Thanks for the memories!

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Hollis

Thanks for the memories!

Post by Hollis »

Good early morning all,

I just spent 20-30 minutes glancing over some of the old threads dating back to April when this site took shape and let me tell you, what a lot of fun it was! I couldn't help but smile and laugh at some of the discussions and bantering that was going on and I was amazed at how fresh they felt even though they're now 4 and 5 months old! Over time I've grown even more appreciative of all I've learned from you folks. I'm afraid though that two things will never change, first, I'll always have more questions than answers and second, I'll always seem to use two words when one will do! Sorry about that, chiefs! But again, thanks for the memories and a great way to start the morning!

As always (and fondly)

Hollis
klondike

Post by klondike »

And here's two other things that will never change: you'll always be valued by all of us here for your fresh, thoughtful insights and friendly, downhome decency, and you will always find yourself very welcome here on this site!
Have a great one, Bro!
vallo

Post by vallo »

I'm glad you feel content here. I know I do. If I make a mistake there's no one here to "Blatantly" correct me. I learned alot here and there. There will alway's be someone who knows more than I do in certain aspects of Classic films. I also appreciate that I found a place were all that come here, love the films I also love.

So feel safe Hollis.... your Home....

vallo
"We're all forgotten sooner or later. But not films. That's all the memorial we should need or hope for."
-Burt Lancaster
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Dear Hollis,

I'm glad you feel content here. It's nice to be able to express one's thoughts without getting blasted!!

And, don't worry or feel apologetic about asking questions. Ever!!
That's how we all learn......
Remember your first question as a youngster?? - - "Why is the sky blue?" ... and "How do the clouds stay up there?".....

It's a quest for life. My grandmother always said that nobody is perfect and questions are our path to knowledge; but once you're perfect and know everything, then you're a bore (boring!!) and might as well be dead!

So keep the questions coming, folks, and if any of us knows the answer(s), then - educate us!!

Larry
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Good morning again gentlemen ans ladies,

Quick question - Does anyone know of any film in which Harpo Marx actually speaks? Maybe something off camera perhaps? I'm watching "A Night at the Opera" and it just sort of popped into this vacancy I call a mind. I'm dying to find out what he sounded like. I imagine that he sounded very well spoken and educated as I know the brothers were raised in a home where education and music appreciation were encouraged. Let me know if you can, and thanks again.

As always (and still fondly)

Hollis
vallo

Post by vallo »

Harpo never spoke in a movie, but his voice has been recorded, as you can hear here. http://www.marx-brothers.org/biography/harposp.htm

vallo
"We're all forgotten sooner or later. But not films. That's all the memorial we should need or hope for."
-Burt Lancaster
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

I think several people feel as you do Hollis - I know I certainly do.

I think that this is a good group - and one in which not only hard knowledge of films is considered to be an asset. Everyone has something to contribute here. There is not a single person who doesn't give more than they take from this community - whether it be film knowledge, a sunny outlook, a calming influence, some sort of technical or artistic skill, the ability to make people laugh, or some interesting 'behind the scenes' stories to tell.

And everyone has certain areas where they excel. I don't know much about Westerns...but others do, for example. I'm pretty strong when it comes to the films of the 30's and 40's...but others are very strong when it comes to the 50's and 60's. Some of us know alot about musicals...others know alot about Noir and gangster films.

ALL of these things are assets that make us stronger as a group than any one of us is individually.

And no one here pretends to know it all. I think everyone learns around here, at one time or another.

Nothing wrong, then, with having more questions than answers. In fact, I think that's a good thing!
My wife said she'd help young people, ... That's what I'd do. Help young people, then buy a big motor home and get out of town.
~ Gary Cooper
Hollis

Harpo speaks!

Post by Hollis »

Dear Vallo,

Thanks so much for sending the link my way! After all these years, I finally know what he sounded like, and in all honesty, like the radio host said, "the perfect voice for radio!" Thanks again.

As always,

Hollis
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Hi Beda and good morning,

I can't find fault with anything you've said and I couldn't agree more. I'm the proverbial "jack of all trades" when it comes to movies. I know a little bit about a lot of things but don't have any real expertise in any. I'm glad that no one here has ever spoken down to me due to my shortcomings. What a great group of people, aren't they? This place is everything TCM isn't!

As always,

Hollis