New size of NOW PLAYING

Discussion of programming on TCM.
markfp

New size of NOW PLAYING

Post by markfp »

I know that this topic will start fist fights over at the TCM boards, so I thought we "more civilized" folks could discuss it here.

The November issue arrived today and TCM has shrunken the size. While it looks like that the content is the same, they've cut the page sizes and it appears they've used smaller fonts. While I prefer the old size, I guess I can live with it.

It's a common problem in the publishing world and a number of newspapers and magazines have done the same thing. I guess, with ever rising costs, they can either raise the cover price, cut editorial content and number of pages or cut the size. Of the three, I'll take the size cut.

Any thoughts?
Moraldo Rubini

Coming to a Mailbox Near You

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Mine still hasn't arrived. When I saw the title of this thread, I got all excited, "Yippee! Now Playing is going to be bigger now!" Darn. Another hope dashed. I look forward to seeing what you're talking about...
markfp

Post by markfp »

Moraldo, Sorry if I teased you. I didn't mean to get you all excited. Of course, I like your idea better then TCM's idea.

Mark
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Prepare for some crabbing...I received my last three copies late with the glossy cover torn and the outer cover missing. I'm blaming the USPS (not that I can do anything about it). Now I realize I've missed my renewal deadline. I just renewed last week and the best they tell me I can hope for is to get February's.
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

I'm not crazy about the new size because of the smaller fonts, but I guess I can live with it.

It's going to be a pain in the rear though, having to get up and take the thing under the light to be able to read it. I was on the borderline with this before...but suspect this size cut has pushed me over the line - I think it will be too small to read without direct light.
My wife said she'd help young people, ... That's what I'd do. Help young people, then buy a big motor home and get out of town.
~ Gary Cooper
vallo

Post by vallo »

Birdy, I think we have the same Mailman (or mail person) I've been subscribing to Now Playing for 2 years and I think I received one copy that wasn't damaged. I just got the November issue in good condition. But now they put tabs to hold the pages together until you open it. So of course I didn't realize this, pulled on the sides and destroyed most of the issue (*sigh) Plus I need a Magnifying Glass to read the new font.

vallo
"We're all forgotten sooner or later. But not films. That's all the memorial we should need or hope for."
-Burt Lancaster