Your Movie 'Guilty Pleasures'

Discussion of programming on TCM.
mrsl

Your Movie 'Guilty Pleasures'

Post by mrsl »

I 'borrowed' this topic from TCM city to talk about tonights programming.

One of my guilty pleasures is Free Willy 1, 2, and 3. I love all of them. I have them all on tape and often watch all three in a row in one sitting. Of course I pause now and then to make and eat dinner and other necessities of life, but for some reason they just make me happy.

These films are also what made me a fan of both Michael Madsen and August Schellenberg.

There is so much in all three movies about human values and family sharing, in addition to learning to care about people and things other than yourself. Madsen usually plays the bad guy in most movies, so I like to watch him in these for the way he tries so hard to become a good parent to a regular juvenile delinquent in the making. The relationship between him and Annie is also heartwarming, and Randolph (August S.) does a great job of being a friend, but also standing back so Glen, Annie and Jessie can form a true family circle.

Although the bond between Jessie and Willy is totally outrageous, it still makes for good storytelling. That whale was so beautifully trained, it almost looked like he smiled a few times. I was so sad to hear his true story after the movie.

This is definitely a terrific movie for the whole family to sit and watch together, and one I hope cinemalover taped to see with his kids some time.

Anyone else who watches it for their own 'guilty pleasure' without any kids around?

Anne
Ayres

Post by Ayres »

I'll watch any Meg Ryan romantic comedy any time it comes on, no matter how many times I've seen it. There's just something about all of them: their romantic city settings, her goofy charm, her sweet and odd little outfits...

I first noticed Meg Ryan when she played Betsy on "As the World Turns" in the 1980s (it was one of my grandma's couldn't-be-missed "stories"). She had a big romance with "Steve Andropolous." Never again heard from the chap who portrayed Steve, but I knew even then that she had a special something. I kept track of her and was familiar with her long before When Harry Met Sally.
vallo

Post by vallo »

Teen films from the '80's

The Breakfast Club
16 Candles
Can't Buy me Love
Risky Business
The Outsiders
to name a few.....

Leave your Brain at the Door ,and Enjoy!

vallo
"We're all forgotten sooner or later. But not films. That's all the memorial we should need or hope for."
-Burt Lancaster
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

Oh, man, I love those teen films from the '80's! Probably because that's my generation, Gen X or whatever label you want to put on it...

I recently watched Pretty in Pink, the dvd special edition. It was great to see the actors in present day interviews. Jon Cryer is just as funny and endearing now as he was then.

Another great fave of mine is Valley Girl starring Nicolas Cage! I pop that dvd in when I need an 80's fix.

Other 80's movie faves:
The Breakfast Club
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
St. Elmo's Fire
Sixteen Candles
Back to the Future

For classic film guilty pleasures, I love The Opposite Sex! Musical remake of The Women. I know it's bad, but I find it vastly entertaining.

Sandy K
benwhowell

Molly Ringwald

Post by benwhowell »

I love "Valley Girl" too. Great '80's soundtrack.
I love Molly Ringwald too..."Sixteen Candles" and "Pretty In Pink."
A couple of my favorite performances from Molly are in "Fresh Horses" and artist Cindy Sherman's dark comedy/thriller "Office Killer-"also with Carol Kane...
Would love to have seen her in the stage production of "Cabaret."
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

I've never seen Fresh Horses, I wonder if that is available anymore...

Too bad Molly hasn't had more of a career. She was certainly a very appealing actress.

It's interesting to see the paths that the Brat Pack-ers have taken. Rob Lowe, Jon Cryer, and Charlie Sheen have found great success on TV. Demi Moore was a big movie star, although her star has fallen now. Matthew Broderick had continued success on film and Broadway (where he started). Kevin Bacon still works a lot in film, Tom Cruise is a superstar.

Too bad the careers of Anthony Michael Hall, Andrew McCarthy and Ally Sheedy haven't quite soared to heights of the others.

