Gunfight at the O.K. Corral (1957)

pktrekgirl
Administrator

Gunfight at the O.K. Corral (1957)

Post by pktrekgirl »

I really hadn't planned to watch this film last night - as stated elsewhere, westerns aren't really my genre.

But I was getting some stuff off the DVD recorder last night, and had this film on in the background. And I have to say - I really enjoyed it! I thought both Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas were great (but then, aren't they ALWAYS great?) and I liked the way they developed the friendship between Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday. The script was great and there were no wasted shots or scenes!

Is this considered by westerns fans to be a pretty good western? Cus I quite enjoyed it!
My wife said she'd help young people, ... That's what I'd do. Help young people, then buy a big motor home and get out of town.
~ Gary Cooper
feaito

Post by feaito »

I bought the DVD edition of this film some months ago and haven't gotten around to watching it. Now thanks to you Beda I'm curious!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

This is one of my favorites. Lancaster and Douglas are great together. I've always been intrigued by Holliday's relationship with Kate. They seem so opposite but they are both as lost as they can be so I think that is the attraction. Douglas played mean very well. Good supporting cast. Makes an interesting contrast to "My Darling Clementine" in story and in the shoot out.

If you like Douglas and director John Sturges at all you might also check "Last Train From Gun Hill."
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
nightwalker

Post by nightwalker »

I've always liked the film too, even if it is perhaps a tad overlong.

Sturges also made a sequel of sorts, HOUR OF THE GUN (1967), with James Garner as Wyatt Earp, Jason Robards as Doc Holliday and Robert Ryan as Ike Clanton. It, too, is worth a look if you haven't seen it.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I love Kirk Douglas as Doc Holliday in this film. My favorite scene is when he rides up to Lancaster/Earp, who is going to ride from Dodge to Tombstone.

"Where's your gear?" Earp demands.

Holliday silently holds up a deck of cards.
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

I love this movie and the sorta sequel as mentioned before is quite good as well tho the characters are a bit different. I kinda like Robards' interpretation of Doc Holliday better then Douglas'.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I had the same experience (not intending to sit down and view), but it was on in the background and I turned around and settled in. Great film, don't know why I didn't watch all these years.
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

I thought Gunfight at the OK Corral was, well, OK. I didn't care for Hour of the Gun that much, although I did enjoy Robards.

But Last Train to Gun Hill is an excellent film. One of my favorite westerns.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Gunfight is not anywhere near as intereesting as John Ford's : My Darling Clementine ". :wink:
feaito

Post by feaito »

jondaris wrote:But Last Train to Gun Hill is an excellent film. One of my favorite westerns.
I also bought the DVD of this film and it's waiting to be seen too!... Come to think about it "The Bravados" is on the same situation. Gotta catch up with those westerns!!

BTW, "My Darling Clementine" is on my Must-buy List.

I usually watch films with my wife and she does not like westerns. The other day I convinced her to watch with me "The Searchers" and she liked it. But this is a very special western. A masterpiece. Who could dislike it?
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

I think Kirk and Burt are well-matched in this one, and it is a nice showcase for both of these talented men. Jo Van Fleet also had a good part, kind of reminiscent of her later Cool Hand Luke foray as the mother.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
movieman1957
Administrator

Hour of The Gun

Post by movieman1957 »

Finally got around to watching "Hour of The Gun." Not great. Robards is pretty good. It all seems a bit too vigilante to work within the framework of the law.

The second quarter, so to speak, of the film I found a little too slow.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Vienna

Re: Gunfight at the O.K. Corral (1957)

Post by Vienna »

Kirk Douglas and Jo Van Fleet steal every scene they are in. surely one of Kirk's best roles.
And I love the Frankie Laine catchy song.
Wish Rhonda Fleming had more to do in it.