2011 TCM Festival

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Vecchiolarry

Re: 2011 TCM Festival

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

Eleanor Parker is an excellent idea.... Great thinking!!
She could be featured in "Caged" or "Interrupted Melody"...

Larry
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

It'd be great if they showed the rarely-screened Three Secrets as well - for some reason, that film NEVER shows up on TCM.

-S.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

I am so looking forward to TCM Fest 2011...Larry, it would be great to meet you!
I hope I get to see Paula again, too! That was so funny how we met! We were both posting to this website at the
same time in the HRH lobby just after midnight! Billy Wilder couldn't have planned it better..

Moira, we want you there! As Queen of the TCM MORLOCKS blogs....

I hope we have a big SSO reunion!
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi SSA,

Yes, we will meet as I have Lynn to guide me around and show me the ropes!!!
I have read most of your reports here and on TCM board, so I have a fair idea what to expect and will look forward to seeing as many of you Oasis's as possible.

Since we are Oasisees, do we have to dress like Rudolph Valentino and Vilma Banky???

Larry
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I'll be Pola.....
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Nancy,

Wow, that would be nice - you as Pola Negri... if you come, I'll even let you wear the ruby ring she gave me that once was hers...
It's one of the first things I noticed about her when we first met in 1946 (I was 4 )...
She told me that "The Prince gave it to me many years ago; and since I paid for it, he was happy to give it to me!!".... "He was a pauper!!", she laughed...
I didn't know what she was talking about; but years later learned that one of her husbands had given it to her, but she had had to pay the bill!!!
Many more years later, just before she died, she gave it to me...

Larry
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

What an interesting woman she must have been. I think, Larry, Alison, Judith and I could sit up all night drinking a good wine and listening to your stories of old Hollywood stars, instead of attending some of the movies....

Now where did I put that black Maybelline eye pencil?

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

The latest missive from TCM 2011 festival central...

Mark your calendars! Festival Passes Go On Sale November 3, 2010!

We are pleased to announce that the 2011 TCM Classic Film Festival will have a special focus on programming that celebrates Music and the Movies, including outstanding composers, great songwriters and the unique role music plays in the art of filmmaking. Festival programming will also include a number of discoveries, significant restorations and special events that will be publicized in the coming weeks.

World Premieres of new restorations include:
A tribute to the film music of George and Ira Gershwin, kicking off with the Opening Night gala presentation of the 60th anniversary restoration of AN AMERICAN IN PARIS (1951) followed by our exclusive, star-studded after party produced by Vanity Fair magazine
The 70th anniversary restoration of CITIZEN KANE (1941) as part of a broader look at prolific composer Bernard Herrmann on the 100th anniversary of his birth
The MOMA restoration of HOOP-LA (1933) featuring legendary "It" girl Clara Bow in her last feature film performance

Other announced presentations include:
A salute to the "King of the Singing Cowboys," Roy Rogers, in honor of his 100th birthday
The Buster Keaton comedy THE CAMERAMAN (1929), with an original score performed live by the 12-piece orchestra, Vince Giordano and the Nighthawks
The North American premiere of the restoration of WENT THE DAY WELL? (1942), a fascinating, rarely-seen propaganda film from Britain

There are four levels of Festival Passes to choose from: the Matinee, the Classic, the Essential and the Spotlight. Be sure to buy your pass at tcm.com/festival starting November 3, 2010 as supplies are limited! Plus - for a limited time only - we're bringing back our TCM Fanatic Special of $100 off each pass as a reward for our fans who purchase by 5pm ET on December 17, 2010!

THE 'MATINEE' PASS $299 regular/$199 TCM Fanatic Special
Access to all film programs starting prior to 6pm at all festival venues Friday, April 29 - Sunday, May 1
Admission to Club TCM events and panels at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel until 6pm daily, Friday, April 29 - Sunday, May 1
Commemorative festival program

THE 'CLASSIC' PASS $499 regular/$399 TCM Fanatic Special
Access to all film programs at all festival venues Thursday, April 28 - Sunday, May 1 (does not include admittance to Opening Night Red Carpet Gala screening at the historic Grauman's Chinese Theatre)
Admission to all Club TCM events, panels and poolside screenings at Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel
Opening Night welcome party on Thursday, April 28 at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel
Friday and Saturday night passholder gatherings
Closing Night event on Sunday, May 1
Commemorative festival program

THE 'ESSENTIAL' PASS $599 regular/$499 TCM Fanatic Special
All of the benefits of the Classic pass, plus:
Entry to Opening Night Red Carpet Gala screening on Thursday, April 28, at the historic Grauman's Chinese Theatre (does not include Vanity Fair Opening Night Party)
Official TCM Classic Film Festival collectibles

THE 'SPOTLIGHT' PASS $1199 regular/$1099 TCM Fanatic Special
All of the benefits of the Essential pass, plus:
Priority entry to all shows
Entry to the Vanity Fair Opening Night party following the Red Carpet Gala screening
Exclusive "meet and greet" events with TCM friends hosted by Robert Osborne
Official festival poster signed by Robert Osborne
NOTE: Priority entry permits the "Spotlight" passholder to enter screenings and events first, as long as seating is available - however, seating is not guaranteed.

