Rogue Cop (1954)/ Tight Spot (1955)

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

moirafinnie wrote:
Bogie, what's this 'feverish stupor' you mention? Hope you're feeling better.
Thanks for the concern. I had a virulent chest cold that evolved into the worst cough i've ever had. I'm fine now though still not 100%. (i'm about 99.9% better tho)
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

If anyone wants another chance to get "Tight Spot" it airs at 8:15am Sunday the 6th of Sept.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
molo

Post by molo »

Hi Molo -- I think any time the discussion about a film drifts into one about the hairstyle of the actress then it's safe to say that there's something deficient about the film. Phil Karlson, the director of TIGHT SPOT made several far superior noir films during his career, namely SCANDAL SHEET (52), KANSAS CITY CONFIDENTIAL (52), 99 RIVER STREET (53) and PHENIX CITY STORY (55). The same could be said for Roy Rowland, who directed ROGUE COP. His noirs WITNESS FOR MURDER (54) (also just recently aired on TCM). SCENE OF THE CRIME (49) and THE GIRL HUNTERS (63) are all far more compelling films.
Hi Dewey,
That's a good point, of all the films you listed the only ones I've seen are Scandal Sheet and Witness to Murder. I did find a copy of Kansas City Confidential in a noir DVD set I had. I watched it last night and it was indeed a great film. I had heard a lot about it but for some reason I never watched it until now. It was well paced, the story kept me in it's grip. I liked seeing a young Jack Elam and I thought John Payne was very good. Oh, and I never once gave a second thought to Coleen Gray's hair. :) Thanks for recommending it.
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Yo, Molo! Glad you had a chance to catch up with K.C. CONFIDENTIAL, a truly extraordinary noir. John Payne seems to be one of those actors who's fallen through the cracks, which is a real shame. He also stars in Karlson's 99 RIVER STREET, another top-notch noir which, unfortunately has never been commercially released on VHS or DVD. It does turn up on TCM once in a while, though. Watch for it!
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Dewey sez:
John Payne seems to be one of those actors who's fallen through the cracks, which is a real shame.
Yes, indeed. Marvelous performances in my favorite Allan Dwan movies, SILVER LODE (1954) and SLIGHTLY SCARLET (1956), with cinematography by John Alton, I might add.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Here's a nice little clip of JOHN PAYNE with Shelley Winters in the 1948
B noir LARCENY. Dan Duryea, Joan Caulfield and the incomparable
Percy Helton are in it, too.
[youtube][/youtube]