The Quiet Man

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Professional Tourist

Re: The Quiet Man

Post by Professional Tourist »

I love this film; was introduced to it while staying at Ashford Castle in 1995. In those days, they used to show this picture on closed-circuit television in all the guest rooms, looping over and over. Any time you turned on your TV, there is was. I don't know how many times I saw this picture during my stay, but I think it was enough for a lifetime. :) As some others have mentioned, I'm not generally a fan of John Wayne, but loved him in this, and loved Maureen O'Hara. I agree the supporting cast was wonderful, particularly Barry Fitzgerald and Mildred Natwick (love, love, love her in "Barefoot in the Park").

By the way, for those here who enjoy Mildred Natwick, she did a fair amount of radio work back in the day, some of which is available for free online. For example, here she plays Mrs. Danvers in the Campbell Playhouse's 9 December 1938 production of Rebecca. :D
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hi "Professional Tourist" (what a GREAT occupation!) and welcome to the forum!

How wonderful you stayed at Ashford Castle! When I finally visit Ireland I am planning
on making that one of my stops. I would feel like a "traitor" if I didn't. And now that
"Cohan's" is a real pub, I especially want to visit all The Quiet Man locations. :)
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Professional Tourist

Hello Miss G --

It was a great occupation, while it lasted. My handle is really an hommage to my 30s when I got to do a lot of travel, often without needing to work. [My favorite tours were in South America.] But for several years now I have been a working stiff, eeking out my living as a computer support technician, Macs a specialty. :wink:

Thanks for the welcome. You can probably tell from my avatar where my classic cinema sentiments lie, but I promise to try not to be a johnny-one-note about it. :P :D
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Professional Tourist wrote:Hello Miss G --

It was a great occupation, while it lasted. My handle is really an hommage to my 30s when I got to do a lot of travel, often without needing to work. [My favorite tours were in South America.] But for several years now I have been a working stiff, eeking out my living as a computer support technician, Macs a specialty. :wink:

How wonderful for you! I think travel is one of the most exciting pursuits and I am always impatient for my
next trip. I haven't gotten to South America yet, but I may do so this summer. I have friends who
live there in a few different countries. And I hear you, I do what I can to pay the bills and consider myself
blessed these days just to have a job.

Thanks for the welcome. You can probably tell from my avatar where my classic cinema sentiments lie, but I promise to try not to be a johnny-one-note about it. :P :D

A symphony can be concocted out of many single notes, so you'll find plenty of company here, lol! Is that
Agnes Moorehead in your avatar?
-- Will Rogers
Professional Tourist

Last edited by Professional Tourist on February 20th, 2011, 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Welcome! There are a bunch of posters here who really love Ms. Moorehead, and leader of the group is our own Vecchiolarry, who knew her when he was growing up in Hollywood. She was a near neighbor, and his stories of her are terrific. I'm sure he can be prompted to share some of them again.

Hope you find our neighborhood to your liking, and let us know if you need anything while you're settling in.

best
Nancy
Last edited by knitwit45 on March 2nd, 2009, 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

What fine timing. I introduced this film to some friends last night and they loved it. Lots of laughing and I even got her through Duke dragging Maureen back home when she thought it was a little rough. They loved all the pomp and circumstance of their traditions. Two strong willed actors making a good match.

Welcome to the boards BTW. Always glad to have someone new.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

This thread has gotten a little off track and I'm putting it right back on with a question for all of you colleens and Irish rovers.

Watching The Quiet Man for the umpteenth time this a.m. again, as usual I saw something that never caught my eye before. The morning after Sean and Mary Kate are married, when the guys come over bringing her furniture, she sits on the end of the dray and asks one of the English fellows "What sort of man have I married?" to which he replies, "A better one I think, than you know Mary Kate". Later in the day she's playing her spinet and singing and suddenly becomes very thoughtful. This is where my mute button comes in handy, because the words are then printed on screen. I copied the words of the song word for word:

Oh, Innisfree my island, I'm returning,
from wasted years across the wintry sea.
And when I come back, to my own dear Ireland,
I'll rest a while beside you - Gradh Mochroidhe

Now, those of you who remember bits and pieces of your heritage as I do my Italian and even less of Polish, can anyone tell me what those two words mean?

She is definitely getting the point that his Mother ingrained the love of Ireland in him as he was growing up, so Innisfree has become his idealized haven, with that little cottage at the center of it all. So she realizes she wants to make a home for both of them, and that makes her run out to talk to him.

It seemed that the whole song made her think and rationalize, but those last two words seemed to be a key to a full understanding because after singing them, she ran out to Sean to talk about what they would need to run the farm. Of course, then they got into the money thing in town and that led to the end, which today people would probably walk out of the theater, but back then, that was the way.

I'm an insomniac as it is, so if you know the answer, please tell me what it means!!!
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I believe Gradh Mochroidhe means "love of my heart".
-- Will Rogers
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Thank you Miss Goddess,

I guess 'love of my heart' or some form of those words would fill out the end of the song quite well. That scene of Maureen singing that song just exemplifies the talent of a real actor. You can see so many things cross her face - the questions, the answers, the doubt of whether she has guessed it correctly, and finally the dawning.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Spent the afternoon with my bride and daughter at the AFI Theatre in Silver Spring MD watching "The Quiet Man." It's the first time on the big screen after countless times on TV. It's a lovely art-deco theatre with very comfortable seating. It is a grand venue that likes to share the old as well as the new. They're showing a Gene Kelly and Nicholas Ray retrospective also.

There were about 40 people and it was fun hearing people from different ages laugh. It was a nice print. It wasn't as bright as the DVD release and that was fine.

I haven't been to the theater before but I hope to go back. The girls had a good time so there will be more dates.
Chris

rohanaka

Post by rohanaka »

So very jealous. But at least can be happy that YOU got to go see my favorite movie on the big screen, my friend. :D
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Hi, Ro!
Are you going to see Casablanca? I've got tickets for the 2pm showing in Olathe! YAYYYYYYYYY
rohanaka

Post by rohanaka »

Hiya Neighbor!! I have not been in that theater in Olathe in a good long while but I do think I know which one you are going to (if I recall) Don't get out that way as often as I used to.. since we moved over to the MO side of town. I bet you will have a GREAT time. I only wish I could be so lucky. The theater in Leawood is actually not TOO far from where I would be at that time of day... but I would have to take off from work and then they would have to bring in a sub for me.. and the list of excuses go on and on. :roll: I see they are showing it at 7 too.. I thought about that one, but that would not work out EITHER with the stuff I have going on, dadgum! (too many irons in the fire these days... alas)

At least Casablanca is not as HUGE a fave for me as some.... so I don't feel as bad. (I know.. ha.. I should just turn in my classic film fan card right now... what can I say.. I am SLOW to embrace my inner Bogie.. ha. But I am getting there :lol: ) but still it is a TERRIFIC film and WOULD be very worth getting to see it. Alas. I will have to look for your posts (Please post) and you can tell me all about it.. and then I will just do what I always seem to do.. ha.. live vicariously through every one else's fun. HA) Hope you have a VERY fun time, young lady. Enjoy!!!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

What year would you say this was set? Anyone think it is at all later than the 1920's?
Chris