Be on the lookout for more exciting email announcements about the 2011 TCM Classic Film Festival in the coming weeks!

How else can you get the latest 2011 Festival information?
Keep checking TCM.com/festival to get all the latest announcements
Follow TCM on Twitter
Become a fan of TCM on Facebook
Become a member of the TCM Classic Film Union
Charlie Chap

Post by Charlie Chap »

I'm Hoping to attend! Hollywood here I come!
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

I ordered my pass too.

It would be fun to have a Silver Screen Oasis meet-up at the TCM fest but I don't know if there will be time... we'll all be so busy going to movies, panel discussions, etc.!
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

King,
I, too, am looking forward to seeing the "gang' at the Festival next Spring.

I think we need to plan another "In-N-Out Burger" gathering for that Thursday afternoon before all the festivities start. Kyle has indicated that he will be there this time.

Looking forward to seeing you and hanging out at the movies!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

The latest announcement from TCM re the festival. Mickey Rooney!

TCM Classic Film Festival to Spotlight Disney's Musical Legacy

The 2011 TCM Classic Film Festival--in collaboration with D23, The Official Disney Fan Club--is thrilled to announce a multi-faceted celebration of the studio's history of bringing music and film together.

Programming will include:
FANTASIA (1940) Recently restored edition
This groundbreaking animated anthology, one of Walt Disney's most astonishing achievements, combined classical music with animated imagery in an unforgettable manner. A commercial failure when it was first released, the film has since become a cultural treasure.

Silly Symphonies -- Curated by Leonard Maltin
Film historian Leonard Maltin will curate and introduce a selection of the memorable Silly Symphonies shorts. Many of the featured shorts, rarely seen today in theatres, broke new ground in animation techniques.

A Special Tribute to Disney Live-Action Musicals
After establishing its artistic reputation through animated films, the Disney studio moved into the realm of live-action musical features. The TCM Classic Film Festival's Disney celebration will include a special tribute to the Disney Live-Action Musicals.

Laugh-O-grams -- Newly discovered and restored shorts, presented in collaboration with the Walt Disney Family Museum and the Museum of Modern Art
Before he started the studio that would bear his name, Disney started the Laugh-O-grams studio in Kansas City, Missouri. This collection of recently discovered and restored works heralds the earliest days of Walt Disney's career.

Other recently announced festival presentations include:

Screen legend Mickey Rooney will be in attendance for a presentation of the musical GIRL CRAZY (1943), also starring Judy Garland and Guy Kibbee

Unseen for decades, the all-star aerial drama NIGHT FLIGHT (1933), starring John Barrymore, Clark Gable and Helen Hayes

A new print of DODSWORTH (1936) in celebration of the 75th anniversary of William Wyler's underappreciated classic

Stay tuned for more exciting screening and special guest announcements in the coming weeks!

LAST CHANCE TO SAVE $100! FANATIC SPECIAL ENDS DEC. 17!

Passes to the 2011 TCM Classic Film Festival, running April 28-May 1 in Hollywood, start at just $199 if purchased by Friday, December 17, 2010. Visit TCM.com/festival for complete pass descriptions and benefits. Act soon as supplies are limited and the Fanatic Special will not be extended!
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

Sadly, my suggestion to invite Anne Francis to the Festival must now be cancelled....

Miss Francis died yesterday at the age of 80 from lung and pancreatic cancer...
It would have been such a thrill to all of us to have met her and I'm sure she would have been honoured and happy to have been able to attend, if she'd been asked and been able!!

What a sad loss of a beautiful lady to the entertainment world...

R.I.P. Miss Francis

Larry
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

Having just written this last post about the surprising death of Anne Francis, I do strongly advise and suggest that the Festival organizers invite Joan Fontaine, Louis Jourdan, Eleanor Parker, Janis Paige and John Gavin to attend.
I do hope that all of them are in good health and would be honoured to come....

Larry