Gone With or Without fanfare

Discussion of programming on TCM.
CineMaven

Re: Gone With or Without fanfare

Post by CineMaven »

Sad news about a wonderful actress: WENDY HUGHES, passes away today:

7/29/1952 - 3/8/2014
Image Image

Click photos ( great movie, by the way ) for more details.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

Richard Coogan has died at the age of 99. He was in Captain Video and in other stuff too.
Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for a while and leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same. Perhaps you've had the pleasure of experiencing his theatrical talent on Broadway, sharing the stage with Mae West in "Diamond Lil", Kirk Douglas in "Spring Again" and Geraldine Page in "The Rainmaker". His family and friends knew him as "Captain Video" (TV, 1949). He also acted in "The Californians" (TV 1959), among many others. Richard's sense of humor was legendary and he was determined to live life on his own terms. But most of all, he had a never-ending devotion to golf. To honor Coogie's life, escape to a golf course and look at all its natural beauty; and if you're looking for Richard, that's where you'll find him. Richard is survived by his beloved son, Richard Coogan, Jr.; daughter-in-law Debbie; granddaughter Melissa; grandson Christopher; great-grandchildren Keira and Dylan; and his soul-mate, Leona. No services.
Published in the Los Angeles Times on Mar. 13, 2014
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Captain Video was a big hit in the Pacific Northwest and Richard Coogan has lots of fans here and you can count me one of them too. He has quite of following here - in a quite sense of the word.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Rita Hayworth wrote:Captain Video was a big hit in the Pacific Northwest and Richard Coogan has lots of fans here and you can count me one of them too. He has quite of following here - in a quite sense of the word.
Well, he was only Captain Video in the first season. Al Hodges had many more fans from the series.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Fans who grew up with The Tonight Show often remember David Brenner for his comic sense and the fact he appeared more times on the show than any one else.

David Brenner has passed away at the age of 78.

From the Hollywood Reporter:

David Brenner, the wry stand-up comic and pundit from Philadelphia who as a favorite of Johnny Carson appeared more times on The Tonight Show than any other guest, died Saturday. He was 78.

His longtime publicist Jeff Abraham confirmed Brenner's death from cancer to The Hollywood Reporter. "Brenner died peacefully at his home in NYC surrounded by his family at his side," read Abraham's statement.

By one estimate, the perpetually grinning Brenner appeared on The Tonight Show 158 times and guest-hosted the NBC late-night show on a handful of other occasions when Carson took time off. One book says he made more talk-show appearances than any other guest in history.

Said comic Richard Lewis in a tweet: "Brenner was a star. The king of 'hip, observational comedy' … He was family. This leaves an irreplaceable hole."

Brenner was born on Feb. 4, 1936, and lived in poor sections of South and West Philadelphia. His father, Louis, was a vaudeville singer, dancer and comedian who performed as “Lou Murphy,” and Brenner always said he was the funniest man he ever met. His dad gave up the stage and a Hollywood movie contract because his rabbi father objected to him working on Friday nights; three of Brenner's uncles also were rabbis, but the future comic never found the calling.

After high school, Brenner spent two years in the Army, then attended Temple University, where he majored in mass communications. He went on to write, direct or produce 115 TV documentaries, many about the plight of people fighting poverty, as the head of the documentary departments at Westinghouse Broadcasting and Metromedia Broadcasting.

Brenner, though, was discouraged that his documentary work never affected change.

“At the beginning, I thought, 'Well, you just present the public with a problem and some possible solutions and society will use that information to make things better for people,' ” he said in a 2008 interview with the Philadelphia Jewish Voice. “I eventually realized my naivete. It isn’t that we’re seeking the answers; we just don’t want to implement them. So I decided rather than try to solve problems, I would help people forget ’em.”

He did his first paid stand-up gig at The Improv in New York in June 1969. Later, when he was performing at the Bitter End in Greenwich Village, his agent invited the Tonight Show's talent coordinator to watch his client's act, Brenner recalled during a piece that ran in December on CBS This Morning.

"David Brenner does vomit material. Not only will he not be on The Tonight Show, we'll never let him in the building at 30 Rockefeller Plaza," he remembered the booker telling his agent. "I took that insult and said, 'You know what? Forget about me doing any television show. I'm doing The Tonight Show.' "

He began attending Tonight Show auditions to figure out what kind of comic the show wanted and worked out a monologue that was more tame and tailored to that sensibility. He made it on The Tonight Show on Jan. 8, 1971.

