The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945)

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Mr. Arkadin

The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945)

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Comes on tonight. Here's something I wrote on the film the last time it showed:

“Pleasure is the only thing worth having a theory about. It’s natures’ sign of approval. When we’re happy we’re always good. When we’re always good—we’re not always happy.”

The Picture of Dorian Gray, which shows on TCM tonight, has much to say about pleasure, it’s gratification and it’s price.

Originally written as a short story for a magazine, by Oscar Wilde in 1890, Dorian Gray (Hurd Hatfield) is a young man of astonishing beauty. His friend Basil Hallward (Lowell Gilmore) is painting his portrait when Lord Henry Wotton (George Sanders) drops in for a visit. Wotton, smitten with Dorian’s handsome features, gives the younger impressionable man his philosophy of life:

“Don’t squander the gold of your days—live. Let nothing be lost upon you. There is such little time that your youth will last and you can never get it back. As we grow older, our memories are haunted by the exquisite temptations that we never yield to. The world is yours for a season—it would be tragic if you realized it too late. There is only one thing in the world worth having and that is youth.”

Upon viewing the portrait, Dorian himself utters a strange wish:

“As I grow old this picture will remain always young. If only it could be the other way—if only it were the picture that grew old, and I were to remain always young.”

It’s a wish that many would make, but Dorian's is actually granted. With his life now devoted to hedonism, the portrait begins to age and take on the nature of Dorian’s sins of selfishness and vice--with disastrous results.

Released in 1945, Dorian was seen to be a Victorian era horror film, which was an unfortunate characterization as it placed the best two acting performances of that year into a genre that has never won an Academy Award for acting ability (although it did win an Oscar for best black and white cinematography).

Sanders is nothing short of a force in this film, delivering Wilde’s lines with a rapid-fire delivery akin to a machine gun. It’s not an abrasive style though. Phrases and double entendres are spoken with a silky smooth quality that slips past the viewer quickly and only in retrospect does one understand the meaning of Lord Wotton’s dangerous creed. The censors must have been just as spellbound. There are many things that are said or implied here that are strictly forbidden by the Hays Code, but somehow eluded them.

As good as Sanders is though, it is Hatfield who anchors the film and provides it’s finest performance. His is the less showy part and his role as Dorian is incredible in it's restraint and subtlety. There are many areas where he is just thinking or slowly moving through a room while we hear voice-over narration. His face is always a pallid mask as he is introverted, but we always know Dorian's thoughts and emotions through Hatfield's eyes. As much as Sanders role benefits from his voice, Hatfield’s work is much more emotive and difficult as his role cannot be communicated with words.

The Picture of Dorian Gray might be over 50 years old (the original story over 100), but it’s themes have never been more relevant in a narcissistic society that is obsessed with youth and personal pleasure above all things. Dorian is a man like each of us who is torn by Basil’s spiritual views and Wotton’s carnality. Like Faust, he is willing to give his soul for pleasure, but learns the lonely price of selfishness is the actuality of having to abide in his own repulsive nature.

There are also subliminal homoerotic overtones in dominance and influence of the two older men over Dorian, and in Dorian himself as we view the places he goes and stories associated with his name (one young man he is associated with commits suicide for example). This was strictly against the Hays Code, but director Albert Lewin managed to keep much of Wilde’s writing and original intent in the film while minimizing references where he felt the Breen office would be compelled to take action.

Finally, the overall look of the film is magnificent (as noted it won an Academy Award), but has one unusual feature. While the film is in black and white, whenever we view Dorian’s larger than life-size portrait, the film changes to three-strip Technicolor. It’s beautiful (like Dorian) and rather startling in later moments of the film as we see his picture changed and distorted.

While The Picture of Dorian Gray is a fictitious story, there is much truth in it’s frames. As Wilde himself once said: “Each man kills the thing he loves.” Dorian’s tragedy was to find this out too late.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I've always liked this movie, but there are a lot of people who dislike it. Val Lewton considered it "tasteless," and I think Scott Eyman called it "airless and constipated" in "Lion of Hollywood."

Still, it is a very well-done movie. George Sanders gives one of his best performances, and the horror sequences, especially the murder of the artist, are very well done. Watching the movie on tape recently, I was amused at how the movie gradually shifts Sanders' character from a corruptive influence into a "wise old man/Professor Van Helsing" character by the end of the film by aging him.

