Rose McGowen

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

Yes, it's fascinating to see how far some use the Sex Sells adage and where they censor it. I rather prefer Hollywood deliver its sex to me a la Deanna Durbin's great look at the end of LADY ON A TRAIN.

I'd love for them to bring in older film participants as others have noted: "They aren't going to be around forever."

Eli Wallach, who was active enough to be a great contributor to the good-enough 2006 THE HOLIDAY - frankly, his appearance alone makes me recommend that picture.

Lauren Bacall has been mentioned. Audrey Totter would be a favorite, too. They've probably only got about 200 or 600 retired film professionals to choose from.

So Rose it is. I'd love to hear what an older film star might tell us about some of the Essentials when they were first delivered, and how they regarded them over time. That's something Rose can't do. Gee - I hope I have enough dollar bills on me to fold long-ways when she's on...
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

While I'm not a fan of sex selling anything (but it pretty much sells everything), given the promos and ads TCM has run over the last year, this seems to be the direction they wish to pursue. Therefore, it's understandable why they made the choice they did. Kimpunkrock at the TCM forum made a similar point about RO using some of these great older stars while they are still available, and I would be in agreement with that. I rarely watch The Essentials though, because I usually have the films anyway. If TCM is going to attract a younger generation, they need one of their own and I guess Rose is as good a choice as any.