Bad Guys

movieman1957
Administrator

Bad Guys

Post by movieman1957 »

Cinemalover's review of "The Cowboys" and mention of Bruce Dern made me wonder who are your favorite nasty characters/actors.

My favorite "bad guy" actors are Dan Duryea and Jack Elam. I liked Richard Boone's character in "Big Jake."

Please share yours.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

For someone who is such a lovable and enjoyable character in the majority of his films, I found my favorite bad guy to be Walter Brennan as Judge Roy Bean in The Westerner and as Pa Clanton in My Darling Clementine. They were so out of character, and yet, he made them totally believable.
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Ultimate evil-doers from my early childhood list are Lionel Barrymore as Mr. Potter and Margaret Hamilton as you-know-who in TWOO. ( I'm still too afraid to say her name. )

Peter Graves as the double agent in Stalag 17 is a slick one.
Sir Ralph Richardson as Dr. Sloper in The Heiress was harsh and cruel as the controlling patriarch.

And Robert Barrat as Nick Powers in Baby Face. (The part of Stanwyck's father.) The ultimate slimeball....

But my most enjoyable "Bad Guy" had to go to Charles Lane. How many pieces of real estate did this fellow almost foreclose on in his decades long career as the ultimate curmudgeon and dastardly bean-counter? He usually softened by the time the final credits would roll, but this actor supplied such grist for script mills that he should have received a special Oscar for longevity and absence of levity in the face of foreclosure.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I like the sleek and stylish villains in many Classic Hollywood movies. How about Conrad Veidt, Henry Daniell and Basil Rathbone, and an American counterpart, George Macready? George Sanders was a dandy villain too.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Brennan's Pa Clanton was something to see, in My Darling Clementine.

Jack Palance in Shane is also one of the most memorable.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I can't believe no one has mentioned Lee Marvin as Liberty Valance.

Jack Palance is great in "Shane." Marvin very good in "seven Men from Now." Richard Widmark in "Yellow Sky." Dan Duryea in "Winchester '73." John McIntyre in "Far Country."
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I am surprised I forgot about old Liberty V...surely he belongs in the western villain hall of fame.

John McIntyre in The Far Country was a good call; he is one of my favorites because he's so charming I just hate to see him turn all bad.
vallo

Post by vallo »

Henry Fonda as Frank in "Once Upon a Time In the West"

Eli Wallach as Calvera in "The Magnificent Seven "

Gene Hackman as John Herod in "The Quick and the Dead"

vallo
"We're all forgotten sooner or later. But not films. That's all the memorial we should need or hope for."
-Burt Lancaster
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

And all those wonderful, evil bad guys on "Wild Wild West." Those colorful villains are what made that show eminently watchable.
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

For my money, Lee Marvin nailed the most despicable western villain ever as Liberty Valance.

An interesting different choice for me is Yul Brynner as a western robot gone awry in Westworld. It's a nice contrast to the classic western hero he played in The Magnificent Seven.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

I have to agree, cinemalover. Lee Marvin was the ultimate evil-doer in
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

Henry Fonda comes a close-up second in the domain of the Old West in Once Upon a Time....
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Bilbo

Re: Bad Guys

Post by Bilbo »

Hi Chris

As a newcomer to this site I have only just come across your thread - as a youngster in the cinema western era I saw many cowboy films - probably too many to now recall - but my favourite "baddies" over the years have been - Lyle Bettger - Jack Palance and Lee Van Cleef - but top of the shop goes to a name you first mentioned - Jack Elam.

I never tire of watching him - an under-rated actor with a very expressive face - although I greatly admired his acting I never hated him as a baddie - like say Lyle - or anyone who hit Randolph Scott.

Hope this thread gets resurrected as it still has great potential

Bilbo
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

One to love and one to hate:

Robert Ryan in The Naked Spur and Louis Calhern in Devil's Doorway.

Of course, I can't go without mentioning my favorite bad guy - Joseph Calleia.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Brian Donlevy in "Union Pacific" is pretty memorable, sticking the foot of his cigar in whiskey.

I always liked Christopher George in "El Dorado." John Wayne tells him: "You're too good to give a chance to!"
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Lee Marvin in SEVEN MEN FROM NOW is probably my favorite, but Klaus Kinski in THE GREAT SILENCE also brings a smile to my face.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles