Love with the Proper Stranger: on TCM!

Discussion of programming on TCM.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Watching this movie yesterday brought back some memories, both good ones and not so great ones.

This movie made me really think I could make it on my own, but I didn't even get OUT the door. A friend who did, and had her own teeny apartment, was our hero. We all spent more time there than at home. This movie made all of us think outside the box, and that there might just be life outside of marriage. I think Natalie's depiction of a woman struggling to break free hit a cord with me and with most of my friends.

As usual, this is not a scholarly review, just recollections of how I felt when I saw it. But thanks for listening.
Nancy
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I get the vibes that I stepped on a few toes in my post. Not meaning to do that, I am truly amazed at the size of her single apartment. Having friends who lived off campus in apartments near their colleges, I never saw one so small as Natalies'. Although I will concede hers was lovely compared to the one Shirley MacLaine had in Two for the Seesaw, which was almost the same size. As for her opportunities, the only chance she had to have a choice was to move away from home. In 1963 an Italian family would rather have you unhappily married to a stranger, than to have an illegitimate baby - trust me, I was there the year before that!!!!!

If you think back, when she asked Steve if he could get the name of a doctor, she never said what for, it was impossible for her to say 'a doctor who will perform an abortion'. She just kind of squinted up her face and talked out of the side of her mouth, saying she needed a DOCtor. I did mean to say something about McQueen's quiet scenes. Not a big fan of his, I never realized he could say so much without opening his mouth. I'm used to him in things like The Great Escape and Pappillon, not a contemporary guy.

Thanks for the comments

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
benwhowell

Bells and banjos

Post by benwhowell »

I'd forgotten that Natalie worked (in the pet department!) at Macy's. I'm sure that must have been an intentional nod to "Miracle On 34TH Street?"
That brought back memories of hanging out in the pet department at Woolworth's.
I really enjoyed the whole theme of "introducing" us to this couple during their "introductions." And seeing McQueen's feelings for Natalie evolve-from not even recognizing (!) her from their one night stand to respecting her strength to being knocked out (duh) by her physical beauty on their first real date.
It may be a cliche, but she made him a better man.
Handsome Johnny Eck
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Oh, Ben. That is exactly how I felt about this film.

And the fact that McQueen's best moments are nonverbal ones.

This is the first time I've seen this film all the way through, and I adored it. I think it's Natalie Wood's best adult role.

I'm glad we've all found some of the same elements of this wonderful film to enjoy.