WHAT HAPPENED TO 40 GUNS???

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Hibi

Re: WHAT HAPPENED TO 40 GUNS???

Post by Hibi »

Anyone want to bet 40 Guns will be rescheduled posthaste?
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Hibi wrote: May 21st, 2024, 11:20 am Anyone want to bet 40 Guns will be rescheduled posthaste?
I highly doubt it. 40 Guns is a Fox now Disney film.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: May 21st, 2024, 11:26 am
Hibi wrote: May 21st, 2024, 11:20 am Anyone want to bet 40 Guns will be rescheduled posthaste?
But they paid to broadcasat it and it never aired.
jamesjazzguitar

Hibi wrote: May 21st, 2024, 11:36 am
You could be right; Here is what someone just posted at the other movie website:

I just visited the TCM library. FORTY GUNS is on the library and I checked it out - it plays fine - also with Spielberg and Ben's chat about the film
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: May 21st, 2024, 1:23 pm

You could be right; Here is what someone just posted at the other movie website:

I just visited the TCM library. FORTY GUNS is on the library and I checked it out - it plays fine - also with Spielberg and Ben's chat about the film
Strange. Must have been some sort of transmission problem.
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

The same thing happened with Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid - after the failed broadcast it was later posted to WatchTCM along with the introduction and wrap-up.

I would imagine that TCM has to prepare the video for streaming and it may be a separate production path. It is possible that this path worked properly (possibly because someone had to pay attention to it), but the source of the video used for broadcast had an issue that they were not aware of.

It is too much of a coincidence that in both failures (Plaid and Forty Guns) the problem happened at the exact beginning of the film. A random transmission failure could take place at any point in the film.

I don't think the problem has anything to do with a rights issue, but they would have to make new arrangements to show the film at another date.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

cmovieviewer wrote: May 21st, 2024, 1:59 pm The same thing happened with Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid - after the failed broadcast it was later posted to WatchTCM along with the introduction and wrap-up.

I would imagine that TCM has to prepare the video for streaming and it may be a separate production path. It is possible that this path worked properly (possibly because someone had to pay attention to it), but the source of the video used for broadcast had an issue that they were not aware of.

It is too much of a coincidence that in both failures (Plaid and Forty Guns) the problem happened at the exact beginning of the film. A random transmission failure could take place at any point in the film.

I don't think the problem has anything to do with a rights issue, but they would have to make new arrangements to show the film at another date.
Not always. Just depends on their contract. A typical contract allows for X number of airings within a time period. The streaming rights would be a separate part of the contract.
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

txfilmfan wrote: May 21st, 2024, 2:22 pm Not always. Just depends on their contract. A typical contract allows for X number of airings within a time period. The streaming rights would be a separate part of the contract.
I agree, but I think the question was if they could show a movie an 'extra' time to make up for the failure. If they had already arranged for additional showings, then no problem.

Another question would be if TCM could/would claim it was the provider's fault for the problem with the video. Could they then get to show it again as a makeup? But who knows if that is the case.

Only tangentially related, but I recall reading about a failure at movie theaters when the digital rights management system had an issue and the passwords failed at several theaters at the same time. The screens at several theaters went dark on the same day. Something like a password problem might be an issue TCM could discover at the last minute if they hadn't checked ahead of time. But they were able to get the streaming video working so it's not clear exactly what happened.
Last edited by cmovieviewer on May 21st, 2024, 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: May 21st, 2024, 1:23 pm

By the "library," do they mean Watch TCM?
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

HoldenIsHere wrote: May 21st, 2024, 3:03 pm By the "library," do they mean Watch TCM?
That is what I thought they were referring to - WatchTCM currently has the movie available to watch. Some of the providers also have an 'on demand' area where films from TCM are posted.
jamesjazzguitar

cmovieviewer wrote: May 21st, 2024, 3:11 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: May 21st, 2024, 3:03 pm By the "library," do they mean Watch TCM?
That is what I thought they were referring to - WatchTCM currently has the movie available to watch. Some of the providers also have an 'on demand' area where films from TCM are posted.
I assume that is what they meant. If that is the case, I wonder if TCM had leasing issues with Disney; I.e. OK to lease the movie to show on WatchTCM but not on the overall TCM network?
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Just saw a new promo for Noir Alley (as if they didn't have enough of them) -- with Eddie Muller wearing some kind of 1940's camel hair coat, walking the streets of Frisco looking "tough". So silly and frankly tiresome already imo. Forgive my ignorance on these matters, but don't all these self-indulgent host segments add up, cost-wise? TCM seems to care more about them than the viewers. How ironic.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 21st, 2024, 6:48 pm Just saw a new promo for Noir Alley (as if they didn't have enough of them) -- with Eddie Muller wearing some kind of 1940's camel hair coat, walking the streets of Frisco looking "tough". So silly and frankly tiresome already imo. Forgive my ignorance on these matters, but don't all these self-indulgent host segments add up, cost-wise? TCM seems to care more about them than the viewers. How ironic.
It's the celebrity culture. You gotta have dem celibitaires.
The Shining Hour (1938)
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I hate it!
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 21st, 2024, 6:48 pm Just saw a new promo for Noir Alley (as if they didn't have enough of them) -- with Eddie Muller wearing some kind of 1940's camel hair coat, walking the streets of Frisco looking "tough". So silly and frankly tiresome already imo. Forgive my ignorance on these matters, but don't all these self-indulgent host segments add up, cost-wise? TCM seems to care more about them than the viewers. How ironic.
Considering it is only two hours every week, the amount of advertising done for that specific segment is insane. I also dislike the new Rebel Without a Cause ad where they drag race golf carts. An ad where they simply talk about upcoming movies would suffice.