TCM September 2008 Schedule is Up

Discussion of programming on TCM.
moira finnie
Administrator

TCM September 2008 Schedule is Up

Post by moira finnie »

Here's the September Schedule for TCM.

Take a look at Thursdays in September. Kay Francis is the SOTM.

Later in the month, classic Disney flicks such as Old Yeller, Swiss Family Robinson.

Silent Sunday Night's are back too, (along with other silents sprinkled throughout the month). Yippee.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

BLAAAAHHH

Most of that schedule sucks IMO however i'm eagerly awaiting the Kay Francis SOTM. She was a pretty controversial actress and reading the synopses of the movies it seemed a lot of the plots were rather rote by today's standards but they were very controversial back then.

Other then that though i'm excited big time to finally see Gabriel Over The White House!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Well, call me Pollyanna, but there are several
items on the September schedule that interest me, and maybe others.
I'm with ya, Bogie regarding
Gabriel Over the White House at midnight on 9/18!
It's one of the most fascinating American movies
of any year, let alone in the year 1933 and from MGM:

9/4
8:00 PM
Raffles(1930) w/ Ronald *sigh* Colman & Kay Francis.
The early version of the gentleman cracksman movie,
which is new to me, though it has a very good reputation.

9/9
10:30 AM
Light In The Piazza (1962)
A woman's efforts to marry off her daughter are
hindered by a family secret. Cast: Olivia de Havilland,
Yvette Mimieux, George Hamilton. Dir: Guy Green.
102 mins, TV-PG, CC, Letterbox Format
I haven't seen this in years, and hope that it is as
charming thanks to
Olivia de Havilland-Rosanno Brazzi's flirtation and Italy as I recall.

9/11
4:00 AM
Washington Merry-Go-Round (1932)
A young congressman tries to rid Washington of
corruption while courting a senator's daughter.
Cast: Lee Tracy,
Constance Cummings, Walter Connolly.
Dir: James Cruze. BW-79 mins, TV-G
I've a weakness for Lee Tracy's fast-talking
brashness, and, of course, films about Washington
corruption are always fresh, alas.

9:30 PM
Cynara (1932)
Ronald Colman & Kay Francis.
As I recall, the acting, especially by
Colman & a frisky Henry Stephenson, was
very good. Hard to recall Kay
as a wronged wife, but it should be a must-see
for many of us.

11:00 PM
A Notorious Affair (1930)
A beautiful noblewoman gives up wealth
and society for love of a two-timing musician.
Cast: Billie Dove, Basil Rathbone, Kay Francis.
Dir: Lloyd Bacon. BW-67 mins, TV-G
I just finished reading Scott O'Brien's highly
entertaining review of this film, so I'm eager
to see this one. Love anything with Basil + Kay
since seeing Confession (1937)

9/16
7:15 AM
Child of Manhattan (1933)
A taxi dancer tries to pick up the pieces when
her marriage to a millionaire playboy collapses.
Cast: Nancy Carroll, John Boles, Buck Jones.
Dir: Edward Buzzell. BW-70 mins, TV-PG
Our friend Feaito has written about the charm of
Nancy Carroll in the past. I'm really hoping that
this will be a good example of the forgotten
star's work.

8:30 AM
Lady By Choice (1934)
Cast: Carole Lombard, May Robson
BW-76 mins, TV-G
Does anyone know anything about this one??

10:00 AM
The Lady Is Willing (1942)
A Broadway star has to find a husband so she
can adopt an abandoned child.
Cast: Marlene Dietrich, Fred MacMurray,
Aline MacMahon. Dir: Mitchell Leisen.
BW-92 mins.
Well, I like Dietrich, love Fred & Aline, think the
world of Mitchell Leisen, but wonder what they could
all be doing together? Anyone know this film?

9/18
6:00 PM
A Town Like Alice (1958)
Virginia McKenna & Peter Finch.
A terrific story familiar to many of us
Americans via the great mini-series version
with Bryan Brown & Helen Morse.
Since I love McKenna & Finch during this stage
of their careers, I suspect that it will be
very worthwhile.

