Gone With or Without fanfare

Discussion of programming on TCM.
jdb1

Re: Gone With or Without fanfare

Post by jdb1 »

Birdy wrote:Mollie Sugden and her Pussy did more to make this world a happier place than MJ could ever dream of.
She was a riot. Do you remember the tarts and vicars party?

B
It's "German Week" all the way for me, although the episodes of the Christmas Show, Mrs. Slocombe's birthday ("Happy birthday, Dear Uh-Uh"), her Greek wedding, the cinema commercial, and her amnesia and regression are all a close second. And I could go on and on.

Why can't we have shows like Are You Being Served?
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

jdb1 wrote: Why can't we have shows like Are You Being Served?
Because we can't do it as well?

I'd vote for the original anytime, I can't think of an American character actress to match Sugden for a counterpart. Bea Arthur, oh wait, too late. :(
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Mrs Slocombe was a brilliant creation, it's not possible to be as niave about pussies these days, is it? Are You Being Served was so well cast.

I always wished my Grandma would get either a pink or blue rinse to her hair, I thought grey was very boring. I don't think pink or blue hair exists anymore.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
klondike

Post by klondike »

charliechaplinfan wrote:I don't think pink or blue hair exists anymore.
Trust me, Alison, my flaggers report to me every day about how often their feet are nearly run over by the "blue-haired grannies", still out driving their '68 Oldsmobiles, doubtless needing to sit on an ancient Sears catalogue or 2. :evil:
charliechaplinfan

I'm glad to know there are still some blue haired grannies out there.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

One of the things my daughter asked Sugden in her fan letter was "what color is your real hair?" Sugden responded that her hair was originally blonde. For the first few episodes, she said, she dyed her hair the outrageous colors required for Mrs. Slocombe, but the hair began to fall out, so she resorted to wigs. She added that when her sons were small (I think they are twins), they would get upset at their mother's constant change in hair color.

As I said, it was a very nice response letter.
charliechaplinfan

It's very nice of her to reply at all and to answer their question too. I like it when I find out things like that about celebrities. I bet she was younger than we realise when she played Mrs Slocombe.
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Didn't see this posted so I Just wanted to note the passing of Gordon Waller of Peter and Gordon fame who died on Friday, 7/17. This is really some summer....
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

The hits keep coming. The Taco Bell chihuahua, Gidget, died Tuesday night. She was 15. Descanse en paz.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Brenda Joyce, the only actress to play Jane with two different movie Tarzan actors, has died. She was 92.

A family friend, David Ragan, says she suffered from dementia for a decade and died July 4 of pneumonia at a nursing home in Santa Monica.

Joyce, whose real name was Betty Leabo, appeared in some two dozen movies but she is best known for succeeding Maureen O'Sullivan as Jane in the "Tarzan" pictures. She appeared in five "Tarzan" movies in the 1940s, opposite Johnny Weissmuller and later Lex Barker.

Joyce made her last movie in 1949. Ragan says she worked for the immigration department for a decade, helping new immigrants find housing and work.

She is survived by a son, two daughters and three grandchildren.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

klondike

Post by klondike »

MichiganJ wrote:The hits keep coming. The Taco Bell chihuahua, Gidget, died Tuesday night. She was 15. Descanse en paz.
She didn't perhaps . . uh . . visit a corporate processing plant, and have one of those "catwalk" falls, did she . . .?!! :roll: {psssst- order the chicken chalupa, just in case!}

:evil: Bad Klondike, BAD! . . I am now making myself sit in the corner . . :evil:
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Klondike!!!!!! For shame. Of all people to write such a thing about a dog@#%&$&* Who is the biggest dog lover on this whole board?

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

I remember seeing "The Rains Came" a couple of months ago on TCM and thinking Brenda Joyce did a wonderful job of acting - and I didn't know it was for her first movie!!!
I'd never seen her before but had only heard about her.....
Good going Brenda.

R.I.P. Miss Joyce.

Larry

PS - Ironically, David Ragan (mentioned in her obituary) is a good frined of mine. He's an author and has been clamouring for decades to do a book on my grandmother, Nell.
When my 90 year old father dies, I will let him do it...
I did not know that he knew Brenda Joyce!
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Didn't see a note on the passings of:

Budd Schulberg-- writer of, among other screenplays, On the Waterfront and A Face in the Crowd, as well as the novel What Makes Sammy Run? He died August 5th.

John Hughes--writer, director, producer of many of the 80's most memorable comedies including: Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club, Planes Trains and Automobiles and the can't-turn-it-off-when-flipping-around-the-dial Ferris Bueller's Day Off. He died August 6th.

Mink (Willy) DeVille also died last Thursday, August 6th. I was fortunate enough to see Mink DeVille perform at CBGBs back in the late 70's. And they rocked!
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

More sad news: the great pioneering guitarist Les Paul has passed away at 94.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090813/ap_ ... t_les_paul