As to the argument that we live in a Dorian Gray society, you might want to look up the story "Dorian in Excelsis" by Ray Bradbury which was written in the mid-90s. I think it is in "Quicker than Eye." It is one of Bradbury's best recent stories.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

This is a marvelous assessment of The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945), Mr. Arkadin. I've been frightened by this movie as a child and fascinated by it as an adult. It may be an "airless" film, but the story reflects much of what lay beneath Oscar Wilde's brilliantly witty surface, as he struggled with his own self-knowledge and his experience in society. Lewin's careful adaptation is beautifully done, is often haunting, and certainly has one of the most memorable endings ever.

Have you seen Albert Lewin's The Private Affairs of Bel Ami (1947)? It also stars George Sanders as the Guy de Maupassant character who schemes to climb the Parisian social ladder. It may not be as successful as Dorian, but truly interesting. It also gives Angela Lansbury a good part too during her early career.

MikeBSG,
Thanks so much for alerting me to that Ray Bradbury story. I will have to check it out.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

For some strange reason Dorian Gray reminds me of a former acting President of the United States . :wink:
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Thanks, Moira. I forgot to tell you I read your blog recently and enjoyed it very much. You are a wealth of information! 8) I learn so much from reading your work.

I have not seen Private Affairs, but will make it my business to do so. Sanders is always great in whatever he's in.

Mike, thanks for the Bradbury info. I will seek out his story. I have always admired his work. You are right about the murder scene where the swinging lamp obviously inspired a similar scene in Psycho (1960).

I also read Lion of Hollywood and vaguely remember that comment. All I can say is I love the themes, performances, and sets in this film and tried to convey why those things made it enjoyable for me.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Thanks to all of you for your interpretations of Dorian Grey. This movie has eluded me for years. That sounds strange but it really has. I saw it as a teen, so of course, it meant nothing to me, all I wanted was to see the painting toward the end and was disappointed when I did, because it didn't scare me, also, it was in B&W, no color TV yet.

The first time it came on TCM, I set my timer but something happened and I missed it, then the other night and two or three other times, I have begun to watch and fall asleep!!! I rarely do that during something I really want to see, so I can only imagine there is some kind of rhythmic interchange between the dialog and background music that works on my brain to lull me to sleep. I'm not kidding about this. The other night I literally fell asleep leaning on my hand and woke up with pins and needles sticking me from no blood getting to my fingers. I cannot stay awake. I love Angela Lansbury and think she is adorable in this, George Sanders irritates me like nobody else, and I'll always love Mrs. Mom, Donna Reed, so I like the cast well enough, there must be something in the wind. :cry:

When I was a teen, I saw it all the way through but I don't recall the ending, and so I've never seen the ending portrait in color, nor have I seen the artist killed. Some time it will be on in the daytime and I will soak my feet in ice water if necessary to stay awake to see it.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
nightwalker

Post by nightwalker »

We wish you well in your ongoing endeavors to see this film, Mrsl.

For me, the film's most telling moment comes at the climax, when Lord Wotton realizes the full implications of his life's philosophy, in fact, sees it moldering at his feet, and breathes "God forgive me!" Truly a compelling commentary on the ultimate reward of narcissism and selfishness.

PRIVATE AFFAIRS OF BEL AMI is quite good, featuring Sanders in the story of perhaps the ultimate social climber, and it bears certain themes in common with Sanders' later DEATH OF A SCOUNDREL, which is also worth seeing.
Erebus

Post by Erebus »

Mr. Arkadin, your insight into this film is simply brilliant, which puts a guy in mind of just how stunning Oscar Wilde must have been in person. The pearls delivered by the perfectly cast Sanders are pure cynical wisdom, as true as anything the frontal lobe has ever offered, but despite everything this is a movie about love, about love of life, or just about the centrality of love. And Oscar Wilde was a romantic.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Erebus, thanks for your kind words. Wilde once remarked that the the three men in the book consitute different views of his character. He claimed Basil most resembled who he actually was. Wotton was the preception others had of him, and Dorian (before his wish was granted) was his conception of who he would like to be.

An interesting bit of trivia, according to a recent bio I read, Wilde actually had a friend who was a painter on whom he molded Basil's character and derived the idea for the story. When the story was read, his family recognized him and was shocked at his friendship to Wilde. When the painter complained to OW, he remarked something to the effect that he'd "made him famous". His grandaughter turned out to be even more famous: Her name was Gloria Grahame.