9/20
12:15 AM
Enter Laughing (1967)
An aspiring actor gets a job with a broken-down theatre
company.
Cast: Reni Santoni, Jose Ferrer, Elaine May.
Dir: Carl Reiner. C-111 mins, TV-PG, Letterbox Format
This Carl Reiner autobiography was very funny
once upon a time. I hope that it holds up.

9/21
12:15 AM
Victim (1961)
A closeted lawyer risks his career to bring a blackmailer
to justice. Cast: Dirk Bogarde, Sylvia Syms, Dennis Price.
Dir: Basil Dearden. BW-100 mins, TV-PG, Letterbox Format
A groundbreaking film and one of the examples of why
Dirk Bogarde was one of the bravest, and most subtle of
film actors who ever stepped before a camera.

9/22
12:00 AM
Leaves From Satan's Book (1919)
This silent film depicts the story of Satan's
banishment from Heaven. Cast: Halvard Hoff,
Jacob Texiere, Hallandar Helleman. Dir: Carl Theodor Dreyer. BW-121 mins, TV-14
Has anyone seen this early Dreyer work
based on Marie Corelli's book?

2:15 AM
The Seventh Seal (1957)
A medieval knight challenges Death to a chess game to
save himself and his friends. Cast: Max von Sydow,
Bengt Ekerot, Gunnar Bjornstrand. Dir: Ingmar Bergman.
BW-96 mins, TV-PG
One of the greats, and worth viewing every
couple of years.

11:00 AM
The Commandos Strike At Dawn(1942)
A Norwegian refugee leads the British in an attack
against his country's Nazi invaders. Cast: Paul Muni,
Anna Lee, Lillian Gish. Dir: John Farrow.
BW-100 mins, TV-G, CC
This little known, very good Muni film is part of a day
of his work on TCM. One of the things about it that I like
best is that Muni plays his role as a human being, not
an icon beneath lots of makeup. Seeing it last year
reminded me that this man was a fine actor...at times.
Lillian Gish is very good in this film as well.

9/23
12:30 AM
Devil's Doorway (1950)
A Native American Civil War hero returns home to
fight for his people. Cast: Robert Taylor, Louis Calhern,
Paula Raymond. Dir: Anthony Mann. BW-84 mins, TV-PG
A beautifully done film with very good acting from
Taylor, Calhern and James Mitchell. The only problem:
the god-awful makeup. Though that is distracting,
it is still good.

2:00 AM
The Tall Target (1951)
A detective tries to prevent the assassination of
President Lincoln during a train ride. Cast: Dick Powell,
Paula Raymond, Adolphe Menjou. Dir: Anthony Mann.
BW-78 mins, TV-G
Terrific, forgotten film full of suspense and good
acting by all concerned.

9/24
10:00 PM
The Great McGinty (1940)
A hobo rises to town mayor when he hooks up
with a crooked political boss. Cast: Brian Donlevy,
Muriel Angelus, Akim Tamiroff. Dir: Preston Sturges.
BW-82 mins, TV-PG
This film and Beau Geste are the underrated
Brian Donlevy's finest moments on film. Akim Tamiroff
is pretty entertaining as a cheerfully corrupt puppetmaster.

11:30 PM
The Glass Key (1942)
A hired gun and his gangster boss fall out over a
woman. Cast: Alan Ladd, Veronica Lake, Brian Donlevy.
Dir: Stuart Heisler. BW-85 mins, TV-14, CC
Where you been, baby? One of Alan Ladd's
considerable best from Dashiell Hammett's
excellent portrait of political manipulation.
Can This Gun For Hire &
The Blue Dahlia be on the way, TCM?

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I have seen "Leaves from Satan's Book." It was good, but not in the same league as "Joan of Arc" or "Day of Wrath."

As with any multi-story film, some people will like some parts better than others. I found the last segment, about the Russian civil war, interesting, but I think most Americans, who assume that Russia turned into the USSR overnight in 1917, would find that part of the film rather baffling.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

The ones that I haven't seen that excite me the most are:

Sept. 7 - TIGHT SPOT Any chance to watch a Phil Karlson movie is fine by me

Sept. 21 - LEAVES FROM SATAN'S BOOK The only Dreyer silents I've seen are THE PARSON'S WIDOW, MICHAEL & THE PASSION OF JOAN OF ARC, but since he's second only to Welles (and maybe J. Tourneur) in my book, this is a must-see

Sept. 22 - DEVIL'S DOORWAY & THE TALL TARGET OK, now I have to figure out how to record

Of those I've seen before:

Sept. 18 - TERROR IN A TEXAS TOWN Another Joseph H. Lewis and Dalton Trumbo collaboration, this one establishing that Sterling Hayden should have portrayed Captain Ahab in MOBY DICK

Sept. 22 - STARS IN MY CROWN One of my favorite films ever. A masterpiece.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

A pretty terrific month featuring a host of popular (but indispensable) noir films, namely:
Edgar G. Ulmer's minimalist poverty row classic DETOUR (Tues 9/2)
Welles' astonishing TOUCH OF EVIL (Tues 9/2)
Fritz Lang's underrated BLUE GARDENIA (Thurs 9/4)
Jacques Tourneur's mesmerizing OUT OF THE PAST (Sat 9/6)
for those who think of it as noir, Charles Laughton's spellbinding gothic
fairy tale NIGHT OF THE HUNTER (Sat 9/6)
Mr. Ark's favorite noir, FORCE OF EVIL (Mon 9/15)
Anthony Mann's & John Alton's HE WALKED BY NIGHT (Mon 9/22)
Tourneur again with NIGHTFALL (Thurs 9/25)

My favorite Billy Wilder sex farce, KISS ME STUPID (Mon 9/8)

a pair of Edward D. Wood films: BRIDE OF THE MONSTER (Fri 9/5) and the multi-layered masterpiece PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE (Sat 9/27)
Ray Dennis Steckler returns with THE INCREDIBLY STRANGE CREATURES WHO STOPPED LIVING AND BECAME MIXED UP ZOMBIES and RAT FINK A BOO BOO ((Fri 9/5)

The wonderful Stanley Donen / Gene Kelly musical IT'S ALWAYS FAIR WEATHER (Tues 9/9)

Folk music exploitation quickie HOOTENANNY HOOT (Fri 9/19)

Lubitsch's classic pre-code comedy TROUBLE IN PARADISE (Thurs 9/4)

And the film I'm most personally excited to see on the schedule: the 1945 poverty row noir ALLOTMENT WIVES (Fri 9/26), one of the three films Kay Francis produced and starred in for Monogram Pictures. This one's the best of the trio, with Kay as the ruthless leader of a band of crooks who prey on lonely servicemen. It's fantastic, and to the best of my knowledge it's the first time ever on TCM. DIVORCE, also from 1945 (and part of the Kay Francis Monogram "trilogy") airs on Thurs 9/4. Not quite as provocative as ALLOTMENT WIVES, it again features Miss Francis in an unflattering role, this time as a homewrecker out to steal another woman's husband.
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

It's really nice to see such a tribute to Kay Francis! :)

I recommend highly both her features with Colman.
Raffles (1930): the film was started by the extremely skilled Harry d'Abbadie d'Arrast; he was sacked half-way through and replaced by Fitzmaurice.

And, even better Cynara (1932): a wonderful King Vidor!

It's nice to see that TCM actually bothers to show some Goldwyn productions. But, I am still puzzled as why TCM has never paid homage to Colman??? :o :roll: :cry:
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

It's nice to see that TCM actually bothers to show some Goldwyn productions. But, I am still puzzled as why TCM has never paid homage to Colman??? :o :roll: :cry:~ Ann Harding
I've been told by those who had TCM in the mid-90s that Ronald Colman (and Claude Rains to name two all-time faves) were each featured as Stars of the Month back then. Now that TCM is a cable fixture in America and the world, received by millions more households, I wish that they'd feature both actors once more. I suspect that rights issues and print conditions may affect the availability of several of the more obscure movies made by these actors, (though TCM does show many of each men's films, perhaps they do not have access to enough to constitute a SOTM tribute.)

Perhaps our international members from Australia, Canada, Chile, France and the UK could let us know if more Colman (or Rains) movies crop up in their countries on TCM or other venues?

From time to time, on nights featuring American TCM host Robert Osborne's picks, which have included many Colman features, he has voiced his desire to have modern audiences rediscover the appeal of Ronald Colman. I do, unfortunately, believe that as much as I enjoy his work, he may seem "long ago and far away" to many contemporary audiences...but isn't that part of his charm?

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

I am afraid that I do not expect any Colman picture on TCM France. Here their catalogue is restricted -extremely strictly- to Warner & MGM. Not even RKO films are shown... :( They basically do not own the rights for RKO in France. Plus, they hardly ever show silents. :?

It's true that making a real Colman tribute would require quite a lot of work on TCM's side! I do not even mention the silents (with the lost films and the ones only in various archives, not available to TCM.....It's a nightmare!). But let's look at the talkies:
  • 8 features are Goldwyn productions (belonging I believe to MGM/UA)
    2 are XXth Century Pictures (belonging to XXCFox probably although they lost the rights to one of them)
    3 are XXth Century Fox
    2 are Columbia (belonging to Sony)
    2 are Paramount (belonging to Universal)
    2 are RKO
    1 is a Selznick prod (now belonging to TCM/Warner because of a remake)
    1 is Universal (although released under a Republic label?)
    1 is independant prod. released thru UA
    3 are MGM
    1 is Warner
Quite a patchwork!!!! :?

Nevertheless, there is a classic movie channel here in France which shows Fox and Paramount films. I got through them The Light That Failed and Clive of India. 8)
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I think September is something of a mixed bag, but for those viewers who haven't yet seen all these old favorites, it's just fine. My, my, Kay Francis made an awful lot of movies, didn't she? It will be fun to see the now more obscure ones. Here's what I found interesting:

9/1 One Potato, Two Potato (1964) - A lovely little indie about a contemporary interracial romance in a small town, and its unfortunate results. This movie was filmed in the town in Ohio where they make Smucker's jams and jellies.

9/2 - A morning of biographies of some of our great directors. I've seen all of these except for the ones on Sam Fuller and Wm. Wellman. Based on the others, these should be worthwhile viewing.

9/3 - A morning and afternoon of college hijinks. At 2:15 PM we can see We Went To College (1936). I cited this the last time it was aired, and I still haven't seen it. However, it stars Charles Butterworth, and if you aren't familiar with this deadpan and very funny gentleman (who died much too young in a car accident), you should meet him. He's lots of fun.

9/5 - Late at night are two movies I don't know, but I love the titles: The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies!!? (1964) and Rat Pfink a Boo Boo (1966). Gosh - nobody calls anybody "ratfink" any more. Well, there were a lot of movies like these in the 1960s - shows how desperate Hollywood had become.

9/7 - No, I can't. I don't even want to talk about Old Yeller (1958) at 12:30 PM. It's a great family movie, but it's so very hard to endure that sad ending, so be advised if you have young kids who have never seen it.

(continued)
Last edited by jdb1 on June 23rd, 2008, 8:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

More for September:

9/9 Topkapi (1964) 12:00 AM - Shown to commemorate Jules Dassin recently, and I hope they air it more frequently. Very entertaining caper flick, and a well-deserved Supporting Oscar for Peter Ustinov.

9/12 - Three Comrades (1938) 10:00 PM- Margaret Sullavan is positively luminous in this one.

9/13 The Hawaiians (1970) 12:00 PM - I like this one a lot as epics go. Lots of plot, but it all holds together very well, thanks to the excellent cast.

9/14 The Red Balloon (1956) 1:30 AM - It's hard to believe that there are several generations now who don't know this short movie. It was all that and a bag of pommes frites when I was a kid. Beautiful shots of working-class Paris, a cute little boy as the hero - with minimal dialog (subtitles, generally), perfect for kids and grown ups. Why is it on at this ridiculous hour? It is highly worth recording.

9/17 The Facts of Life (1960) 7:15 AM - An adult movie, and not the X rated kind, about a suburbanites' affair. Who could resist the mature and gorgeous Lucille Ball? Not Bob Hope, and in this movie he gives a very credible performance with a minimum of his smarmy wiseacre schtick. This one stands out as an example of how to handle the situation right, during an era of not very subtle sex comedies. A good companion to Lucy's Yours, Mine and Ours with Henry Fonda.

9/17 Abe Lincoln in Illinois (1940) 8:00 PM - Taking up the Lincoln story where Young Mr. Lincoln left off, this time with Raymond Massey. Also a chance to see Ruth Gordon, who didn't make very many movies. This is the one where, allegedly, one of the extras yells "Goodbye, Mr. Massey!" when Abe is boarding a train.

(continued)
Last edited by jdb1 on June 23rd, 2008, 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

A bit more:

9/18 George Washington Slept Here (1942) 7:30 AM - Haven't seen it in years, but Jack Benny usually gave some pretty good performances in his movies, and this one has not only Ann Sheridan, but Percy Kilbride. Who could ask for anything more?

9/20 Looks like it's Law Night on TCM. Many good movies, including the hardly-seen British Victim (1961) 12:15 AM, about the blackmailing of a gay lawyer. Very strong performances here, led by Dirk Bogarde.

9/21 The Seventh Seal (1957) 2:15 AM - Now look, if you've never seen this great Ingmar Bergman movie, I don't want to hear any more excuses. Stay up for it, record it -- just see it, that's all. You'll never forget it, and you won't be sorry, either.

9/24 The Great McGinty (1940) 10:00 PM - A parsing of the political process by Preston Sturges. Funny, terrific and oh, so true and oh, so relevant in light of our current goings-on. Brian Donlevy is very good here, especially when he wants to finish reading the kids a bedtime story of the tortoise and the hare so he can see what happens to the "tor-toyse."

9/26 A juvenile delinquent flick called The Young Don't Cry (1957) at 10:30 AM - Not very good, but it's got James Whitmore, J. Carroll Naish, and the woefully underrated Sal Mineo, whose work really deserves more attention. He was so young and he did such good work; the kid coulda been a contender.

9/28 Eat Drink Man Woman (1994) 2:00 AM - Directed by Ang Lee, a very interesting and entertaining look at Taiwanese family dynamics. The father of the family is a chef - if you love Chinese food, you'll really love this movie.
Last edited by jdb1 on June 23rd, 2008, 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
mahlerii

"Victim" and "Kiss Me Stupid"

Post by mahlerii »

This movie was shown during the "Screened Out" Gay and Lesbian film festival last year and it was one of my favorites along with "The Killing of Sister George "and "The Fox". If you haven't seen it, do!! Very compelling story. You will never forget "Boy Barrett". "Kiss Me Stupid" is certainly worth seeing once-but it is very strange at times. I own it on DVD and being a Billy Wilder fan AND a Kim Novak fan and a Dean Martin fan, it's hard to avoid. Some feel that it is one of Billy Wilder's worst movies, akin to Otto Preminger's Skidoo (one of my favorite bad movies).

PS I forgot to mention "Sylvia Scarlett"
mahlerii

"Rat Phink A Boo Boo"

Post by mahlerii »

I recorded this when it was on TCM's "Underground". Directed by Ray Dennis Steckler, it was supposed to be called "Rat Phink and Boo Boo" but they didn't have enough money to complete "and". Reminded me a lot of Russ Meyer. The female lead is very attractive and is in distress for most of the film. Bad songs, too-well worth laughing at. Lots of violence, also.