The Secret Garden (1949)

Discussion of programming on TCM.
jdb1

The Secret Garden (1949)

Post by jdb1 »

The 1949 version of "The Secret Garden" is on TCM tomorrow at 4:30 PM.

I recommend this version, which is very close to the book, and which features really excellent performances from Margaret O'Brien and Dean Stockwell.

O'Brien, who looks to be about 12 or 13, really cuts loose and gives an un-self-conscious performance as the spoiled and troubled heroine, and Stockwell is very good, as always, as her sickly cousin. This film focuses on the children, and they are all natural and un-cute, as they should be in this story. This one is an overlooked small-scale gem - very good for kids; maybe it will inspire them to read the book.
benwhowell

Mary, Mary, quite contrary...

Post by benwhowell »

I'm looking forward to seeing this too, Judith. I'm a fan of Margaret O'Brien and Dean Stockwell...as well as Elsa Lanchester and (three time Oscar nominee) Gladys Cooper.
I love movies set on estates with spooky houses and "secret gardens-"especially when the garden is in Technicolor!
feaito

Post by feaito »

My wife and I loved this film when we first watched it and it's also scheduled todayin my country on TCM Latin! It's a beautiful film and Dean Stockwell & Margaret O'Brien are at their best.

I also like the modern version that was directed by Agnieszka Holland
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

I loved Margaret O'Brien as a child actress so it'll be interesting to see her in her tween years. The story doesn't sound appealing from the description on my cable box but i'll give it a shot.