The Oscar (1966)

Discussion of programming on TCM.
mahlerii

The Oscar (1966)

Post by mahlerii »

On June 16th at 11pm EST TCM will be showing The Oscar :D with Tony Bennett :o , Elke Sommer and Stephen Boyd. Bill Maher has chosen this movie as a guest programmer: I wonder if he did so he could actually see it! I have been wanting to see this ever since I found out about it through my Golden Turkey Awards books. Tony Bennett is one of the best pop singers ever, but GT feels that his acting chops are not too hot. Now we can see for ourselves-perhaps this movie needs to be reevaluated. The music is by Percy Faith :roll: I hope the music isn't too mellow!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

"Mellow" is hardly the term I'd use to describe The Oscar, Mahlerii.

Unbelievably over the top, hilarious and, unfortunately, the death knell for any serious career of Stephen Boyd are among the phrases that seem to apply. Tony Bennett has some great bad lines in this movie too. If you just can't wait for the 16th and you'd like to see a sample of how Tony "burns up the screen" here's a link to his meltdown in the movie on youtube. I don't think it's really Mr. Bennett's fault, he's just such a great singer, it's sort of unbelievable to see him take such a tumble in this turkey. Good thing he had that singing gig to fall back on.

Btw, Elke Sommer's gravity defying hair is fascinating in this movie. Best thing in this movie and in any movie he ever appeared in: Jack Soo.
Ah, the sixties.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Jack Soo for President! One of Hollywood's most egregiously wasted opportunities -- he was so talented, and so good in everything.

Mahlerii, if you watch The Oscar with the understanding that you are about to witness one of the worst-acted, most heavily "Hollywood" cliche-ridden shambles ever, you'll probably love it as much as I do. It's a disaster of the "so bad it's good" kind. I really can't stand Stephen Boyd, and I therefore think he's perfect for this movie. Elke Sommer looks like she's on Valium, or maybe she thought she was going to be in a zombie movie and acted accordingly. And all those cameo appearances -- boy, I bet they're sorry now.

Don't expect anything of this movie, and you won't be disappointed. But you will probably laugh.
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

I cannot wait to see this one. I was shocked out of my mind when TCM listed it on their schedule for this month - though, granted, it was a guest programmer pick, and I'll be very interested to hear Bill Maher's remarks as to why he chose this film.

I only recently acquired the Liv Ullmann 1973 Lost Horizon, and I might save it to watch with The Oscar and have a turkey double feature. I wish TCM would someday rebroadcast The Story of Mankind - I missed it when TCM aired it a couple years ago. That's one gobbler I haven't managed to track down.

-Stephen
mahlerii

Watch it I Shall!

Post by mahlerii »

Looking forward to it! Thanks for all of the feedback! BTW-I wish TCM would play Lost Horizon again, but I bet Burt Bacharach might not want them to. I have a VHS copy courtesy of AMC from a few years ago. One of my favorite bad movies!! Wasn't Jack Soo in Flower Drum Song?
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

In answer to your question, Yes, Jack Soo was in Flower Drum Song, and he was probably the best part of it. He was the most natural comedian ever. He didn't even have to try to be funny, he just was. At one time he was all over TV in M.A.S.H, Police Woman, Ironside and so many other guest spots, always with that crooked smile and wry sense of humor. I doubt if they wrote much for him, he probably ad-libbed most of what he said.

Obviously I thought he was great and wish he had become more well known in his day.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

I've been wanting to see this movie ever since I first heard about it. I remember reading about it in a book about the worst movies ever and there were lots of unkind comments about Bennett's acting or lack thereof. So i'll be interested in seeing if he's as bad as it was made out to be.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Good Lord!

How could I forget to mention Jack Soo in Barney Miller? He made the show.

I can't imagine what Bill Maher will have to say about the Oscar except maybe to compare it to political upheavals of the day.

Anne
Anne

Bogie

Post by Bogie »

mrsl wrote:Good Lord!

How could I forget to mention Jack Soo in Barney Miller? He made the show.
I know we're giving praise to Jack Soo here and I agree he was very good in Barney Miller but it's Abe Vigoda that made that show IMHO.
mahlerii

The Oscar

Post by mahlerii »

Haven't finished seeing the film yet, but I already have some observations and probably some questions. Was this movie Widescreen? Did all studios use widescreen techniques at this time?

What nationality was Stephen Boyd? It seems like he has an accent-it is hard to understand him sometimes in this movie (I had no problems in Ben-Hur). Perhaps it is the print that is the problem. I assume that it hasn't been remastered. To help me in this process, I am now watching "Fantastic Voyage" to see if that is the case there. The print looks stellar, it's been awhile since I've seen this film.

This movie reminds me a lot of another potboiler-Valley of the Dolls-that 60's permutation about how getting into showbusiness (Hollywood) can corrupt you. Interesting how many Bad Movies are based on the subject of Hollywood.

Where was Edie Adams in the film? Was she Stephen Boyd's date for publicity?

I think Tony Bennett is not too bad in this film. He does have some laughable dialogue, though. His mention in the "Golden Turkey Awards" book as the winner in the category "The Worst Performance by a Popular Singer" is my main interest in the film.

Milton Berle's performance in a serious role seems like an oasis in a sea of over-acting.

I'll finish the film later, but I'm very glad Bill Maher picked it. I don't think that it will get on DVD soon or at all, but if it did I certainly would buy it.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Wow! is about the best word I can use to describe this over-the-top, scenery chewing, mess of a film.

I loved Bill Maher's analogy that Boyd was basically playing the same character from Ben-Hur, 2000 years later!

This film could be on a bill with The Carpetbaggers and Valley of the Dolls and be right at home.

I am astounded at how bad it is. Thank heavens for Milton Berle, Jack Soo and Edie Adams in this as without them it would be unwatchable.

Great mid-century modern set design and seeing the old Santa Monica Civic Auditorium is always fun. I'm guessing since it was a Columbia film the Galaxy Pictures studio exteriors were filmed at the old Columbia lot on Sunset and Gower?

God, this movie was bad. But I'm glad I watched it. I hope the director never worked again. Not being a big Stephen Boyd fan I probably enjoyed it more than I should have. What the hell accent was he was using? Sci-fi writer Harlen Ellison was a co-writer on the script!

I bet they all thought they were making an Oscar worthy film.

Thank you Bill Maher for programming it!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Wow, this was worse and more entertaining than I remembered.
lzcutter wrote:Great mid-century modern set design and seeing the old Santa Monica Civic Auditorium is always fun.
I was utterly delighted by the depth of badness on display in this movie, though aside from the horrible performances, (though oddly, Milton Berle, of all people, as an agent (!), seemed to be playing the closest approximation of a believable person here), I was most impressed with the over-decoration of every interior, which clearly sprang from the same over-stuffed imagination of a very good, well stocked art department. Though we went from rags to riches and squalor to alleged splendor, everyone, even in the flophouses, seemed to have used a decorator's refined, well thought-out sensibility when choosing that old rag to hang from the sink, or those swell reproductions of masterpieces (someone liked Rembrandt & Renoir best), that kept popping up on the plush walls of the offices, mansions and dives. I couldn't wait to see what oh, so deceptively casual, beautifully lit touch was going to show up in each scene. Nice to see Boyd in the movie meeting the art director for this flick, the distinguished Hal Pereira in the party scene at mogul Joseph Cotten's house, (guess the director wanted to give him some well-deserved attention since Hal really must've worked his team like oxen to achieve the effects in this movie). Hal's the guy mumbling that he's an "art director" as Stephen Boyd gives him the brush-off after a limp handshake when he greets the actor.

Oh, and let's give an appreciative nod for that football stadium of a marital bed occupied by Elke & Stephen!
mahlerii wrote:What nationality was Stephen Boyd? .
He was Irish, and, aside from some of his fresher work in his first couple of movies, The Man Who Never Was, The Best of Everything, and Lisa, he seems to have been um, a "limited" actor, shall we say--in a really entertaining way. (Sorry, but I didn't think he brought very much to Ben Hur).
mahlerii wrote:Where was Edie Adams in the film? Was she Stephen Boyd's date for publicity?
Edie was the woman divorcing Ernest Borgnine's private detective character in Mexico. She popped up a bit later in the film to "reveal all" to Stephen Boyd, who was trying to milk her for info to prevent the revelation of his Machiavellian shenanigans prior to the Oscars.

I sure hope that TCM runs this doozy again!
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Wow!!!

You guys are all great! I don' think I've ever seen such a 100% agreed-upon response in any message board I've ever read! Someone always says "Well, blah, blah, blah" about something good.

As for Elke's hair - I could do that to my girlfriends on Saturday and it was still up there the following Friday. Lots of hairspray!!!!

I don't know how many of you know much about Bill Maher - I personally like him a lot. Sometimes he gets carried away by himself, but most of the time I like his political stands but . . . One of the things I like is how irreverant he is about everything, but heaven help the boy - He obviously respects R.O. and wasn't afraid to show it. Normally he would be contradicting, and denying (whether he meant it or not), just to be his usual derogatory self, but he was unbelievably cordial with Bob. He didn't seem to get what RO was trying to get across to him about Where the Boys Are as being a pioneer in the angst films of the 60's and what followed. I also liked his way of saying 'I liked the film because it was fun and funky', instead of trying to tell us what the directors were trying to say as if he was Kreskin or something.

I haven't enjoyed a guest programmer like this since Robert Wagner who I recall as being informative and knowledgeable without being a smart a.s.

Anne
Anne