Gone With or Without fanfare

Discussion of programming on TCM.
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Gone With or Without fanfare

Post by moira finnie »

I think this passing came in under the radar:

Above: Pauline Wagner in 1928, when she was a contract player at MGM.

Pauline Wagner at the age of 103 has died. Below is the Hollywood Reporter obit followed by an interview with the actress from SSO pal Debra Levine's Artsmeme blog:
Actress Pauline Wagner, who as Fay Wray’s double can be seen writhing on the ledge of the Empire State Building in the climax of the 1933 film King Kong, has died. She was 103. Wagner died May 2 in Montrose, Calif., her manager and friend, Steve Vilarino, told The Hollywood Reporter. Wagner was a contract player at RKO Radio Pictures and wandering around the lot when she was approached by a group of men, she recalled in a 2011 interview with Filmfax magazine. They were working on King Kong and needed to reshoot the finale, in which the big ape has grabbed Wray's character and climbed to the top of the New York skyscraper as military biplanes buzz around them.

Wray was in England working on another movie, and they figured that Wagner could pass for her. “So the hairdresser came … and they sent me to wardrobe to put all the clothes on and the wig and everything ... and I worked for four hours and that was it,” Wagner said. Of course, the ledge on which she was lying was not on the Empire State Building; it was actually a studio prop nine feet off the ground. And the image of New York was projected on a screen behind her. (It’s Wray, not Wagner, however, who is seen in the animal's clutches.) Wagner said she didn't realize that the work she had done was for King Kong until she saw the film about 10 years later.

Wagner was the second person — after James Cagney — to sign the petition that would lead to the formation of the Screen Actors Guild in 1933. “I knew something had to be done; we were working too many hours,” she once said. Studio head Jack Warner fired Cagney and Wagner after learning that they had signed the pact, but he couldn’t do without Cagney’s talents and had to rehire him. Cagney then insisted that Wagner be given back her job as well. Wagner also played a nightclub glamour girl opposite Cagney in Lady Killer (1933) and appeared in Little Miss Marker (1934) with Shirley Temple, Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (1936) with Gary Cooper, Vivacious Lady (1938) with Ginger Rogers, The Mad Miss Manton (1938) with Barbara Stanwyck and Henry Fonda, Hold Back the Dawn (1941) with Charles Boyer and New York Town (1941) with Fred MacMurray.

She was born in Shattuck, Okla., came to California and graduated from Santa Monica High School (where her classmate was future actress Gloria Stuart) in 1927. A game of volleyball and a swim in the pool outside the Santa Monica beachfront home of Marion Davies and William Randolph Hearst — now the Annenberg Community Beach House — led to her being discovered by MGM. Survivors include her sons Mike and Bruce, her daughters-in-law Sharon and Debbie, her niece Maureen, her grandchildren Michele, David, Scott and Tyler and her great-grandsons Ryder and Dylan. Her final resting place was to be at Forest Lawn Hollywood Hills Cemetery alongside her husband, Judge Alfred J. McCourtney, who died in 1975. Her first husband was veteran character actor Mike Lally.
From Artsmeme interview with Pauline Wagner when she was a mere 100 (!)
“The man you saw on the screen was certainly not Jimmy Cagney,” said former studio-system contract actress Pauline Wagner, 100, following a screening of “White Heat” at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences Monday.

Cagney was “one of the nicest persons in Hollywood,” so unlike Cody Jarrett, the homicidal psychopath with a mother fixation that he plays in Raoul Walsh’s violence-riddled 1949 film.

Wagner believes Cagney “didn’t get his real due. He was overlooked. He was probably the finest actor to hit Hollywood. He became his roles.”

The kind of peppy old lady only California can produce, Wagner has lived to share her memories of Cagney with whom she worked in the ’30s.

“Many of the stars would go over and watch Cagney work,” the unflappable centenarian recounted. “He always took me aside and made sure I knew my lines. He would say, ‘If you’re good, that makes me look good.”

“White Heat” capped the Academy’s marvelous, 15-part summer series, “Oscar Noir.”

