Alton Brown tonight

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Did anyone out there care for The Visit with Ingrid Bergman and Anthony Quinn?
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
feaito

Post by feaito »

Sue Sue Applegate wrote:Did anyone out there care for The Visit with Ingrid Bergman and Anthony Quinn?
Sue Sue,

A very dear uncle of mine has been looking for this film for decades! Was it aired on TCM?
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Anne,

While Closely watched Trains might seem to be about sex, this film and The Shop on Main Street are actually anticommunist Czechoslovakian films hidden under the guise of a WWII backdrop. I would hardly compare this film with Barberella. If I were to say something about The Searchers being about some angry man who was gonna kill someone and chickened out at the end, I might be technically right in some areas, but I would have completely misunderstood what the whole film was about.

I also find it incredulous that someone can look at the titles of four films a person chose, and perceive they never grew up mentally, or judge their character. Almost every western has a shooting. Am I to guess that a lover of westerns is a violent person? Of course not.

Although the Woody Allen film is farce, all three others are quite deep with multiple layers and are not simple one-watch films. While there might be sexuality or violence in some of them (as are in most movies), these are not the actual themes.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Mr. Arkadin wrote:heck, there's a 60's film in my avatar at the moment
I'm so intrigued by your avatar and I've been wanting to ask you to which film it belongs...and who are the actors?... Is it Vittorio Gassman one of them?
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

feaito, I saw The Visit on cable last month somewhere. But I don't think it was TCM ( Maybe on Retroplex?) . I first saw it in the late sixties on television for the first time. I think Anthony Quinn produced it, or co-produced it or something.

I thought Bergman was great in it. For some reason, whenever I saw this film, it reminded me of Shirley Jackson's short story,"The Lottery", but I read on imdb that it originally was a play in French or German.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

feaito wrote:
I'm so intrigued by your avatar and I've been wanting to ask you to which film it belongs...and who are the actors?... Is it Vittorio Gassman one of them?
Hi Feaito. That's a still from Roman Polanski's Knife in the Water (1963). The actors are Leon Niemczyk and Zygmunt Malanowicz. Yes, I had to look it up. I'm a bad enough speller as it is, but I had more chance of winning the lottery than getting those names right! :wink:
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Sue Sue Applegate wrote:feaito, I saw The Visit on cable last month somewhere. But I don't think it was TCM ( Maybe on Retroplex?) . I first saw it in the late sixties on television for the first time. I think Anthony Quinn produced it, or co-produced it or something.

I thought Bergman was great in it. For some reason, whenever I saw this film, it reminded me of Shirley Jackson's short story,"The Lottery", but I read on imdb that it originally was a play in French or German.
This sounds like a very interesting film. Details?
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Mr. A, Due to a youthful indiscretion/slight, Ingrid's character leaves town after being spurned by Quinn and it sort of ends up like a female version of The Count of Monte Cristo, but on a much more neorealist- kind- of- inner-landscape-of- turmoil-turned-revenge culminating in a town judgement scenario.

Ingrid was great. Anthony Quinn was, too.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
feaito

Post by feaito »

Mr. Arkadin wrote:
feaito wrote:
Hi Feaito. That's a still from Roman Polanski's Knife in the Water (1963). The actors are Leon Niemczyk and Zygmunt Malanowicz. Yes, I had to look it up. I'm a bad enough speller as it is, but I had more chance of winning the lottery than getting those names right! :wink:
Thanks Mr. Ark...those Polish names are indeed hard to spell!
feaito

Post by feaito »

Sue Sue Applegate wrote:feaito, I saw The Visit on cable last month somewhere. But I don't think it was TCM ( Maybe on Retroplex?) . I first saw it in the late sixties on television for the first time. I think Anthony Quinn produced it, or co-produced it or something.

Thanks Sue Sue, my uncle is kind of determined to obtain this film. He's a diplomat and has lived in many countries all over the world and never has been able to find it, either on VHS or DVD.
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

Oops, I posted a PM to Feaito asking that a thread be started about THE VISIT so that I could later do a search for that title and locate the UserIDs who were interested in that film.

Then as I scrolled back, I see SUE had mentioned it as well.

I've put feelers out to some non-American friends to have them add this to their Watch-For Lists, but if and when they reply, I won't remember that THE VISIT's interested parties are chatting in the ALTON BROWN thread.

So I was hoping someone would start a THE VISIT thread and have interested folks post there for later notification. I could start one, but only my UserID would be associated with it.