Shorts & Sweet

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Moraldo Rubini

Shorts & Sweet

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

I just noticed (am I the last to know?) that the on-line TCM schedule now shows when short subjects are playing! How cool is that? For example, see here.
benwhowell

Merci beaucoup...

Post by benwhowell »

I'm thrilled that "short subjects" are listed now! Do you suppose they were "inspired" to do this from reading some of the schedules in the programming challenges? Yes, I'm sure that's it. :D
And thanks for that link, Marco...reminding me to tape "Au Revoir, Les Enfants" and "The Happy Years."
Moraldo Rubini

Au revoir Happy Years!

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

I remember enjoying Au Revoir Les Enfants, but what's The Happy Years?
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

That is awesome! I hope they keep that up!

I need to have the complete Dogville collection, after all! :P
My wife said she'd help young people, ... That's what I'd do. Help young people, then buy a big motor home and get out of town.
~ Gary Cooper
jdb1

Re: Au revoir Happy Years!

Post by jdb1 »

Moraldo Rubini wrote:I remember enjoying Au Revoir Les Enfants, but what's The Happy Years?
Marco, I saw a chunk of "The Happy Years" a few months ago. It's an interesting period piece starring two of Hollywood's top child actors, Dean Stockwell and Darryl Hickman. It appears to be based on someone's memoirs about life at a prep school - the time seems to be turn of the 20th Century. Stockwell is the hero, who is at first bullied by BMOC Hickman, but Stockwell's unexpected skill at football makes them friends. There was a cute scene about one student who met the local pancake house's challenge to eat a certain number of pancakes, and then some. It was a nice, but minor movie.
Moraldo Rubini

Something Always Happens

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Cool! Sounds as if it were made mid-1950's?

I'm most excited about the Michael Powell movies to be aired tonight. The Powell/Pressburger films from the 1940's and 1950's are among my favorites, so this rare opportunity to see Something Always Happens and Crown vs. Stevens from Powell's filmic formative years sounds intriguing!
benwhowell

"To the perfect crime."

Post by benwhowell »

I'm really into Dean Stockwell lately. Another one I'd love to see is "The Careless Years-"from 1957. It's from United Artists and directed by Arthur Hiller...his first theatrical feature. The cast also features Barbara Billingsley and Virginia Christine and other familiar faces/character actors from TV. Rich girl falls for poor boy and they take off to Mexico...
Would make a great double feature with "Rapture-"with Melvyn Douglas and Patricia Gozzi.
For some reason-everytime I think of "Rapture" I think of Andrew Wyeth's painting, Christina's World-
http://www.jssgallery.org/Other_Artists ... _World.htm
Make that a triple feature-with "Compulsion."
Moraldo Rubini

Mish Mash

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

One of the best double-features I'd ever attended was Compulsion with In Cold Blood; the parallels of these two stories was haunting. That was a great night at the cinema. [Thank you Castro Theatre!]
jdb1

Re: Mish Mash

Post by jdb1 »

Moraldo Rubini wrote:One of the best double-features I'd ever attended was Compulsion with In Cold Blood; the parallels of these two stories was haunting. That was a great night at the cinema. [Thank you Castro Theatre!]
No Rope?