2011 TCM Festival

Discussion of programming on TCM.
pvitari

2011 TCM Festival

Post by pvitari »

Am I missing a thread that someone else started? I got an e-mail from TCM yesterday saying that Robert Osbourne would be making a big announcement about the 2011 TCM festival at 8 p.m. EST tonight (Sept. 21) on TCM. I will be glued to the tube at 8 p.m., you betcha!

caseylalonde

Re: 2011 TCM Festival

Post by caseylalonde »

YAY! RO just announced next April 28th through May 1st! I hope to see you there!
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Woo hoo! I hope to be there. Robert Osborne also mentioned that information is at http://www.tcm.com/festival.

Not much there right now but there is this:

"Passes go on sale November 2010."
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

I can't wait!! I think Suex2 has already reserved our room. We found that by sharing a room with two queen beds that we saved plenty of money that we could spend on food and drinks!

I loved the mattresses on the bed I had. It was one of the best hotel beds I've slept in.

If you want to come and know someone, share a room and save the money for the TCM Store and food and drinks!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

These dates are great for me too; so I'll be there!!
Perhaps I'll arrange a little cocktail party for the Oasis alumnees - I'll uproot a palm tree and put it in my room!!!
It will be good to see Lynn again; and it would be great if Moira & Nancy & Joe & Chris from Maryland could be there.
Alison from England and Fernando from Chile would be the icing on the cake!!

I'm making a wish for you all to come.....

Larry
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Oh, Larry that is such a great wish!

I can't wait to see you again! And I agree, there has to be a gathering of Oasis alum. We had one last Spring and some truly wonderful friendships have come out of it.

Oh man, I can't wait for Spring!

Of course, the way time is flying, it will be here next week. :shock:
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Anyone want to share a hotel room with me?

Er, non-smoking female applicants only need apply. ;)
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

How I would love to come. It would make a dandy anniversary gift for my bride. It might be even more fun for her if she stayed home and sent me. (Though there are many she would like to meet as well.)

Larry, it is good to see you again.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Thanks for the invitation, Larry. If there is any way to swing it, I'll be there....but don't hold your breath

Judith and I have been talking about this since last Spring. What fun it would be! Just getting together with all of you would be the highlight of the trip!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Larry, I'm so glad to read that you will be at next year's event.

Btw, you should be recording a few talks with the film historians while there. If there is any way we could all hop a plane and get there, it would be such fun to meet everyone we have come to know online over time. Though many of us have pocketbook and health issues to consider, it would be wonderful if it came to pass. And it's fun to just think about.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

Do we dare to suggest the stars we would like to see attending the Festival???!!!
Well I say - yes we do - and so, here goes:

Anne Francis and Dale Robertson showing "Lydia Bailey"
Jane Russell with "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes"
Janis Paige in "Silk Stockings"
Rhonda Fleming and Arlene Dahl presenting "Slightly Scarlet"
Joan Fontaine with "A Letter from an Unknown Woman"

also Ann Rutherford and Anne Jeffreys (but I don't know enough about their careers to suggest anything)....

All of these people are well into their 80's now and if we don't honour them now then perhaps it will be too late in coming years....

Larry
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Oh, Larry,
What a great wish list. I think I could die happy if I could see Joan Fontaine, Louis Jourdan, and Marcel Ophüls together to discuss Letter From an Unknown Woman. Probably not possible, but we can dream, can't we?

While we are wishing, could John Gavin possibly be there to comment on Douglas Sirk's A Time to Love and A Time to Die, a movie that you know so well and that deserves to be better known?

Janis Paige should definitely be there for Silk Stockings, but I'd also love to hear the backstory about the Academy Award winning short, I Won't Play (1944) in which she knocks the song, "Body and Soul" out of the park, the theater and the hemisphere. She just kills in that little movie.

I know that the oral history projects around the country have spoken with most of these individuals and they may not want to spend any precious time on the past, but it might give them some pleasure to realize that work they did half a century ago still resonates with people so strongly.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Moira,

I think your John Gavin idea is great...
I was trying to think of more men stars than just Dale Robertson, but couldn't think if any were alive still....

I've written to Lynn a few months ago with some of these suggestions to pass onto Robert Osborne... I'm sure she'll try but I don't know how to contact him.
I'm sure he'd try to personally invite them...

We can only hope!!

Larry
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Larry,

I wanted to let you know that I forwarded your ideas up the food chain at TCM (well as best I could).

Can't wait to see you in the Spring!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

It would be nice to get Eleanor Parker for something, though I hear she's never really been very open to interviews or anything like that.