Gone With or Without fanfare

Discussion of programming on TCM.
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Gone With or Without fanfare

Post by moira finnie »

The news this morning brings word of the loss of a decent man and a very good actor. With regret, we acknowledge the loss of James Garner at age 86, a friend to everyone who smiled when they saw his roguish portrayals and felt unexpectedly moved by his serious moments. More here:
http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries ... story.html
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

This one is a heartbreaker. Sunday nights with Brett and Bart...sigh.....rest in peace, James. :cry: :cry:
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Absolutely terrible news to wake up to this Sunday.

I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Garner some years back when my agency was attending a talent convention in L.A. He was a truly kind gentleman who graciously signed a photo for my acting class which I proudly displayed in my studio.

A class act.

RIP Sir.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Loved him in Maverick, Loved him in Rockford Files, Loved him in the Great Escape, and most of all a kind, decent, and an excellent entertainer that delighted us all ... James Garner! :)
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

My favorite of James Garner's later work, which I've seen many times, is the film Space Cowboys, where he played test pilot turned minister turned astronaut. A great comic performance. :) I also loved his work with Julie Andrews in Victor/Victoria :D

May he rest in peace.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

I thought Mr. Garner gave a powerful, emotional performance in THE NOTEBOOK. In fact, he should have received an Oscar nod for his work in that film. The scene where he breaks down can still send a chill through me. Again, a nice guy and wonderful performer.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Good Heavens to Betsy! I had no idea this delightful performer had left us. The ultimate "likeable guy," even when you didn't trust him, it was impossible not to enjoy his presence. He wasn't a versatile actor. He didn't have to be. He played James Garner so well, it didn't matter! It's Garner, not sexy Steve McQueen, who pulls all the elements together in THE GREAT ESCAPE. It's he who provides the voice of reason amid the malicious destruction of THE CHILDREN'S HOUR. And not surprisingly, he brings mischievous wit to the wonderful SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHERIFF.

But it was television that saw his finest efforts. "Rockford" was good. Even NICHOLS looked cute, the few times I watched it. But there's good and there's REALLY good. That MAVERICK was one of 1950s TV's greatest efforts. Hell. It's better than most of what's followed!

Sunday nights with Brett and Bart

I remember as if it was yesterday, Knit Wit. Finish your supper and gather in the living room. It's time for MAVERICK! This was a long time ago. But so was my childhood. I feel like a piece of it just died.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I just heard this morning because Saturday and Sunday are my PBS days, with DVR's that I couldn't get to on Saturday night. Hearing this was just like hearing about James Arness recently. First the eyes watered, then one tear slid down my cheek, and finally I said "Oh heck with it" and let it go, just as if a good friend had died. But of course, Jim Garner was an old friend, all through my teen years, my 20's, 30's and all the way up through my 60's. He was always there, handsome, funny, relaxing to watch, and just a big, enjoyable guy.

Unfortunately, with the deaths of both Jims', we are getting well into losing our Golden Age of Television actors while I'm sitting each afternoon watching them on Encore Western. Cheyenne, Maverick, Wyatt Earp, Paladin, Gunsmoke, and on INSP HIgh Chapparal, and the Virginian. I'm reliving my younger TV days with these old westerns since there is such a limited array of movies made today that interest me. Oh, there are still those two or three a month that I discover, but nothing like the old love stories, and mysteries of the Golden Age of Hollywood.

So I just sit around and regret the loss of these fine men from my youth, and now their second time around.

R.I.P. James Garner!
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I enjoyed his work so much. He could be serious and funny with such ease. Not many worked so well in films and television. "The Rockford Files" is still among my favorite shows.

"Support Your Local Sheriff" is a treat for me. When you think of things like "Duel At Diablo" and "Hour of The Gun" and "36 Hours" and know his other side with "Victor, Victoria" and other light comedies he had quite a range.

TV movies were a rich market for him too. "Barbarians At The Gate" and "Decoration Day" were highlights. Even fluff like "One Special Night" with Julie Andrews made for pleasant viewing.

He had a wicked sense of humor and a genial disposition. At least there is a lot of his work to enjoy.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Golly Anne, your words ring so true. These performers from our TV and movie memories truly became like family (cliche though it may be: We DID invite them into our homes each week where they entertained us and left us feeling good at the end of their visit). And sadly, with the inevitable passage of time, so many have left us, and the pain is often tantamount to losing a close friend or favorite relative we always looked forward to seeing. It does leave us with a pain, doesn't it? Our consolation is that thanks to retro television and of course the proliferation of classic TV shows on DVD, we can, in a sense, always have them with us.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

James Garner always made it look so easy but when you explore his career you realize that he, more than Newman, more than McQueen, more than Coburn, made movie audiences fall in love with the 1950s-1970s anti-hero. Garner's characters, more often than not, were happier playing poker or fishing or drinking a beer than trying to be heroic.

But, if no one else was going to save the day, save the girl or stop the bad guys, well, then he'd look around, excuse himself and go do exactly that.

From Bret Maverick to Jim Rockford and all the great characters in between and beyond, Jim Garner's characters could always be counted on to step up when the going got tough and with that twinkle in his eye, go out and do the heavy lifting that others didn't want to do.

He wasn't heroic in the traditional sense but his characters lived by a code that resonated deeply with audiences and we knew that we could count him.

We''ll miss you, Jim, (and as Scott McGee said it better than I), we'll leave a message after the tone.

Thanks for all the great characters and all the good times!

R.I.P.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Just so sad to hear of his passing.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

his characters lived by a code that resonated deeply with audiences

The code is ever so important to private eyes and cowboys! It drives their whole character.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

James Garner. Gosh, it's still unbelievable that he's gone. :(
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

It's very moving to read all your responses. It feels as though a family friend we've all been fond of since childhood has left, doesn't it?

TCM Remembers James Garner Tribute that's currently running on the network (love that wink near the end!):

[youtube][/youtube]

Clint Eastwood recalls James Garner as a contemporary:

[youtube][/youtube]

Monday, July 28th schedule on TCM in celebration of J.G.'s career (all times shown are ET):

6:00 AM Toward the Unknown
8:00 AM Shoot-out at Medicine Bend
9:30 AM Grand Prix
12:30 PM Cash McCall
2:15 PM The Wheeler Dealers
4:00 PM Darby's Rangers
6:15 PM Mister Buddwing
8:00 PM The Thrill of it All
10:00 PM The Americanization of Emily
12:00 AM The Children's Hour
2:00 AM Victor/Victoria
4:30 AM Marlowe