A Woman's Face (1941)

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Mr. Arkadin

A Woman's Face (1941)

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Comes on late tonight. This will soon be released in the new Crawford box set. I love this film. Any other takers on this one?
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

I've never seen it and will be taping! It's great seeing a sixty-five year old film for the first time!
Erebus

Post by Erebus »

Hadn't seen it before, but did enjoy it. Plot was really well put together, though I might have preferred presentation without the trial witness device. That might have made it tighter, and shorter, but it's hard to argue with the film as it turned out. It was refreshing to see Melvyn Douglas in a more serious role, though his characteristic goodwill was still showing.
Last edited by Erebus on November 9th, 2007, 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

It's got moments of total unbelievability that are sometimes fantasy like, (the sleigh chase) other times just funny. I find the court sequence more on the humorous side, but that's what makes it a unique film in the Crawford cannon.
feaito

Post by feaito »

I watched it once in the 1980s and I liked it very much. I thought that Crawford did an excellent job and there's an excellent supporting cast. It's good to hear it will be released on DVD. I've always been intrigued by the Swedish first version of this film, that was done in the 1930s and starred a pre-Hollywood Ingrid Bergman. Has anyone seen it?
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I think that A Woman's Face (1941) is a near great movie, and perfect viewing late at night on TCM. Not only does Joan Crawford give one of her most sensitive performances under George Cukor's fine direction, but she and the compelling Conrad Veidt are the real couple to watch in this film. Even though Veidt had only third billing, his appealingly flawed character brings out the most complex reactions in Crawford and the viewer.
This little seen movie also has elements of film noir and gothic tales. A reasonable viewer might well question some of the more absurd plot turns, (that almost hearken back to early silents & 19th century melodramas such as East Lynne), but once this story draws you in, a viewer can get caught up in the story completely.

Another feature of this movie that I loved was the extended time that the film took in featuring particular moments for the many supporting players to create their beautifully rendered miniature portraits. You can almost sense Cukor relishing the delightful and slightly sinister work of Donald Meeks, Reginald Owen, Connie Gilchrist, Albert Basserman, and especially that of Marjorie Main. I should also mention Osa Massen, a real beauty who never seems to have caught on in Hollywood--though of course that might be because she played little vixens so well, and didn't seem particularly interested in being a "nice" girl.

Fernando,
The original Swedish version, En Kvinnas Ansikte (1938) has been shown on TCM within the last year or so though the print was rather poor. I thought that Bergman was unbelievably young and gave a more agitated performance than Crawford, with more of an edge to her bitterness. It would be fun to see this movie along with A Woman's Face as a double bill. Have you seen the Swedish version of Intermezzo(1936) as well as Ingrid Bergman's American take made by Selznick in '39 with Leslie Howard? Both movies are terrifically theatrical and very well done.
Last edited by moira finnie on November 9th, 2007, 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
feaito

Post by feaito »

moirafinnie wrote:Fernando,
The original Swedish version, En Kvinnas Ansikte (1938) has been shown on TCM within the last year or so though the print was rather poor. I thought that Bergman was unbelievably young and gave a more agitated performance than Crawford, with more of an edge to her bitterness. It would be fun to see this movie along with A Woman's Face as a double bill. Have you seen the Swedish version of Intermezzo(1936) as well as Ingrid Bergman's American take made by Selznick in '39 with Leslie Howard? Both movies are terrifically theatrical and very well done.
Thanks for the information Moira.

And no, I haven't ever watched any of the "Intermezzo" films. I remember I taped once the 1939 Hollywood remake, but I have never got around to watching it. Maybe it's because I suspect that the print (which was aired on local TV) is not very good :?
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I like this movie very much. I think it's one of Crawford's best performances, and it shows that Cukor could make even a "woman's picture" dark and atmospheric when called for. The climactic scene of danger on the gondola over snowy mountains is very well done.

I agree that the addition of the stellar character actors keep the movie from seeming too soppy.

Although the Swedish movie predates the Hollywood version, the story is actually based on a French play, "Il Etait Une Fois" (There Once Was/Once Upon a Time).
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Good movie, which I've seen previously. However, although the story, plot, and characters were well done, I'm afraid my attention was captured by Marjorie Main in this unique (for her) role. Being so used to seeing Ms. Main in her normally unkempt, loud and lovable state, seeing her as the formidable and non-trusting housekeeper was an eye opener. This reaction occurred the first time I saw this movie, and again last night. I had read or heard that in the beginning Ms. Main did several serious roles before switching to comedic ones, but this is the only sample I've ever seen.

The courtroom scenes were unusual to say the least but the sleigh sequence was comic with the sharp turns and 'S' curves, but overall I did like the film, and though not normally a Crawford fan, she did manage to hold my interest for the whole movie.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Moraldo Rubini

Triple Threat

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

I'd like to add that A Woman's Face was the icing on the cake of a very enjoyable evening with TCM. Ida Lupino's The Hard Way and then Escape with Crawford's competition, Norma Shearer made for a really fun night with the tube.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I had read or heard that in the beginning Ms. Main did several serious roles before switching to comedic ones, but this is the only sample I've ever seen. ~MrsL
Hi Anne,
I hope that you'll have a chance to see Dead End (1938) some day. Marjorie Main is unforgettable as Humphrey Bogart's bitter mother. I also think that you'd enjoy the role of another mother who has to face her own prejudices when an Army friend of her late son comes to call in the anthology movie, It's a Big Country (1951). She's magnificent and dramatic in both.

I can appreciate Marjorie Main's dramatic talent, but I sure wish that the Ma and Pa Kettle movies were among the franchises being shown this month on TCM! Some of those movies crack me up, especially the first in which Main appeared as Ma Kettle. This film, the Fred MacMurray-Claudette Colbert comedy, The Egg and I (1947), also has some small dramatic elements provided largely by Main's character.
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

feaito, I saw the Swedish version of A Woman's Face on TCM when it was shown a few years ago. I loved it. I haven't seen the Crawford version.

Sandy K
feaito

Post by feaito »

sandykaypax wrote:feaito, I saw the Swedish version of A Woman's Face on TCM when it was shown a few years ago. I loved it. I haven't seen the Crawford version.

Sandy K
Thanks for the information Sandy.