Gone With or Without fanfare

Discussion of programming on TCM.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Sculptor and experimental filmmaker, Bruce Conner (1933-2008), left us this week. His first film, A MOVIE (1958), was selected by the National Film Registry in 1991 for preservation.

BRUCE CONNER “Breakaway” (1966)
[youtube][/youtube]

DEVO “Mongoloid” (directed by Bruce Conner)
[youtube][/youtube]
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Lzcutter
Administrator

Scarlett's Younger Sister, Suellen, passes away

Post by Lzcutter »

The AP has an obit for actress Evelyn Keyes. She passed away at the age of 91. Probably best known for role as Scarlett O'Hara's younger sister, Suellen, as well as being married to John Huston and the live-in girlfriend of Michael Todd (before he met Liz Taylor), Ms. Keyes had quite a life.

From the AP:

Actress Evelyn Keyes dies at 91 in California

By BOB THOMAS – 1 hour ago

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Evelyn Keyes, who played Scarlett O'Hara's younger sister Suellen in "Gone With the Wind" and counted director John Huston and bandleader Artie Shaw among her famous husbands, has died. She was 91.

The actress died July 4 of uterine cancer at her home in Montecito, near Santa Barbara, producer and close friend Allan Glaser said Friday.

Glaser said the news was withheld because lawyers wanted to wait until the death certificate was filed.

Keyes' personal life often overshadowed her acting career. Besides her often turbulent marriages to Shaw and directors Huston and Charles Vidor, she lived with the flamboyant producer Mike Todd for three years during his preparation and filming of "Around the World in 80 Days." She played a cameo role in the movie and helped on publicity.

Todd sent her to the premiere in Caracas, then called her abruptly from Paris with this message: "Listen, I have to tell you. I've fallen in love with Elizabeth (Taylor)."

"Oh well, nothing lasts forever," she philosophized in 1977. "The good part was that I invested all my money in `Around the World in 80 Days,' and that set me up for life."

Keyes gave a frank account of her romances and marriages in her 1977 autobiography, "Scarlett O'Hara's Younger Sister." Her role in the 1939 classic led to a contract at Columbia Pictures and stardom.

Among her notable roles: as Robert Montgomery's lover in "Here Comes Mr. Jordan" (1941), the Ruby Keeler role as Al Jolson's wife in "The Jolson Story" (1946), and as Dick Powell's wife in "Mrs. Mike" (1949).

She also starred in B pictures that were later praised by movie critics as prime examples of film noir: "Johnny O'Clock" (1947), "The Killer That Stalked New York" (1950), "The Prowler" (1951), "99 River Street" (1953) and "The Big Combo" (1955).

Keyes' marriages and divorces made her the darling of gossip columns and fan magazines. Her first marriage, to a handsome Englishman and heavy drinker named Barton Bainbridge, ended in headlines when he fatally shot himself during a separation.

Vidor, a handsome Hungarian who directed her first Columbia film, "The Lady in Question," became romantically involved with Keyes, though both were married at the time. When her husband committed suicide and Vidor's wife, actress Karen Morley, divorced him, Vidor and Keyes married. The marriage ended two years later when she discovered he was unfaithful to her as well.

Husband No. 3 was Huston. She was impressed when they met at a Hollywood dinner party, and more impressed when he took her afterward to his Tarzana horse ranch and made no effort to seduce her.

Their marriage in 1946 led to an adventurous life. Just one of the examples she recalled in 1971 involved Huston returning home from the 1949 film "We Were Strangers," with a gift from actress Jennifer Jones, a pet chimpanzee.

"The chimp fell in love with John, and he brought it home to live with us in our all-white apartment."

David Niven wrote in his memoir "Bring on the Empty Horses" that Keyes became exasperated at the non-housebroken animal and issued an ultimatum: "One of us has to go. It's the monkey or me."

According to Niven, Huston replied, "Honey, it's you." Keyes reported in her own memoir that it was the chimp that got the boot.

The Huston marriage did end in 1950, however, and Keyes sought analysis to recover from the failure. Her conclusion: "I was always looking for the same man — a strong father figure."

