Discussion of programming on TCM.
Rita Hayworth

Re: Gone With or Without fanfare

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Shirley Temple Black

At age of 85, yesterday, February 10th.

New York Times Article
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/12/arts/ ... .html?_r=0

Hollywood's Greatest Child Star - Legend in her own time. Sang and Dance her way into our hearts forever!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Vecchiolarry wrote:Hi,

Our morning news today brings us the very sad item that Shirley Temple has died yesterday at 85..

What an unbelievable year for our classic stars dying; there now can't be many left from the 30's...
It is especially sad since we remember her on the sceen as a child...

R.I.P. Miss Temple

Larry

Thanks for taking the time to report this Larry ...
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

[youtube][/youtube]

Check out the long takes in this dance number. Yeah, she was THAT good.

I hope she knew how much joy she brought to everyday people in her lifetime, helping them get through such hard times...and then she went on to do good work long after show business. I think she's one of the few highly thought of stars who is still underrated. Having gone through dance classes with my daughter proves to me how good she really was. I feel an extra sadness at her passing because when she was a teen, my mother bore an uncanny resemblance to the teen Shirley, although she wasn't too happy about it!

I can't imagine a life better lived. God bless you, Shirley. You made it look so easy...

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Shirley Temple: joyous, beautiful kid, fine adult. "Charm" seems too inadequate a word to describe Shirley's ability to bewitch us. Also, without realizing it, she gave us a role model of spunkiness and grace that still touches little girls everywhere. RIP for a life well-lived. My thoughts and condolences are with her family and about a billion friends she never met.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

It seems impossible to grasp this news as it is akin to reporting the death of a child!!

I was hoping that she would appear at TCM FF and be reunited with Jane Withers, whom Christy has befriended there... What an event that would have been...

I know she was an ambassador for the USA, and a successful one too; but her greatest fame was as a child star and a teenage actress.
She was a great-grandmother - unreal!!!

Maybe it's just me not realizing we all grow older.

I wish her family my condolences.

Larry
rohanaka

Post by rohanaka »

Goodbye sweet Shirley..

And thanks for posting that clip of her Ms. Favell.. you are right.. she really WAS that good. And she just brought so much joy to so many.. she will be missed.

This one is a personal favorite... Seems fitting to post here now:

[youtube][/youtube]

(ok.. I seem to be having technical difficulties.. ha.. but hopefully you can open this link somehow.) :)
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

From Shirley Temple Black's family:

A statement from Shirley Temple's family read in part, "We salute her for a life of remarkable achievements as an actor, as a diplomat and most importantly as our beloved mother, grandmother, great-grandmother and adored wife for fifty-five years of the late and much missed Charles Alden Black…. We ask that our family be given the opportunity at this time to grieve privately."

While funeral plans are pending, a guest book will soon be posted at ShirleyTemple.com according to the statement. Contributions in her memory may be made to the Commonwealth Club of California's 2nd Century Campaign or to the Education Center at the Academy Museum of Motion Pictures in Los Angeles, according to the family's statement.

She died at her San Francisco home, of natural causes, surrounded by family and caregivers. According to her nephew, Richard Black, she had recently started receiving hospice care.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Shirley Temple always made me feel happy all over, not just because her films are so appealing and joyful, but because she enjoyed making them as a little girl, and because she found fulfillment as an adult still able to contribute and help the world, though in another occupation. When I see her in Fort Apache, she's still so fresh and appealing that I'm not quite sure why her career didn't take off as an adult, but that's OK.

My favorite Shirley Temple film is Wee Willie Winkie though that's really a John Ford film that stars Shirley Temple. My guilty pleasure is Just Around the Corner because Charles Farrell plays her daddy. But I really do love them all. She will always be Bright Eyes to me, taking a bow, now and forever.

Fort Apache
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Wow! We overuse the term "end of an era," but this is one time it applies. The golden age is clearly history now. From all I read and hear, this was simply one of the most beloved movie icons of all time. To this day, when I think of child star, one name comes to mind before any others. My mother always said she was the same age as Shirley Temple. In fact, if Mom were still with us, she'd be 85!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

My eyes were wide as saucers when I read this very sad news. I enjoyed her in films. She seemed to have a smooth transition from child actor to young actress. It's incredulous but a sad reality for us who like classic films. Shirley Temple. Shirley Temple. I just don't have any words. Sad news...
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

March Schedule Change for Shirley Temple Tribute

TCM is changing its previously scheduled programming for Sunday, March 9 in order to honor the late Shirley Temple.

Here is the new schedule line-up:

4:30 PM Heidi (1937)
6:15 PM Stowaway (1936)
8:00 PM Bright Eyes (1934)
9:30 PM The Little Princess (1939)
11:15 PM I'll Be Seeing You (1944)
12:45 AM The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer (1947)
2:30 AM A Kiss For Corliss (1949)
4:15 AM That Hagen Girl (1947)

All times Eastern Standard Time
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Sleep in heavenly peace, Shirley. You will always be Heidi to me...

[youtube][/youtube]
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

I find myself very saddened by Shirley Temple's death. More so than when I hear of other stars of yore passing. I'm assuming it's because of what Larry said above, that it's like hearing of a child dying, because of our collective vision of who "Shirley Temple" is.

By most every account a great lady, as well as an icon of classic Hollywood. RIP.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

My husband kept saying the same thing, Lomm... I had to remind him that she was 85 years old and led a full life. For him, it was as if a 6 year old had died.

I felt the same way last week with Ann Carter's death. Another sweet child gone...