themselves and so have problems nurturing their own children. Resentments, hostility, envy, indifference, neediness, abuse (verbal or physical) on both sides....Nightmare atmosphere on the inside of those fancy mansions.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 26th, 2023, 6:58 pm

LOL

Lots of major dysfunction in many of those households! More often than not, the celebrity parent or parents, never grew up themselves and so have problems nurturing their own children. Resentments, hostility, envy, indifference, neediness, abuse (verbal or physical) on both sides....Nightmare atmosphere on the inside of those fancy mansions.
Yep, good points made here, Bronxie.

This bringing to mind how I'd come to categorize the actors, actresses and celebs who I'd have interactions with during my time as an airline boarding gate supervisor at LAX for so many years.

I could usually place them into three categories, pretty much in equal quantity, and with only one of these categories being in any manner a positive one. In a nutshell, these three categories being: "Arrogant Extrovert", "Paranoid Introvert", and "Emotionally Grounded".

(...and with of course the last category being the only ones I liked interacting with)
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Dargo wrote: August 27th, 2023, 6:10 pm

LOL

This bringing to mind how I'd come to categorize the actors, actresses and celebs who I'd have interactions with during my time as an airline boarding gate supervisor at LAX for so many years.

I could usually place them into three categories, pretty much in equal quantity, and with only one of these categories being in any manner a positive one. In a nutshell, these three categories being: "Arrogant Extrovert", "Paranoid Introvert", and "Emotionally Grounded".

(...and with of course the last category being the only ones I liked interacting with)
If I'm remembering correctly, Dargo, on the old TCM boars you mentioned your interactions at LAX with a certain male movie star whose initials were K.D.
I guess he would fall under the "Arrogant Extrovert" category.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

HoldenIsHere wrote: August 29th, 2023, 9:51 pm
If I'm remembering correctly, Dargo, on the old TCM boars you mentioned your interactions at LAX with a certain male movie star whose initials were K.D.
I guess he would fall under the "Arrogant Extrovert" category.
LOL

Yes, I suppose so, Holden.

Well, at least from that one interaction with him, he certainly couldn't have been placed in that "paranoid introvert" category of mine, anyway! ;) Nope, the principle example of THAT category would've been Prince, and who I had the "pleasure" of boarding along with his large entourage on our LAX-MSP flights many a time.

(...btw, my favorite repeat celebrity passenger was always basketball great Magic Johnson, and who I'd come to highly respect because of all the times I'd watch him so professionally treat those who'd walk up to him and want his autograph...a true class act whose signature smile always seemed genuine)
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Dargo wrote: August 27th, 2023, 6:10 pm

LOL

I always fantasized sitting next to Alan Ladd (Traumatized Introvert With Low Self-Esteem) on an airplane.