In the photo above, Wagner, 23, rehearses a scene with Jimmy Cagney from “Ladykiller” (1933). The scene is a sound-stage recreation of L.A.’s Coconut Grove nightclub at the Ambassador Hotel. The real version was demolished to a pile of rubble in 2006.

“In one day at Warner’s, I remember, I worked on eight films. [We were so overworked that] we decided to form a guild. Cagney came over to me and said, ‘Sign this.’”

Joining Cagney, Wagner was an early member of the Screen Actor’s Guild. Read about other early guild members.

“It was a shame,” she noted, “that the guilds broke up the studio system. But we had to have a guild.”

Polly, who still drives and uses the internet, is writing a book about her life in Hollywood.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

He was one of the most celebrawted filmmakers not only of the late 1960s but throughout the 1970s and beyond.

Director/Writer/Actor Paul Mazursky has died.

From the Hollywood Reporter:

Paul Mazursky, the colorful writer-director who masterfully mingled the funny and the forlorn in such modern classics as Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice, An Unmarried Woman and Down and Out in Beverly Hills, has died. He was 84.

A five-time Oscar nominee whose influential oeuvre also includes the touchstone films Harry and Tonto (1974), Next Stop, Greenwich Village (1976) and Enemies: A Love Story (1989), Mazursky died Monday in Los Angeles of pulmonary cardiac arrest.

The Brooklyn native, who also co-wrote the pilot for the 1960s NBC series The Monkees, started out aiming to be an actor and often showed up onscreen.

He was one of the five performers in Stanley Kubrick’s first feature, Fear and Desire (1953); portrayed one of the juvenile delinquents in The Blackboard Jungle (1955); and played Norm, the deliberate golfer with high blood pressure who dies after Larry David yells at him in HBO’s Curb Your Enthusiasm.

But it is his career as a screenwriter and director for which Mazursky will be best remembered. Called “a comic poet” by Pauline Kael and a “cultural anthropologist” by Elvis Mitchell, Mazursky crafted character-based films that were loving, poignant, satiric and absurd. His movies often ended with questions, not answers.

“The great thing about Paul’s movies is that they never seem to be made up. They seem to spring from life,” filmmaker Mel Brooks wrote in the foreword for Sam Wasson’s 1991 book, Paul on Mazursky. “You believe everything! You just believe those things are happening when you watch his movies. ... Everybody thought it was just kind of a documentary.”

Fresh off his first feature screenwriting effort, the Peter Sellers comedy I Love You, Alice B. Toklas (1968), Mazursky and his wife, Betsy, traveled to the Esalen Institute at Big Sur for a 72-hour weekend encounter, where they and other folks sat around naked in a hot tub. They were the only people in the group who knew each other.

“[The others] picked on us, but especially me because Betsy would say things like, ‘He never lets me finish, he never lets me talk,’ ” he told Wasson.

He and early writing collaborator Larry Tucker used that experience as the basis for Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice (1969).
Execs at National General Pictures thought the script was “too dirty,” but Mike Frankovich agreed to produce it at Columbia and allowed Mazursky to direct for the first time.

The warm, emotionally awkward comedy revolved around two married couples — one open-minded (Robert Culp and Natalie Wood), the other conventional (Elliott Gould and Dyan Cannon) — who experiment with other sexual partners. The film was the first U.S. picture to open the New York Film Festival, where it earned a standing ovation and the admiration of New Yorker critic Kael, who would become a frequent champion of Mazursky's work.

Unlike anything that came before, Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice marked a signpost in the sexual revolution. It collected four Oscar noms, including one for Mazursky and Tucker’s screenplay, and raked in $32 million (the equivalent of $197 million today) at the domestic box office.

As a director, especially early in his career, Mazursky favored lengthy scenes and rarely went for the fancy camera shot or angle.

For more: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/p ... ied-716126
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

“The great thing about Paul’s movies is that they never seem to be made up. They seem to spring from life,”

Yes they do. Things happen because they would really happen in that situation. Not because the screenwriter needed the plot point. (Paraphrasing Mr. Ebert.) AN UNMARRIED WOMAN is unforgettable. Great movie? Classic? Maybe. Maybe not. But one that touches the audience in meaningful ways. "Greenwich Village" is so offbeat it's adorable. But it's not silly. By the end of the story, there's a lot to think about. I didn't know "Bob and Carol..." was so well regarded. I haven't seen it.

This was a talented filmmaker.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

This is a big bummer.

I liked Mazursky a lot. His films are funny, dark, direct, outrageous, satirical, interesting, thoughtful, silly, TRUE, and many times, uncomfortable.

I think the comic realism and spontaneity that Brooks praised so in Mazursky's films is partly due to the fact that Mazursky spent time in sketch or revue comedy at Second City...that improv background gives his films a dash, a sharp immediacy and psychological truth that other directors have a hard time achieving. In other words, he makes it look like the quirky and selfish emotions are happening in real time - fresh, unrehearsed and unplanned looking....in spite of the characters' best interests and attempts to hide them. He gets deeper into people's psyche's than most of us want to see...sometimes only to find shallowness and vanity at the core. Rarely does he mis-step as far as human behavior is concerned. He takes his time letting us see the folly underneath the ritual behaviors we all get swept up in from time to time and drives home the dagger without comment. I think his films have a far deeper meaning than the outer covering admits to. They have a long reaching arc over time - though I wouldn't have said so a few years back when his films seemed dated to me. But now, I can watch his films and see something of our society in them, in all it's modern glory and ridiculousness. He's grown on me, or maybe I have grown up.... to see life as a quest for the ludicrous and absurd. Only after a big shock can we see the wonderful reality we missed while searching for fulfillment.

His work is something like Vanity Fair. He brought film satire to such a high level, sometimes you weren't sure he was joking....making it hit too close to home for humor, in a delectable and frustrating mix of comedy and drama. I think we need more satirists nowadays. They walk a lonely line, but help us see the sublime and also the subpar in ourselves. Mazursky seemed to be making the filmic equivalent of Pogo's line "We have met the enemy and he is us."
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Thought Paul Mazursky fans would get a kick out of this article and video about his table at Los Angeles' famed Farmer's Market in the Fairfax District.

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2014/ ... e_at_f.php
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Damn! I wish that video were a lot longer. I love guys acting up for the camera. Made me happy to see them just bulling around.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

he makes it look like the quirky and selfish emotions are happening in real time - fresh, unrehearsed and unplanned looking

I'm willing to bet, sometimes it was exactly that!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I bet, Red! I am sure he got some really off the cuff, spontaneous emotion out of his actors, and I bet even they were surprised at what happened in some scenes... they look shocked or uncomfortable at times. I like that he filmed the changing dynamics of different pairings or groups of people.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Don Mathias, who starred as one of the castaways, not on Gilligan's Island, but among the Giants on Land of the Giants has died.

Don Matheson, who played one of the stranded "little people" on the Irwin Allen 1960s ABC sci-fi series Land of the Giants, has died, his daughter told The Hollywood Reporter. He was 84.

Matheson, who worked as a Detroit narcotics cop before becoming an actor, died June 29 in his sleep in the Woodland Hills home of his daughter, actress and musician Michele Matheson, and her family. He had been diagnosed with lung cancer 10 months ago. Matheson played short-tempered businessman Mark Wilson on Land of the Giants, which aired for two seasons from September 1968 until March 1970.

It replaced another Allen-produced series, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, on Sunday nights on ABC and was extremely expensive to make, costing a reported $250,000 an episode. John Williams did the theme music. Set in the year 1983, the 20th Century Fox hourlong series revolved around the crew and passengers of the spaceship Spindrift, which on the way to London crashed on a planet whose humanoid inhabitants were hostile and unbelievably huge.

The athletic Matheson and his castmates did many of their own stunts, such as being dropped into specimen jars or climbing ropes, as they tried to remain alive with hopes of returning home. The little people were filmed from cranes high above, while images of the "giants" were captured from the floor with hand-held cameras.

Matheson wed another star on the show, Deanna Lund, in 1970 shortly after Land of the Giants was canceled, but their marriage ended in divorce. He never remarried, and their daughter said they remained the best of friends. "They talked several times a day, laughed and drove each other nuts and lived across the street from one another or within a couple blocks for the last 35 years," said Michele, who had a recurring role on the 1985-90 ABC sitcom Mr. Belvedere.

Before Land of the Giants, Matheson appeared as an evil amphibian in a 1967 episode of Voyage and in two installments of yet another legendary Allen sci-fi series Lost in Space. Later, Matheson played the henchman Mr. Padgett on CBS primetime soap Falcon Crest and millionaire industrialist Cameron Faulkner on ABC's daytime serial General Hospital.

His TV résumé also included such shows as McHale's Navy, Death Valley Days, Emergency! The Waltons, Eight Is Enough, Dynasty and 7th Heaven. Matheson also was a jazz drummer who often was invited to play on stage by his friend, Buddy Rich. A native of Dearborn, Mich., Matheson served in the Korean War and was awarded the Bronze Star.

He joined the Detroit police force, and while investigating a crime at a theater, asked the theater director how to get involved when he noticed everyone who worked there "looked so happy," his daughter said.

He returned to perform a monologue from A Streetcar Named Desire and joined the group, launching his acting career.

In addition to Deanna and Michele, survivors include his son-in-law, Jason, grandchildren Jack and Jolene and stepchildren Randy and Kim.
-

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/d ... x7Qwe.dpuf
Lynn in Lake Balboa

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

How eerie! I was thinking of LAND OF THE GIANTS this morning. Out of nowhere! It's funny how that happens.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Pinnochio's voice has been stilled...Dickie Jones, seen above in the cartoon form he voiced for the 1940 Disney film and with Cliff Edwards (the voice of Jiminy Cricket) below, has passed away at age 87. Mr. Jones also appeared as an actor in live action movies and television shows. More here: http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries ... story.html

Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Miss Maudie,who kept an eye on the Finch children and had her eye on their father (in a good way), Atticus,-actress Rosemary Murphy has died.

Rosemary Murphy, who played the neighbor Miss Maudie in the 1962 classic To Kill a Mockingbird and earned an Emmy Award and three Tony nominations during her distinguished career, has died. She was 89.

In To Kill a Mockingbird (1962), the acclaimed film drama based on Harper Lee’s Pulitzer Prize-winning novel, Murphy played Maudie Atkinson, who lives across the street from attorney Atticus Finch (Gregory Peck) and helps teach his children lessons about racism and human nature. “You knew you were in something special. It was a fascinating experience," Murphy said about making the film in a 2012 interview with The Daily Beast. “I was very respectful of where I was and thrilled to be there. Gregory Peck was accessible and a real gent.”

With her death, Robert Duvall is believed to be the last adult Mockingbird castmember still alive. After Eleanor and Franklin, Murphy collected a second Emmy nom for playing Sara Ann Delano Roosevelt in the follow-up telefilm Eleanor and Franklin: The White House Years (1977).

Murphy’s Tony noms, all for best actress in a play, came in 1961 for her work as Dorothea Bates in Tennessee Williams’ Period of Adjustment; in 1964 for Any Wednesday, in which she starred opposite Gene Hackman; and in 1967 for Edward Albee’s A Delicate Balance, which also starred Hume Cronyn and Jessica Tandy. -

Murphy, who won her Emmy for portraying the mother of Franklin Delano Roosevelt in the 1976 ABC miniseries Eleanor and Franklin, died Saturday in her Upper East Side apartment in New York City, her longtime agent, Alan Willig, told The Hollywood Reporter. She recently was diagnosed with esophageal cancer.

For more: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/r ... ird-717521
Lynn in Lake Balboa

Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I met Dickie Jones once in Disneyland back in the 70's (1972, to be exact) and I had to check my records before confirming it. He was a sweet man and loved his fans too.
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Elaine Stritch has died. Here is an obituary/tribute at the New York Times.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Also, blues guitarist Johnny Winter died in Switzerland. Mr. Winter played one of his last concerts here in Kentucky. I didn't see the show, but the sold out audience was thrilled. Johnny Winter was 70.