The Unknown (1927)

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Mr. Arkadin

The Unknown (1927)

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

When one thinks of romantic characters, Lon Chaney’s name does not spring to mind. Remembered mostly for his extraordinary abilities with makeup (The Man of a Thousand Faces), and work in the Horror genre, Chaney seems totally unsuited for romantic roles. Not handsome like Valentino or possessing a great physique like Douglas Fairbanks, Chaney was a man of ordinary build and features. Yet when it came to love and sacrifice, there was no one who could compete on his level. His characters were always outsiders who yearned for love that was never realized and would go to tremendous lengths to prove themselves. In this light, it could be said that all of Chaney’s roles were romantic ones. There have been few in the history of cinema that suffered for love as his characters did.

The Unknown (1927) showing this weekend on TCM, is a case in point. Chaney plays Alonzo, an armless knife thrower in a circus. He’s deeply in love with his assistant Nanon (an early role for Joan Crawford), who has a deep resentment of men’s touch. She feels comfortable with Alonzo and is quite fond of him. Alonzo holds a dangerous secret from her in the fact that he actually does have arms (they are tied to his side in a corset he wears under his shirt). Alonzo is a criminal hiding from the law, but he worships Nanon and will do anything to possess her. He sabotages his main rival, Malabar the Strong Man whenever he can and tries desperately to win Nanon’s love. Finally, Alonzo resorts to blackmailing a doctor into amputating his own arms! When he recovers from his operation he discovers Nanon has fallen for Malabar and loves the feel of his arms around her. Now fully unhinged and thirsting for revenge, Alonzo plots a similar fate for the Strong Man.

Directed by Tod Browning who made several films with Chaney, The Unknown is probably the best example of their unique collaborations. Browning loved carnival or circus settings, often using them as a stage for his physically and emotionally maimed characters. The circus also carries the idea of role-playing and fantasy. People are often not their true selves, but providing an illusion to create others happiness, many times camouflaging their own pain or feelings to do so.

Alonzo is an evil man, but shows kindness and is tender to Nanon. She is his hope, an angel that has flown into his personal hell to befriend him. Whatever goodness remains in him comes to life in her presence. It’s this part of himself she stirs that he values above everything—even his own limbs. When he makes a devastating sacrifice for her and then realizes he is left with nothing, all he has left is hatred.

Chaney plays this bizarre part as only he can. Although some of the scenes used another actor’s legs, it’s Chaney’s face that reflects evil, hope, despair, and finally madness that legitimizes the film. Burt Lancaster in viewing this film remarked how Chaney influenced him, particularly in the scene where he discovers he has cut off his arms in vain and emotion just pours out of his features. At one point we see tears roll down his cheeks to which Nanon says to her lover “Look Alonzo is so happy for us he’s crying!” Twisted indeed.

Crawford is very young here, but does an excellent job walking a tightrope between purity and lust. Notice the scenes where she is in Malabar’s arms purring like a cat or cracking a whip during his performance in a brassier! These scenes are balanced with tenderness toward Alonzo and an almost childlike dependence upon him. One can hardly blame him for feeling betrayed.

The Unknown is an interesting title. It refers to Alonzo’s true nature, but also Nanon’s fear of touch. Both issues are what isolate these characters from love and fulfillment. Nanon overcomes her obstacle from within while Alonzo seeks to bypass his by changing his physical appearance. This is why Nanon finds happiness, but Alonzo is driven mad. We cannot change our nature by physical means. Change begins inside an individual and flows outward to action. Alonzo is touched by love, but is unable to give or receive it. He in fact, discards his physical sense of touch through amputation. Though capable of great sacrifice, his early motivation is selfishness and possession. He does not understand love’s true nature until he takes Nanon’s place in death. This last act of selflessness joins him to Nanon, for by saving her life she becomes the point of his redemption.
Last edited by Mr. Arkadin on October 23rd, 2007, 6:52 am, edited 5 times in total.
Erebus

Post by Erebus »

I'm not a silent movie fanatic at all and in fact I've watched all of four silent movies since I became a TCM junkie about four years ago, but I am so glad I finally caught up with this film. I was drawn in by the Cheney-Crawford pairing, and then learned a lot.

But the reason I'm commenting is the soundtrack, which totally blew me away. As I was watching I assumed it was part of TCM's composer contest but a little research informed me that it's actually Phillip Johnston, a jazz musician I'd never heard of (I'm also not a jazz guy), who composed it for release to accompany the film back in 1994. Apparently the soundtrack is out of print, though available used. It's very impressive just as a work on its own. Quite imaginative.

edit: I meant to thank you Mr. Arkadin for the alert, which I saw only after having watched the film. It is impressive how the filmmakers utilized the arms as a theme for all it was worth. And it was delightful to see such a young Crawford. She must have had a lot of fun being so young and powerful. She looked like a woman who knew how to get a lot out of being young. Good for her.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I saw this one a few years ago and was very impressed. Chaney's performance is superb, especially when he realizes he has lost his arms for nothing.

Crawford was the real revelation. Even if you didn't know she became a big star, she had such fire in this part that you had to predict big things for her.

In a way, it reminded me of Susan Hayward in "Among the Living," another horror film in which the heroine went on to a far bigger career.
nicki

Post by nicki »

I love THE UNKNOWN, it has to be one of my favorite silent films, I fell in love with this film first time saw it. It has to be one of the best of the Chaney-Browning films. I just love Chaney's performance in it, and Crawford's performance is wonderful in it too.
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Hi Nicki,

Welcome aboard! I think you'll enjoy the time you spend here. It's a great bunch of people with an incredible amount of knowledge to share, and not a bad egg in the entire clan!

As always,

Hollis
nicki

Post by nicki »

Thanks for welcoming me, Hollis, I know I'll enjoy my time here.
vallo

Post by vallo »

I first became interested in Chaney after watching West of Zanzibar on TCM (another film by Tod Browning). The Man can twist his body to look like "Square Knot" if he wanted too. His emotions tell the story without words. I was amazed at "The Unknown" and how he did everything with his feet. Even pinching the corners of his eyes, with his toes and smoke cigarettes (it blew me away). I may have overlooked silents in the past. But Chaney has me wanting to watch alot more of his films.

vallo
"We're all forgotten sooner or later. But not films. That's all the memorial we should need or hope for."
-Burt Lancaster
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I strongly recommend the Chaney film "He Who Gets slapped." The scene in which he is humiliated and then the scene in which he recreates his humiliation in clownface are incredible. Really, "They had faces then."