No, I didn't find it impressive in 1968!

Discussion of programming on TCM.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

John:

I've seen dull movies, I've slept through boring movies, I've walked out on dull, boring movies, but 2001: a Space Odyssey is the only movie I ever asked for my money back. I'm embarrassed to admit it today, but I was absolutely furious halfway through that mess when I finally went and found the manager, he fought me, but I fought right back and got my money.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I'm with both of you. I saw it on the big screen and while I didn't ask for my money back I rank it only slightly better than waiting for three hours at the Motor Vehicle Dept. (At least I could get popcorn at the movie.)
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Don't agree, folks. I watched it again last night, with all the lights turned out, the closest I could come to simulating seeing it on a big screen, and I liked it all over again, with reservations. My main reservation is the ending, which has a kind of "throwaway" feel to it, and doesn't really fit with the monumental feel of the rest of the movie. Besides - if some higher powers were re-starting the human race, wouldn't they need a bubble boy and a bubble girl?

I also don't agree about what the film meant "back then." Everyone I knew who saw it felt that it represented our fearful images of what space travel must be like. The slow, silent, deliberate pace of the film is the director's idea of how it would feel to be sailing off to Jupiter. Granted, not a trip everyone would relish. The tedium you might feel watching the film was done on purpose. If you're not willing to go with the flow, so to speak, then you're going to find this movie very tough going. I found HAL even creepier and more threatening this time. The moral was clear to me: man will triumph over machine, but never over Fate.

And I thought the effects were excellent, and perfectly credible within the context of the film and the time period of its making. The ordinariness of the furniture and such was meant to give the thing a "real" grounding. 2001 was a bit less than 40 years forward from the making of the film, so flights of fancy as to surroundings was kept to a minimum.

It was said that the blackout ending after the credits, with the music still playing, was put in so that the audience could talk about what they just saw. And when I saw this movie for the first time in a theater, that's just what we did. I would love to see it again on the big screen.
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

I too find it sluggish and way too slooooww in so many places. However, it's a film that is clearly more "important" than "good". The slow parts, the great long stretches of nothingness, are interesting to me as film-experiments. "Does this work? Is this the technique that should proliferate in films?"

Gladly, few of these techniques are carried over into all films since then, and even the 2010 sequel.

I think it's a strong piece for Film Student Homework. I'd assign it the same class about 10 straight days, non-stop watching, with their eyes propped open.

And then see if they'd EVER employ any of those techniques.

Oh wait... wasn't that someone else's idea long ago? Hmmm... seems like that idea was filmed a bit later. Gee - I wonder why?

As for re-watchings, there are good prints making theaters every year so we'll see it every few years. In 2006, we did, but we skipped it last year.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I've never especially liked "2001." The caveman scenes are neat, and I like HAL and "open the pod bay doors," but as a whole, the film is my least favorite Kubrick film, far below "Barry Lyndon" and "Lolita," to say nothing of "Dr. Strangelove," "Paths of Glory" and "A Clockwork Orange."

I saw the movie in the early 80s on a big screen (the old Colony theater in Shaker Hts. Ohio). The thing I noticed was that people lit joints toward the end of the film, the "starchild" sequence.
benwhowell

Post by benwhowell »

I saw it (for the first time) on a big screen-in the '80's at The Orpheum in Memphis, TN-and was blown away...without firing up a joint. :wink:
I later bought a (used) VHS copy and watch it when I'm in the mood for a ponderous, gravity-defying "opus."
Kubrick, IMHO, is a master at making the mundane thrilling...I never noticed it before, but "Lolita" has a few (long) "blackouts" between scenes. I don't know why he chose to do that, but it really worked for me. I had the feeling it was a commentary on censorship?
Anyway, I still love the effects in "2001..." And that Ikea look. :)
I also think HAL is one of the most frightening screen "villians." I'll never completely trust machinery.
Handsome Johnny Eck
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

I first saw 2001 in Columbus, OH at a Lowe's in 1972. Luckily, I read the book before I saw the film and was able to follow the story line and explain it to my date as the story unfolded. Unfortunately, a pair of 30-somthing couples were sitting behind us and complained throughout the entire movie that they didn't understand a thing that was going on. Since I was only 21 at the time, I didn't want to fill them in on what everything meant. I know that they wouldn't have appreciated my input since they were sophisticated young professionals and I was a mere child.

Even knowing Arthur C. Clarke's story, it was difficult to get into the movie completely. Much of it dragged and seemed to try to get by on the spectacle of outer space. Much of the music composed for the film, although considered "classical", was too out there for my tastes.

I'll still watch it on occassion, but I don't mind splitting my attention with other things, like surfing the internet as the movies plays. Just don't ask me to interpret it for you. :lol:
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
dianabat

Post by dianabat »

Try as I might, I am not a fan of this movie. Glad to see there are others who find it as tedious as I do.
benwhowell wrote:Kubrick, IMHO, is a master at making the mundane thrilling...
Hee! Ben, I was just thinking that Kubrick is a master at making the thrilling mundane... :wink:

Di
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

"The Sentinel," the Arthur C. Clarke story that was the basis for the movie, is very good.

Did Clarke write the novel as he wrote the screenplay? I don't think this was a standard "novelization," but I've forgotten the details.
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

I tried watching 2001 when I was 10 years old: hated it
I tried watching 2001 when I was 15 years old: hated it
I tried watching 2001 right now at age 28: I still hate it

Seriously the first 25 minutes of the movie is so slow and cumbersome that it puts me to sleep or annoys the crap out of me. I think this is one of the most overrated sci-fi movies ever made.

At least the sequel 2010 was a lot better. :)
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I watched it at 20.
I watched it at 40.
I watched it at 63.

Never had a joint with it, but then I never had a joint - period.
Maybe a drink would have helped - but I gave up drinking 20 years ago.
Can't think of a thing that would have helped 2001.

At least 2010 started with some action with what's his name climbing up that ladder to talk to Roy S. I liked Scheider in some of his roles, I'm sorry he's gone.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************