Holiday Promo

Discussion of programming on TCM.
mrsl

Holiday Promo

Post by mrsl »

Wonder of wonders, I really do like the holiday promo this year. I think the B&W format, and the Busby Berkely reference is perfect for a channel that shows classic movies. It definitely demonstrates the aura of classic movies.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Anne,

I, too, think it is a nifty promo.

Started this thread about it in the Classic Cinema College forum:

http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis/viewtopic.php?t=1228
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Bogie

Post by Bogie »

I'll have to look out for it tho i'm not a huge fan of the whole Busby Berkely choreography LOL.
Moraldo Rubini

It's beginning to look a lot like Berkeley

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

I love it too! Does anyone know what the footage is from? It's certainly influenced by Busby Berkeley, if it isn't from the man himself. And that looks like Billy Barty catching the "snow"ball.
TalkieTime

Post by TalkieTime »

The 2007 "TCM Happy Holidays" promo is taken from Gold Diggers of 1933 in a sequence beginning about 39 minutes into the film. The sequence is part of one version of "Pettin' in the Park." The TCM letters and logos were added by TCM. The "baby" is Billy Barty.

View it here beginning about 4:20 into this clip:

Last edited by TalkieTime on December 2nd, 2007, 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

The "TCM Happy Holidays" promo is taken from Gold Diggers of 1933 in a sequence beginning about 39 minutes into the film. The sequence is part of one version of "Pettin' in the Park." Of course the TCM letters and logos were added by TCM. In order to have "TCM" viewed in order on the balls the film clip is run backward at that spot. The "baby" is Billy Barty.

I copied the above from a poster on the TCM boards. So far, no one has been able to indentify the background song/singer. This is a very cute promo, but it is not new; I recall TCM running it several years ago. In any case it is now a "classic" promo and deserves to be repeated!

TalkieTime - you beat me by a minute - I hope you don't mind that I used your reply.
TalkieTime

Post by TalkieTime »

No problem Jezebel38.

After my initial posting on TCM FredCDobbs posted the link that I have added to my post.

In my post I removed the sentence about running a portion of the clip backward because that portion was actually reproduced by inverting the picture so that "TCM" might be read from left to right. In the original clip the balls were viewed from right to left.

I made this somewhat vague comment in the Oasis Classic Cinema College forum on 11/26:

Seems like we're digging some gold from 1933.
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

I finally saw the promo a couple times today and I must say it's an infectious and cute little promo. I especially love the song. Too bad no one knows who sang it or what it's called.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

The Drifters did a version of White Christmas that is very similar to the Holiday promo but in all the Itunes selections I listened to, the song starts out the way it does in the promo but doesn't have the same lyrics.

I'm wondering if the Drifters did a long version of the song. Many times lyricists would add a beginning to a song, ie Silver Bells and White Christmas (the Rosemary Clooney version where she sings about dreaming of White Christmas while in Beverly Hills).

Perhaps that is what happened here and TCM just used the beginning of the piece for the promo?

Is it anywhere on their website? They used to have their promos up there but since putting in their Media Room I can't find the darn promos.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

I saw the promo again last night and had this thought.

The beginning vocals are definitely the Drifters.

However the main body of the song, at the beginning it sounds like there is an edit.

I'm wondering if the piece was cut to the Drifters (with Clyde McPhatter as the lead singer) version of White Christmas but then for whatever reason, the song with McPhatter singing could not be obtained.

So, they kept the doo-wop part with the Drifters, wrote some new lyrics and hired someone to sing the main body of the song.

Just a thought. Either way it's a very infectious promo always making me smile.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

vallo

Post by vallo »

I wrote TCM and hopefully they'll answer The $1,000000. question. Who sings the 2007 Holiday promo.

Bill
"We're all forgotten sooner or later. But not films. That's all the memorial we should need or hope for."
-Burt Lancaster
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

vallo wrote:I wrote TCM and hopefully they'll answer The $1,000000. question. Who sings the 2007 Holiday promo.

Bill
I hope they reply to you in a prompt manner. I'd love to know as well.
benwhowell

The $1,000,000 Question

Post by benwhowell »

I always love TCM's "promos" and I always have to stop what I'm doing to watch this current (retro) holiday one airing. It's so cool to see "baby" Billy Barty and I LOVE the song too. (I keep hoping I'll find it on one of my Christmas compilation CDs with "re-mixes" of "classic" Cristmas songs. There's a great "re-mix" of Duke Ellington's "Jingle Bells" that would be great for TCM's holiday promo next year.)
I'm sure everyone must have seen Target's commercials this year. They always use "previously recorded" (somewhat obscure) songs. Anyone familiar with the song/artist? And, more importantly, lyrics? I still haven't been able to figure out the first line..."The holidays are something, something, something...We're counting down..."
Handsome Johnny Eck
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

Hi Ben - long time no see! Eck,Eck,Eck EEEEK! Make him go away.....