Gone With or Without fanfare

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Re: Gone With or Without fanfare

Post by Lzcutter »

Sportscaster Pat Summerall has died. He worked 16 Super Bowls, teamed with John Madden for a number of years and had a voice and demeanor that led him to become of the most respected sportscasters of his generation.

From the LA Times:

Pat Summerall, who was half of one of the best known announcing teams in television sportscasting history as John Madden's broadcasting partner for more than two decades of NFL games, has died. He was 82.

Summerall, who lived in Southlake, Texas, died Tuesday at a Dallas hospital, where he was recovering from surgery for a broken hip. Fox Sports spokesman Dan Bell confirmed his death.

Known for his deep, resonant voice and a smooth, understated delivery that wasted no words, Summerall worked with Tom Brookshier on the NFL for CBS from 1975 and was paired with Madden in 1981. Summerall and Madden went as a team to Fox in 1994 after that upstart network acquired NFL rights, and the pair remained a team through the 2002 Super Bowl.

"He was one of the card-carrying good guys," Madden told The Times on Tuesday. "He was so solid and a good friend and a real pro.

"You know in TV some of these guys have all the numbers and stats and notes?" Madden continued. "Pat would come to a broadcast with nothing. It was all in his head."

Summerall was the low-key, concise counterpoint to Madden, the former NFL coach who offered meandering yet knowledgeable analysis.

"In one sentence he could say what would take others two or three paragraphs to say," Madden said Tuesday. "He'd hit it right on the head. That was why he was so great to work with. In all the time I worked with him, we never had one argument. Even off-air.... That was because of him. I'm not the easiest person to get along with, but he was."

In 1999, Summerall was inducted into the American Sportscaster Assn.'s Hall of Fame. At the time, fellow sportscaster Dick Enberg said of Summerall, "His play-by-play coverage with John Madden epitomizes the highest level of talent in our profession."

For the rest of the story: http://articles.latimes.com/2013/apr/16 ... l-20130417
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Watched many a game and many a Master's with him and John Madden. :-(
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

A LEGEND. GONE.

"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh man.

I got to meet him. What a really special man he was. So loving.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

The opening act at Woodstock. :(
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I know it won't mean much to most of you on this site, but I lost a very good friend today in George Jones, The King of Country Music. George was 81 when he died after a career that started about the time I was a freshman in high school and continued until present when he died during his farewell tour. He was married four times and of the four, six years with Tammy Wynette. Together they recorded quite a few duets, and most of them were No. 1 on the country charts. He had a unique voice which was neither soft and smooth, nor raspy and harsh. I'm sure you have heard him at one time or another because many of his songs are used in movies as background music, or dance floor music in Western movies. Ask any country fan if they know George Jones and most will respond with "the best country singer ever", unlike when you ask someone if they know JFK, they generally think you mean junior. George will be very sorely missed in the country music world. I saw him once when he was in the audience at an Outlaws show at the Golden Nugget, and Kris Kristofersen called him up to the stage. What a wild ride that turned out to be with Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash and Kris all joining in with George in singing his songs. They did away with their printed program and just sat around, strummed their guitars and the audience just listened to them sing, sing, sing. It's a wonderful memory.

Rest in Peace George, your fans will miss you.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

You don't have to know country music to know the great George Jones. You merely have to live on the planet Earth. This giant of the industry has had hit records as long as I can remember. Literally. I heard "White Lightning" and "The Race is On" when I was barely tall enough to turn on the radio! Yes, I grew up in the south. You hear country music there. But anybody, anywhere, who hasn't heard this wailing old sawhorse needs to slow down and take a sip of the shine!

His duets with Tammy are beloved by fans. His invitation to take "The Grand Tour" of his heart was taken up by thousands. And 1980's "He Stopped Loving Her Today" is unofficially recognized as the saddest country song of all time.

He said, "I'll love you 'til I die"
She told him, "You'll forget in time"
As the years went slowly by
She still preyed upon his mind

He kept her picture on his wall
Went half crazy now and then
He still loved her through it all
Hoping she'd come back again

Kept some letters by his bed
Dated 1962
He had underlined in red
Every single I love you

I went to see him just today
Oh, but I didn't see no tears
All dressed up to go away
First time I'd seen him smile in years

He stopped loving her today
They placed a wreath upon his door
And soon they'll carry him away

You know, she came to see him one last time
Ohh, and we all wondered if she would
And it kept running through my mind
This time, he's over her for good

They placed a wreath upon his door
And soon they'll carry him away

Looks like we're going to need another wreath.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Thank you so much Red. I was really feeling kind of sad over the fact that nobody had any kind of response at all. As you said, you really don't have to be a country fan to have heard him, because some of his songs did swing over now and then. But you are so correct, the words are fine, but if you know the tune and sing the words to the tune, it's even more sad.
Anne

ChiO

Post by ChiO »

A musical tribute to my favorite voice of Country was posted two days ago at "Dewey's Record Party".
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I apologize Chio but I never go onto the music party thread, every time I try it, it freezes my computer, so I don't even click on the thread to see what's playing since I can't listen to it.
Anne

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

This one is going to hurt so I apologize ahead of time for being the bearer of bad news:

Singer/Actress Deanna Durbin has passed away at the age of 91.

From the NY Times:

Deanna Durbin, who as a plucky child movie star with a sweet soprano voice charmed American audiences during the Depression and saved Universal Pictures from bankruptcy before she vanished from public view 64 years ago, has died, a fan club announced on Tuesday. She was 91.

In a newsletter, the Deanna Durbin Society said Ms. Durbin died “a few days ago,” quoting her son, Peter H. David, who thanked her admirers for respecting her privacy. No other details were given.

Ms. Durbin had remained determinedly out of public view since 1949, when she retired to a village in France with her third husband.

From 1936 to 1942, Ms. Durbin was everyone’s intrepid kid sister or spunky daughter, a wholesome, radiant, can-do girl who in a series of wildly popular films was always fixing the problems of unhappy adults.

And as an instant Hollywood star with her very first movie, “Three Smart Girls,” she almost single-handedly fixed the problems of her fretting bosses at Universal, bringing them box-office gold.

In 1946, Ms. Durbin’s salary of $323,477 from Universal made her the second-highest-paid woman in America, just $5,000 behind Bette Davis.

Her own problems began when she outgrew the role that had brought her fame. Critics responded negatively to her attempts to be an adult on screen, as a prostitute in love with a killer in Robert Siodmak’s bleak film noir “Christmas Holiday” (1944) and as a debutante mixed up in a murder plot in “Lady on a Train” (1945.)

The child-star persona affected her personal life as well.

“When my first marriage failed, everyone said that I could never divorce. It would ruin the ‘image,’ ” she told Robert Shipman in Films and Filming magazine in 1983. “How could anybody really think that I was going to spend the rest of my life with a man I found I didn’t love, just for the sake of an ‘image’?”

The man was Vaughn Paul, an assistant director, whom she had married at 19 in 1941. The marriage lasted two years. Her second marriage, to Felix Jackson, the 43-year-old producer of several of her films, also ended in divorce, after the birth of a daughter.

The third marriage was a success: in 1950, at 28, she married Charles David, the 44-year-old French director of “Lady on a Train.” After starring in 21 feature films, she retired to a French farmhouse.

“I hated being in a goldfish bowl,” she said.

Edna Mae Durbin was born on Dec. 4, 1921, in Winnipeg, Manitoba, and grew up in Southern California, where she studied singing. She was discovered by an MGM casting director searching Los Angeles singing schools for someone to portray the opera star Ernestine Schumann-Heink as a child.

For more: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/01/movie ... l?hpw&_r=0
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

feaito

Post by feaito »

I am truly overwhelmed and flabbergasted. I always hoped she'd appear on TCM with Robert Osborne or in some Film Festival.... :cry:
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Deanna Durbin ... A classy actress/singer

With a smile that is a country mile long ... You will be missed by all of us!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Gosh, I can't believe it. What a wonderful woman, very brave and with a tremendously strong yet sweet screen personality! I'll miss her so much. I'll never forget her as the little imp in Three Smart Girls and it's sequel, and 100 Men and a Girl on up through the rest of her career. Her voice was as close to perfect as we could hear on earth. She left a big hole in musical pictures when she retired, but it made us love her all the more for being a stand up woman. Hard to believe she's gone. Maybe I prefer to think of her living on in a better place.

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I had never heard of Deanna Durbin until I read "The Genius of the System" by Thomas Schatz in the late 80s and learned of the role she played in saving Universal Studios.

I was in Moscow in 1995 and I went to the Illuzion Theater, which is apparently THE art cinema in Moscow. In the lobby, one wall was devoted to photos of Soviet movie stars, one wall to Soviet directors, one wall to non-Soviet movie stars and one to non-Soviet directors. I couldn't figure out who the dark haired woman was whose photo hung between the photos of Clark Gable and Humphrey Bogart. I walked over and saw that it was one of Deanna Durbin.

Apparently, her films were the first American films shown in the USSR since 1929 or so. They were shown as part of the Lend-Lease agreement with the USSR during WWII. (The Soviets agreed to show American movies, but they were afraid of American propaganda. The US ambassador said "Propaganda? Hell, Deanna Durbin movies don't even have ideas.") It was interesting to see that she was still remembered there (more so than in the USA.)

I have seen "Three Smart Girls," which was fun, as was "Lady on a Train," one of her later (trying to break the mold) films. I need to see more.