"Everything was perfect. You couldn't write a better scenario," Brenner said. "The next day, I had $10,000 worth of job offers. I never thought this was going to turn my whole life around."

A contemporary of Lewis, Freddie Prinze, Andy Kaufman, Steve Landesberg, Gabe Kaplan and others, Brenner perfected the art of observational comedy, or, as he once described it, "dumb things that we say or do."

"When I'm looking around for something in my house, I say this all the time: 'It's going to be in the last place I look,' " he said. "Of course it's going to be in the last place I look! Who finds something and keeps on looking?"

Brenner was to star in an NBC sitcom in the mid-'70s called Flip (some say the show was titled Snip), a spoof of the 1975 Warren Beatty movie Shampoo.

"It was produced by Jimmy Komack, who had hits with such shows as Welcome Back, Kotter and Chico and the Man," Brenner told the Philadelphia Inquirer in 1999. "Leslie Ann Warren was in it, and I had the Warren Beatty role. Five episodes were in the can and there were rough cuts of two others. … At the last moment, NBC pulled it. You know why? There was a gay guy on the show, and NBC was scared to death of that. Today you can't have a series without a gay guy in it, but that scared them back then."

Brenner's career suffered starting in the 1980s, he said, when he spent time fighting for custody of his sons Slade, Wyatt and Cole. "The courts say you can’t be away from home more than 50 nights a year or you’re an absentee father, so I had to give up on a lot, including The Tonight Show," he said.

For more: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/d ... -up-688854
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

One of the funniest things I saw him do, was a monologue about stupid things people say. This is not verbatim, but you'll get the idea: "I was riding the bus the other day, when the guy sitting next to me pointed to the newspaper I was sitting on, and said 'Are you reading that?'. I said 'yes I am', stood up, flipped the paper over, and sat back down."

He was one of a kind.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

A funny man, and one who gave the impression of being likeable. He seemed like a nice guy.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Composer Mitch Leigh, who, along with lyricist Joe Dorion, gave us the music for Man of La Mancha has passed away.

From the NY Times:

One day in 1964, a New York advertising-jingle composer in his early 30s received an unlikely job offer.

The composer, Mitch Leigh, the Brooklyn-born son of a Jewish furrier from Ukraine, had no theater experience to speak of. All he had ever done was compose incidental music for a couple of short-lived Broadway comedies — “Too True to Be Good” (1963) and “Never Live Over a Pretzel Factory” (1964). Now he was being asked to write the music for a new show that was going to try out at the Goodspeed Opera House in East Haddam, Conn. A few numbers about quests and wine and beautiful women. So Mr. Leigh gave it a shot.

The show, “Man of La Mancha,” opened in New York the next year and ran until 1971, a total of 2,328 performances. It won five Tony Awards, including best composer and lyricist (Mr. Leigh and Joe Darion) and best musical. Richard Kiley originated the dual role of Don Quixote, a doddering gentleman knight with a grand imagination, and Quixote’s creator, the Spanish author Miguel de Cervantes.

Since then, “Man of La Mancha” has appeared on countless stages around the globe (Jacques Brel played the lead in France), has become a staple of American regional theater, has been transformed into a 1972 film starring Peter O’Toole and has enjoyed four Broadway revivals.

The show’s soaring signature number, “The Impossible Dream” — whose lyrics refer to fighting “for the right, without question or pause” and being “willing to march into hell for a heavenly cause” — has been recorded by scores of artists, including Frank Sinatra and Plácido Domingo. It was sung at the memorial service of Senator Edward M. Kennedy by Brian Stokes Mitchell, the star of the most recent revival.

For more: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/17/theat ... .html?_r=0
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Awared winning European producer Karl Baumgarten has died at the age of 65.

Karl Baumgartner, the Italian-born, German producer who helped pioneer the model of European co-productions now standard in the industry, died at his home in Frankfurt on Tuesday. He was 65.

Born in the largely German-speaking region of South Tyrol in Italy. He moved to Frankfurt in the 1970s to devote himself to his love for arthouse cinema, first as an exhibitor and operator of the legendary Harmonie theater, later as a producer/distributor with the launch, together with Reinhard Brundig, of Pandora Film in 1982.