Sandy K
vallo

Post by vallo »

I think "Valley Girl" is what started my craze. Had a crush on Elizabeth Daily (Pee Wee's Big Adventure)and Deborah Foreman who was also in a couple of others Real Genius and the really bad My Chauffeur and then she kind of disappeared. I can watch 80's *flicks (*80's term?) when they're on TV, even if it's somewhere in the middle. I know what I already missed.

vallo
"We're all forgotten sooner or later. But not films. That's all the memorial we should need or hope for."
-Burt Lancaster
bobhopefan1940

Post by bobhopefan1940 »

Oh gosh, I love some of those teeny-bopper flicks from the 80's and 90's, like Breakfast Club, Pretty In Pink, She's All that, ect, ect...

If you have never seen Never Been Kissed it is the ultimate spoof on the teen movie. Really hilarious, great romantic comedy... I'm not so sure if it is a 'guilty' pleasure, but one of my favorite movies of all time is Benny & Joon.

:oops: Guiltiest of all: Napoleon Dynamite, Starsky and Hutch, Dodgeball, just about any of the Stiller movies... Or the Shanghai comedies. I enjoy them immensely... :)
"How strange when an illusion dies. It's as though you've lost a child." --Judy Garland
"To help a friend in need is easy, but to give him your time is not always opportune." --Charlie Chaplin
"Dumb show is best for screen people, if they must appear in public." --Buster Keaton
klondike

Post by klondike »

My guilty pleasure?
Any movie with lots of classic dynamation.
I can't explain it, and certainly can't defend it; but I find few things as simultaneously adolescently thrilling & innocently hilarious as watching matinee-style adventure flicks just loaded with stop-motion critters.
Rent a vintage Harryhausen, give me a rack o' Guinness and a big ol' sack of microwave chicharrones (oh yes they do exist!), and me be a happy camper, senor!

Klondike
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Hey Klondike:

You're de-aging quickly, be careful or you'll disappear!!!

Boy am I bored!!! There must be a billion Brando fans out there, and they're all watching the documentary.

Guess I'll go read the end of my ghost/drama/love/mystery book. See you later.

Anne
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I'm a big fan of early Exploitation and Blaxploitation films.

I also love lots of cult films like Carnival of Souls, Johnny Got His Gun, Faster Pussy Cat/BVD, Seconds, The Warriors, Bucket of Blood, Man Bites Dog, The Loved One, Marat Sade, Gates of Heaven, Werner Herzog Eats his Shoe, and other similar movies.

There are also some films I enjoy that are flawed but have amazing indidvidual performances such as Regarding Henry or Prince of Tides. I really don't like these films as a whole but as someone who was in the theatre (and married a theatre person as well) I do appreciate a great individual performance. Christopher Walken's role in Dead Zone is another one, and if you ever find a film called Maximillan check it out! It's about Father Maximillan Kolbe who died in Auschwitz by taking the place of a condemed man in the starvation bunker. The amazing thing about this film is there is only one actor who plays all the parts. Incredibly well done!

As said above, I don't feel guilty about anything I like. If I enjoy it--that's enough. 8)
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

vallo wrote:I think "Valley Girl" is what started my craze. Had a crush on Elizabeth Daily (Pee Wee's Big Adventure)
Oh man she was soooo hot. I think she's doing cartoon voice-overs now.
Mr. Arkadin wrote:I also love lots of cult films like Carnival of Souls, Johnny Got His Gun, Faster Pussy Cat/BVD, Seconds, The Warriors, Bucket of Blood, Man Bites Dog, The Loved One, Marat Sade, Gates of Heaven, Werner Herzog Eats his Shoe, and other similar movies.
I've seen most of those, and they are all great. Everyone who has seen me post for any length of time knows I think BVD is the Best Movie Ever.

Are you familiar with Something Weird Video? I have a ton of those, with an emphasis on juvenile delinquent films. I can't resist a good JD flick.
vallo

Post by vallo »

>>Oh man she was soooo hot. I think she's doing cartoon voice-overs now. <<

Yes, She does the voice of Tommy Pickles on Nickelodeon's "The Rugrats"

vallo
-Burt Lancaster
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

I got a few guilty pleasures including a Universal B film "Girls in the Night" (1953), the musical "Little Shop of Horrors" (1986), and especially "Cobra Woman" (1944). Maria Montez plays twin sisters, one good, one evil, on a tropical island.