Keyes' marriage to Shaw in 1957 seemed to follow the same pattern. He had given up his brilliant career as a clarinetist and bandleader and had been seeking intellectual challenges.

Shaw played Henry Higgins to her Eliza Doolittle, giving her a new name, Keri, introducing her to literature and leading her on his world travels. For a time they lived in Spain. After several years she tired of his dominance and they separated. They divorced in 1985.

After Shaw died in 2004 at age 94, she battled in court for a share of his estate, saying he had promised it to her. A jury backed her in 2006, but the executor of the estate vowed to appeal.

Keyes was born in Port Arthur, Texas, in 1916, according to state birth records; some references give a later year. She grew up fatherless and poor in Atlanta. A glowing blond beauty with an alluring figure, she danced in nightclubs and at 17 set out for Hollywood. Cecil B. DeMille signed her to a seven-year contract and cast her in "The Buccaneer."

After a few minor roles at Paramount, she appeared in "Gone With the Wind" and then moved to Columbia, where her career blossomed.

After her film career and marriages ended, she turned author, producing an autobiographical novel, "I Am a Billboard," two memoirs, "Scarlett O'Hara's Younger Sister" and "I'll Think About It Tomorrow," film scripts and articles.

Keyes took a frank view of her life and career in a 1999 interview:

"To become a big movie star like Joan Crawford you need to wear blinders and pay single-minded attention to your career. Nobody paid attention to me, including me. I was the original Cinderella girl, looking for the happy ending in the fairy story. But my fantasy prince never came."
Last edited by Lzcutter on July 12th, 2008, 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Lynn,

I hadn't realized that she was that old. 91 and retired comfortably in Montecitto ain't bad.

Other than GWTW, a pretty thankless part, I can't recall seeing her in anything. I did see "Around the World in 80 Days" but don't know what role she had there??

R.I.P. Miss Keyes.

Larry
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Hi Larry,
The news of Ms. Keyes death made me wonder if, other than Olivia de Havilland, any of the stars of GWTW are still living?

Among the films you may have seen Evelyn Keyes in over the years, some of which have reached cult status, and gave her much better roles than that of whiny younger O'Hara sister, are:
Ladies in Retirement (1941)
Here Comes Mr. Jordan (1941)
The Face Behind the Mask (1941)
A Thousand and One Nights (1945) (a hilarious parody of sex/sand flicks)
The Jolson Story (1946)
Johnny O'Clock (1947)
Enchantment (1948)
Mrs. Mike (1949) (my favorite of her films)
The Killer That Stalked New York (1950) (a fine little noir about an epidemic)
The Prowler (1951)
99 River Street (1953)

Her autobiography, Scarlett O'Hara's Younger Sister: My Lively Life in and Out of Hollywood is quite scandalous in an amusing, ribald way that also revealed her to be an intelligent person.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Moira,

Yes, Ann Rutherford is still alive and kicking!! I saw a picture of her last year on a cruise to Australia with Anne Jefferys.
And, Mickey Rooney gave an interview several weeks ago saying that he was trying to get the White House to invite AR to the dinner for The Queen. But, the WH failed to rise to that occaison.
Also, she's apparently a friend of Nancy Reagan, so with those connections you'd think she could at least get in the back door!!!

Larry
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Fred Crane is on the left, George Reeves is on the right.

Fred Crane, who played one of the Tarleton twins (with George Reeves) filling Scarlett's ear with war talk in the opening scene of Gone With the Wind, (prompting her to exclaim "fiddle-de-dee"), has died at 90. Mr. Crane appeared in very few movies and tv shows as an actor, but may be best remembered by Angelenos for his classical music program on KFAC, which he hosted for forty years. In between times, Mr. Crane apparently liked the ladies and they liked him. The man was married a remarkable five times. Here's a link to his LA Times obituary:
http://tinyurl.com/567xl7

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
klondike

Post by klondike »

Voiceover Master Don LaFontaine has died. He was 68.

LaFontaine, known as the "King of Voiceovers," died Monday afternoon at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles. LaFontaine's agent, Vanessa Gilbert, tells ET that he passed away following complications from Pneumothorax, the presence of air or gas in the pleural cavity, the result of a collapsed lung. The official cause of death has not yet been released.

Over the past 25 years, LaFontaine cemented his position as the "King of Voiceovers." Aside from being the preeminent voice in the movie trailer industry, Don also worked as the voice of Entertainment Tonight and The Insider, as well as for CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox and UPN, in addition to TNT, TBS and the Cartoon Network. By conservative estimates, he voiced hundreds of thousands of television and radio spots, including commercials for Chevrolet, Pontiac, Ford, Budweiser, McDonalds, Coke, and many other corporate sponsors.

He recently parodied himself on a series of national television commercials for Geico. At last count, he has worked on nearly 5000 films, including appearances as the in-show announcer for the Screen Actors Guild and Academy Awards. Based on contracts signed, he has the distinction of being perhaps the single busiest actor in the history of SAG. Don is survived by his wife -- singer/actress Nita Whitaker, and three children: Christine, Skye and Elyse.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Klondike,
Thanks for mentioning this gentleman's passing. Here's a nice clip of Don LaFontaine's memorable voice, which I always expect to say..."In a small town..." He made going to the movies early for the previews a hoot, even if he was a tad ubiquitous...:wink:
[youtube][/youtube]

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

I heard about this at another message board. As I said there, i've seen an interview once with him and he looked completely different then I thought he would.

I wonder if there's a future generation of Don LaFontaines out there?
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Jerry Reid, C&W singer, movie actor (Smokey & the Bandit franchise) has passed away at the age of 71.

He was the funniest part of the Smokey movies, with his ol' dog Fred (I think it was Fred)

RIP Mr. Reid
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Jerry Reed, a singer who became a good ol' boy actor in car chase movies like "Smokey and the Bandit," has died of complications from emphysema at 71.

His longtime booking agent, Carrie Moore-Reed, no relation to the star, said Reed died early Monday.

"He's one of the greatest entertainers in the world. That's the way I feel about him," Moore-Reed said.

Reed was a gifted guitarist who later became a songwriter, singer and actor.

As a singer in the 1970s and early 1980s, he had a string of hits that included "Amos Moses," "When You're Hot, You're Hot," "East Bound and Down" and "The Bird."

In the mid-1970s, he began acting in movies such as "Smokey and the Bandit" with Burt Reynolds, usually as a good ol' boy. But he was an ornery heavy in "Gator," directed by Reynolds, and a hateful coach in 1998's "The Waterboy," starring Adam Sandler.

Reynolds gave him a shiny black 1980 Trans Am like the one they used in "Smokey and the Bandit."

Reed and Kris Kristofferson paved the way for Nashville music personalities to make inroads into films. Dolly Parton, Willie Nelson and Kenny Rogers (TV movies) followed their lead.

"I went around the corner to motion pictures," he said in a 1992 AP interview.

Reed had quadruple bypass surgery in June 1999.

Born in Atlanta, Reed learned to play guitar at age 8 when his mother bought him a $2 guitar and showed him how to play a G-chord.

He dropped out of high school to tour with Ernest Tubb and Faron Young.

At 17, he signed his first recording contract, with Capitol Records.

He moved to Nashville in the mid-1960s where he caught the eye of Chet Atkins.

He first established himself as a songwriter. Elvis Presley recorded two of his songs, "U.S. Male" and "Guitar Man" (both in 1968). He also wrote the hit "A Thing Called Love," which was recorded in 1972 by Johnny Cash. He also wrote songs for Brenda Lee, Tom Jones, Dean Martin, Nat King Cole and the Oak Ridge Boys.

Reed was voted instrumentalist of the year in 1970 by the Country Music Association.

He won a Grammy Award for "When You're Hot, You're Hot" in 1971. A year earlier, he shared a Grammy with Chet Atkins for their collaboration, "Me and Jerry." In 1992, Atkins and Reed won a Grammy for "Sneakin' Around."

Reed continued performing on the road into the late 1990s, doing about 80 shows a year.

"I'm proud of the songs, I'm proud of things that I did with Chet (Atkins), I'm proud that I played guitar and was accepted by musicians and guitar players," he told the AP in 1992.

In a 1998 interview with The Tennessean, he admitted that his acting ability was questionable.

"I used to watch people like Richard Burton and Mel Gibson and think, `I could never do that.'

"When people ask me what my motivation is, I have a simple answer: Money."

___

Associated Press Writer Joe Edwards contributed to this story.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Breno Mello, 76, (seen above), has died. A well known soccer player in his native Brazil, he is remembered by the rest of the world for the sensuous retelling of the myth of Orpheus and Eurydice in Marcel Camus' lush tragedy Black Orpheus (1959), set against the background of Rio de Janeiro at carnival time. The film, which won prizes from Cannes and the Academy Awards, also introduced much of the world to the wild abandonment of the Brazilian Carnaval and the haunting rhythms of Antonio Carlos Jobim and Luiz Bonfá. Mr. Mello's obituary can be seen here.
I hope his journey to the underworld is a smooth one. The clip below will give you a hint of the rich color and beauty of this film:
[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by moira finnie on September 7th, 2008, 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Another link in the chain of film history has given way. Anita Page, 98, who started in silents such as Our Dancing Daughters (1928), co-starred in one of the talking pictures first musical extravaganzas, The Broadway Melody (1929) and had an astounding 84 year career, passed away peacefully at her home in her sleep. You can see her extensive obituary here. In private life, after a brief, annulled marriage to songwriter Nacio Herb Brown, and a rumored rebuff of Louis B. Mayer, (which didn't do her career much good), she married naval aviator Herschel House in 1936 and remained together until his death in 1991. The couple had two daughters.

Her next appearance, (aside from the expected one at the pearly gates, where there should be quite a crowd of old movie friends to greet her) is in a movie called Frankenstein Rising, and is expected to be released by the end of the year.

I sincerely hope that TCM will be able to give this lady her due with a scheduled block of programming in her honor. (I'd also like to see more of those "Word of Mouth" segments on TCM in which the tart-tongued Ms. Page looked back on her youthful time in the movies during the transition from silents to talkies). Here's a lively Q & A from the Alternative Film Guide that the actress did just last year: Anita Page: The Last Surviving Silent Film Star.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Dear Moira,

Thanks for posting the news about Anita Page. She indeed had a long and charmed life and lived to be still cognizant at 98, which is quite a feat....

I believe Barbara Kent is still alive at around 101, so Miss Page may not be 'the last silent movie star'; although she was an important one and one who's remembered.

R.I.P Anita.

Larry
klondike

Post by klondike »

[quote="moirafinnie"]The clip below will give you a hint of the rich color and beauty of this film:
[quote]

Rich & beautiful indeed, Moira; I count myself lucky to have found a library rental VHS of this amazing film back in the early 90's - I've known many deserving, knowledgeable film fans over the years who've never had the opportunity to see Black Orpheus, and I'm thinking its broadcast potential is not exactly high.
Hmmm; methinks I should've pirated a copy off that library rental . . . there, see what cultural starvation can do to one's citizen morality? :shock:
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Hi Larry,
I'm glad that you mentioned your fellow Canadian Barbara Kent. According to the often reliable, (if not really perfect) IMDb, the lady would be 101 and refuses to discuss her cinematic past now, (she probably has more pressing issues--such as breathing--to pursue in her spare time, rather than chatting with some whippersnapper about what it was like on the set of Flesh and the Devil back in '26.). I suspect that someone steeped in the knowledge of who's still alive and kickin' (can you hear me, Mongo? Anybody?) might have more info to add about other silent players who are still among us.

Howdy Klon,
I learned yesterday that Black Orpheus is available on an all region Criterion Collection dvd found here that sounds glorious, if a bit pricey for me. I thought that I'd seen the movie on TCM about 5 years ago at 2am (on the world cinema segment that is ghettoized to the wee small hours, alas). I put in a request over on Suggest a Movie, some of which have panned out over time and popped up on the channel. Cross your fingers.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks