The Conquerors

Discussion of programming on TCM.
mrsl

The Conquerors

Post by mrsl »

Did anyone see this one during the night? It was on at 4:00 a.m. my time, and starred Richard Dix and Ann Harding. I enjoyed it a lot, but I wish they had made it longer by covering more details. If you don't know your history, you can easily be lost by what is happening. But it was made in 1932 so I guess it was just yesterdays news at that point.

I was a little shocked when Dix mentioned Television, yes TV, which is why I checked to see when it was made. Ann Harding sure looked nice compared to the way she usually does, like a middle aged matron with her hair in that fierce center part, over the ears chignon style. In this one her face was framed with soft curls and waves and she really looked pretty. Dix played the lead who aged about 55 years, and also played his own grandson, and of course they just used the 'back to the camera' technique, but I like that considering family features usually do go from generation to generation.

It's about a banking family and how they handle the various market crashes, and they use Richard and Ann's marriage as the background. It's quite a good movie, and I don't recall it being on previously.

Anyone else see it?

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
markfp

Post by markfp »

I recorded it, but haven't watched it yet. Sounds interesting. Will look forward to watching it later this weekend.
klondike

Post by klondike »

Hey, Anne!

Evidently, Dix was drawn to the "life span/next generation" plot element, or screenwriters liked framing him into it, cause your description of The Conquerors reminds me strongly of his role in The Transatlantic Tunnel.
Remember my description of that movie way back when, Anne, over on the TCM site?
That was our first "exchange"! :)
What fun we've had since then! 8)
With & without the sparks! :wink:
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

SPARKS!! What sparks, we don't do no sparks!

Actually that is my favorite kind of book or movie. I love generational stories, and every now and then one comes along that is unforgettable. After seeing this version again, I've seen both of them now, at least 2 or 3 times, I have to say, Edna Ferber really wrote a lot of mush. Between Cimmarron, with the wife being so understanding and willing to wait, So Big where the son was such a jerk, and Giant, again where the wife was so understanding of her husband and his silly 'I can do better than you' games, I'm kind of surprised H'wood made so many of her books into movies. When I was younger, I mentioned I liked generational books and someone told me to check out Ferber, and I ended up reading most of her stuff . . . like I said, I was much younger.

To be honest Klondike, I don't recall your original post, although I'll take your word for it, remember, my short term memory, go back a couple of years and I remember, but months is a no, no. Anyway, do you recall what your impression was of the tunnel thing, or of Dix and Harding in The Conquerors?

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
OScott

Conquerors

Post by OScott »

As I am researching Ann Harding, I would very much appreciate getting a copy of The Conquerors. That film, along with Girl of The Golden West are the only two I am missing. I'm especially intrigued after reading these comments. The reviews from 1932-33 claimed the film paled in comparison to Cimarron. Help!?! :?