From the start, Pandora was a beacon of arthouse cinema, championing auteur directors such as Jim Jarmusch, Leos Carax, Aki Kaurismaki, Sally Potter and Kim Ki-duk. The company has remained true to its roots, with such features as Jarmusch's Only Lovers Left Alive, Carax' Holy Motors, Ari Folman's The Congress and Fatih Akin's upcoming drama The Cut on its recent slate.

As it became more difficult to finance such films, Baumgartner and Pandora began to combine state subsidies and regional tax credits from multiple territories to complete their budgets, a co-production financing model now virtually universal among arthouse producers.

Baumgartner's credits as a producer include Kusturica's Underground, winner of Cannes' Palme d'Or in 1995; Sandra Nettelbeck's cross over hit Mostly Martha (2001) – remade as No Reservations in 2007 starring Catherine Zeta-Jones and Aaron Eckhart – and Kaurismaki's Le Havre.

In 2012, Baumgartner received the Hollywood Reporter award for international excellence at the Cologne Conference. This year he was honored with the Berlinale Camera at the Berlin Film Festival. Kaurismaki presented him with the prize.

Following the news of his death, which came after a long illness, the Locarno Film Festival tweeted: “Very sad for the loss of great producer and Locarno’s friend Karl Baumgartner, Premio Raimondo Rezzonico 2004.”

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/k ... vre-689560
Lynn in Lake Balboa

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Famed cinematographer, and frequent collaborator with John Huston, Oswald Morris has died at 98.

Oswald Morris, the acclaimed British cinematographer who earned an Oscar for the 1971 musical Fiddler on the Roof and paired often with John Huston, has died. He was 98.

"Ossie" Morris, whose incredible resume includes such wide-ranging films as Stanley Kubrick's Lolita (1962), Franco Zeffirelli's The Taming of the Shrew (1967) and Jim Henson's The Great Muppet Caper (1981), died Monday at his home in Dorset, England, the British Society of Cinematographers announced.

He was one of the most outstanding directors of photography of the 20th century, perhaps best known for expanding the parameters of color cinematography, especially on Huston's Moulin Rouge (1952).

Morris also worked alongside Huston on Beat the Devil (1953), Moby Dick (1956), Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison (1957), A Farewell to Arms (1957), The Roots of Heaven (1958), Reflections in a Golden Eye (1967), The MacKintosh Man (1973) and The Man Who Would Be King (1975).

Morris' 2006 autobiography was titled Huston, We Have a Problem: A Kaleidoscope of Filmmaking Memories.

For more:http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/o ... her-689532
Lynn in Lake Balboa

Nick

Post by Nick »

From Jamaica Observer:
Errol Flynn's wife dies Saturday, March 22, 2014 | 10:29 PM
Kingston, Jamaica - American film and television actress and wife of the late Errol Flynn — Patrice Wymore Flynn — died this afternoon Saturday, March 22, at her home in Castle, Portland. She had been ailing for some time

MP for Western Portland Daryl Vaz confirmed her death. She was 84.
Note that the obit is wrong about her age. She was 87.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Actor James Rebhorn, so memorable inMy Cousin Vinnie and many other movies and tv appearances has died.

James Rebhorn, the busy character actor who played the father of Claire Danes' troubled CIA officer Carrie Mathison on the Showtime drama Homeland, has died. He passed away on Friday, his agent Dianne Busch confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter. He was 65.

"He died from melanoma, which had been diagnosed in 1992," Busch stated. "He fought it all this time. He died Friday afternoon at his home in New Jersey, where he had been receiving hospice care for a week and a half."

Rebhorn also had a recent recurring role on the USA Network hit White Collar as Special Agent Reese Hughes, head of the FBI's Manhattan white-collar crime unit.

During his prolific five-decade career, the Philadelphia native also was memorable as the district attorney that sent Jerry, Elaine, George and Kramer to jail on the Seinfeld finale in 1998 and as the prosecution’s FBI expert automotive witness in the hilarious film My Cousin Vinny (1992). He also had stints as attorneys on the David E. Kelley shows The Practice and Boston Legal and recurring roles on Third Watch, The Book of Daniel, Law & Order and Big Lake.

Rebhorn played the school's headmaster Mr. Trask in Scent of a Woman (1992) and was President Signoff in The Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle (2000).

For more: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/j ... ite-690464
Lynn in Lake Balboa

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Loved to 'hate' him as Albert Nimziki in Independence Day. "I''m not Jewish". "Nobody's perfect."
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard