2011 TCM Festival

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Re: 2011 TCM Festival

Post by Lzcutter »

More films on the schedule,

It's not the final schedule but TCM is giving us some more tidbits of the fun to come:

The festival will be packed with a number of outstanding films that are primed to be rediscovered by film fans. Each film has been painstakingly restored and features work by well-known film personalities.

✮ Reds (1981) – 30th anniversary screening introduced by Warren Beatty and Alec Baldwin
Warren Beatty earned an Oscar for directing this powerful look at the life and career of revolutionary journalist and activist John Reed. Diane Keaton co-stars as fellow writer Louise Bryant, with Jack Nicholson as playwright Eugene O’Neill and Oscar-winner Maureen Stapleton as social activist Emma Goldman. Among the film’s many highlights are Vittorio Storaro’s Oscar-winning cinematography and the intriguing use of commentary by real-life activists, writers and educators interspersed throughout the story. Beatty, who also earned Best Actor, Best Original Screenplay and Best Picture nominations for the film, will discuss its legacy during a pre-screening interview with Alec Baldwin, co-host of TCM’s The Essentials movie showcase.

✮ The Parent Trap (1961) – 50th anniversary screening introduced by Hayley Mills
This delightful comedy stars Hayley Mills as a pair of sisters who were separated shortly after birth when their parents divorced. Now they’re determined to get the adults back together. This film marked Mills’ second of six projects for Disney. It features three songs written by Richard M. and Robert B. Sherman, including the title song performed by Tommy Sands and Annette Funicello.

✮ Whistle Down the Wind (1961) – 50th anniversary screening introduced by Hayley Mills
Hayley Mills stars in this allegorical drama based on a book by her mother, novelist Mary Hayley Bell. Mills plays the oldest of three children who protect a fugitive in their barn after mistaking him for Jesus. Alan Bates and Bernard Lee also star, with Bryan Forbes making his feature debut as director. The whistling on the soundtrack was reportedly provided by Sir Richard Attenborough. This story was later turned into a stage musical by Andrew Lloyd Weber and Jim Steinman.

✮ Shaft (1971) – 40th anniversary screening introduced by Richard Roundtree
This seminal blaxploitation flick stars Richard Roundtree as a private detective on the hunt for the daughter of a Harlem mobster. Directed by the legendary Gordon Parks, the film is based on a novel by Ernest Tidyman. Isaac Hayes wrote and performed the theme song, which earned the Oscar for Best Original Song.

✮ Breakfast at Tiffany’s (1961) – World premiere of 50th anniversary restoration
Truman Capote’s flighty story comes to the big screen with Audrey Hepburn as a backwoods girl who runs away to find success in New York. There, she finds herself involved with a gigolo (George Peppard). Patricia Neal and Mickey Rooney co-star. Henry Mancini’s score, including the Oscar-winning song “Moon River, co-written with Johnny Mercer, is a favorite of many movie fans.

✮ The Guns of Navarone (1961) – World premiere of 50th anniversary digital restoration introduced by the Gregory Peck’s family
Gregory Peck headlines this exciting World War II action film based on a novel by Alistair MacLean. The story follows the Dodecanese Campaign, in which Allied commandos seek to destroy an impregnable German fortress. David Niven and Anthony Quinn co-star. The film earned seven Academy Award nominations, including Best Picture and Best Director (J. Lee Thompson), and won the award for its outstanding special effects.

✮ To Kill a Mockingbird (1962) – Introduced by Gregory Peck’s family, as well as co-star Mary Badham
Robert Mulligan’s powerful adaptation of Harper Lee’s novel stars Gregory Peck in an Oscar-winning performance as Atticus Finch, a widowed Southern lawyer who risks everything to stand up against racism. The story is told from the point of view of his daughter, Scout (Mary Badham), a tomboy who spends her summer days with her older brother, Jem (Phillip Alford) and their awkward neighbor Dill (John Megna), the latter based on Lee’s close friend, Truman Capote. Brock Peters co-stars as a black sharecropper wrongly accused of raping a white woman, and Robert Duvall, in his film debut, plays Scout and Jem’s mysterious neighbor, Boo Radley. This true American classic also earned Oscars for Horton Foote’s memorable screenplay and the evocative art direction/set decoration by Alexander Golitzen, Henry Bumstead and Oliver Emert.

✮ The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976) – World premiere of 35th anniversary digital restoration
Clint Eastwood’s revisionist western features the actor as a peaceful Missouri farmer driven to revenge after his wife and son are killed. Chief Dan George, Sondra Locke and Sam Bottoms co-star. Bruce Surtees’ cinematography and Jerry Fielding’s Oscar-nominated score are among the many highlights in this widely praised film.

✮ Network (1976) – 35th anniversary screening of archival print from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences Archive
This prescient film from director Sidney Lumet follows the behind-the-scenes wrangling over a network news program after its anchor becomes unhinged on camera. Predicting the rise of reality television and other media trends, Paddy Chayefsky’s Academy Award®-winning script is a satirical masterpiece, providing the perfect foundation for Oscar-winning performances by Peter Finch, Faye Dunaway and Beatrice Straight, as well as nominated performances by William Holden and Ned Beatty.

✮ The Constant Nymph (1943) – Long-out-of-circulation film and one of TCM’s most requested titles
Joan Fontaine earned her third Oscar nomination for this passionate romance about a girl who falls madly in love with a self-absorbed but married composer, played by Charles Boyer. Alexis Smith co-stars as Boyer’s wife. Edmund Goulding directed this intelligent, touching story, which features a sweeping score by Erich Wolfgang Korngold. This film has long been out of circulation because of competing rights for Margaret Kennedy’s novel and play. It is among the movies most frequently requested by TCM fans.

✮ The Devil is a Woman (1935) – World premiere of restoration presented in partnership with the Museum of Modern Art
This drama set in Spain stars Marlene Dietrich as a woman who belongs to nobody and is the obsession of many. Lionel Atwill and Cesar Romero co-star. This marked the last of seven collaborations between Dietrich and filmmaker Josef von Sternberg.

✮ This is the Night (1932) – UCLA restoration
Thelma Todd plays a woman caught between two men in this pre-code comedy full of risqué elements. Cary Grant scores in his first feature film role as Todd’s javelin-throwing husband, while Roland Young plays her paramour. Frank Tuttle directed the film, which is based on a play by Henry Falk.

✮ Cabin in the Sky (1943) – Introduced by film historian and author Donald Bogle
This groundbreaking musical features an all-star cast in a retelling of the Faust legend. Ethel Waters, Eddie “Rochester” Anderson, Lena Horne, Rex Ingram and Duke Ellington star in Vincente Minnelli’s debut film as a director. Among the musical highlights is Waters’ performance of the Oscar-nominated “Happiness Is a Thing Called Joe.” Film historian and author Donald Bogle, whose latest book is Heat Wave: The Life and Career of Ethel Waters, will introduce the screening.

✮ West Side Story (1961) – 50th anniversary screening of 70mm print
This extraordinary musical combines the talents of choreographer/co-director Jerome Robbins, composer Leonard Bernstein, lyricist Stephen Sondheim, co-director Robert Wise and writers Ernest Lehman and Arthur Laurents. The result is one of the greatest film musicals ever made. Natalie Wood and Richard Beymer lead the cast as star-crossed lovers in the mold of Romeo & Juliet. Rita Moreno and George Chakiris earned two of the film’s 10 Oscars. The brilliant songs have become permanently entrenched in pop culture, with such tunes as “Maria,” “Tonight,” “Somewhere” and “America,” to name a few.

✮ Pennies from Heaven (1981) – 30th anniversary screening of new print
This unique musical, adapted from Dennis Potter’s popular British television series, stars Steve Martin as a married Depression-era sheet-music salesman who falls for another woman. Bernadette Peters, Christopher Walken and Jessica Harper co-star under the direction of Herbert Ross. Danny Daniels’ choreography faithfully recreates the style of such legendary Hollywood choreographers as Busby Berkeley and Hermes Pan. The songs are taken from vintage musicals of the period, with the stars cleverly lip-syncing to the recordings.

✮ The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) – 60th anniversary presentation
Robert Wise’s sci-fi drama stars Michael Rennie as a visitor from outer space who comes with a warning for the people of Earth. Patricia Neal co-stars as the woman who helps him. Robert Wise’s pacifist drama has been hailed as one of the genre’s finest works. Bernard Herrmann’s score features several electronic instruments not commonly used in 1951, including the eerie-sounding Theremin, which later became a staple of science-fiction films.

✮ The 7th Voyage of Sinbad (1958)
The colorful fantasy stars Kerwin Matthews as the title hero, who sets out to save a princess shrunken by an evil wizard. This marked one of Herrmann’s numerous collaborations with producer Charles H. Schneer and special effects master Ray Harryhausen. Herrmann’s music for a scene in which Sinbad battles a skeleton is a xylophone tour de force.

✮ Taxi Driver (1976) – New restoration and 35th anniversary
Martin Scorsese’s brutal thriller features Robert DeNiro in one of his most disturbing roles as Travis Bickle, a disillusioned cab driver bent on cleaning up the streets of New York. Jodie Foster is a child prostitute who becomes an object of his obsession. Using a jazzy, mournful saxophone, Bernard Herrmann invokes a film noir feel for this dark movie set mostly at night.

Happy Trails: Roy Rogers
The TCM Classic Film Festival will salute Roy Rogers, the “King of the Singing Cowboys,” with four music-filled westerns, all restored in time for the 100th anniversary of Rogers’ birth.

✮ Under Western Stars (1938)
Roy Rogers landed his first starring role for Republic Pictures with this tuneful western. The story follows the cowboy as he seeks election to public office in order to bring water to the ranchers in his district. Songs include “Dust,” “Send My Mail to the Country Jail,” “Back to the Backwoods,” “Rogers for Congressman” and “When a Cowboy Sings a Song.”

✮ Cowboy and the Senorita
(1944)
Roy comes to the rescue when a villain tries to steal a goldmine from the young woman who inherited it from her dead father. Mary Lee and Rogers’ wife, Dale Evans, co-star. In addition to the title song, the film features such Phil Ohman-Ned Washington tunes as “The Enchilada Man” and “What’ll I Use for Money?”

✮ My Pal Trigger (1946)
Roy sets out to clear his name when he is accused of killing a prize horse in this western co-starring Dale Evans and George “Gabby” Hayes. Songs include “Ole Faithful,” “Livin’ Western Style” “All the Cowhands Want to Marry Harriet” and “El Rancho Grande.”

✮ Trigger Jr. (1950)
When a killer horse is set loose by a local villain, it’s up to Roy to save the day with the help of his own trusty steed. Dale Evans and Grant Withers co-star. Roy Rogers and The Riders of the Purple Sage sing “May the Good Lord Take a Likin’ to You,” “Stampede” and “The Big Rodeo.” This film was released just one year before Rogers and Evans launched the long-running television series The Roy Rogers Show.

Midnight Movies
✮ The Tingler (1959) – Introduced by Film Forum programmer Bruce Goldstein and presented in partnership with Film Forum
Featuring one of director William Castle’s most intriguing concepts, this unique horror film stars Vincent Price as a scientist who discovers fear is caused by a creature that grows along the human spine. Castle pulls out all the stops to keep moviegoers on edge, with such memorable scenes as an LSD trip and a dream sequence with color tinting. TCM has several surprises in store for the audience in keeping with Castle’s reputation as Hollywood’s master of promotional gimmicks.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

And TCM is bringing back the Road to Hollywood prior to the Film Festival and it is a bit longer than last year. Best news, tickets to the films are FREE!

TCM Announced the 2011 Edition of "The Road To Hollywood", the channel's roadshow of free screenings across the country leading up to the 2011 Classic Film Festival in Hollywood, April 28th - May 1st. And, for all those that felt left out last year, this year the show is stopping in a slew of new cities in many different regions.

The "Road" show starts in Seattle on March 3rd with a screening of North By Northwest hosted by Robert Osborne and Eva Marie Saint. (Sorry, already "sold out.")

The rest of the itinerary and screenings are -

Cleveland - Wednesday, March 16
North By Northwest - hosted by Robert Osborne and Eva Marie Saint
(Tickets Available March 2)

Tampa - Monday, March 21
Smokey and the Bandit - hosted by Ben Mankiewicz and Burt Reynolds
(Tickets Available March 9)

Chicago - Thursday, March 24
Seven Brides For Seven Brothers - hosted by Robert Osborne and Jane Powell
(Tickets Available March 10)

New York City - Monday, April 2
The Manchurian Candidate - hosted by Robert Osborne and Angela Lansbury
(Tickets Available March 18)

St. Louis - Monday, April 4
The Birds - hosted by Ben Mankiewicz and Tippi Hedren
(Tickets Available March 21)

Long Island (Huntington, N.Y.) - Wednesday, April 13
The Birds - hosted by Robert Osborne and Tippi Hedren
(Tickets Available March 30)

Austin, Texas - Saturday, April 16
Rio Bravo - hosted by Ben Mankiewicz and Angie Dickinson
(Tickets Available April 2)

San Francisco - Wednesday, April 20
Elmer Gantry - hosted by Ben Mankiewicz and Shirley Jones
(Tickets Available April 5)

Los Angeles - Thursday, April 21
From Here To Eternity - hosted by Ben Mankiewicz and Ernest Borgnine
(Tickets Available April 7)

Tickets can be reserved beginning on the appropriate dates at the link below -
http://www.tcm.com/2011/roadtohollywood/index.html
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Lynn,

Thanks for the update on Festival films and guests.

The Roy Rogers movies will be for me a very nostalgic experience. As most of you know Roy Rogers was the only "movie star" for me for many years. I was his #1 fan (at least in my mind) for most of my young years!!!

"Carousel" and "The Constant Nymph" are the only other films I'm interested in, as I've never seen them before.
But, I will take in some others: "The Devil Is a Woman" & "This is the Night" perhaps....

It would be good if George Chakiris and Rita Moreno could guest for "WSS"....
And of course, the biggest star of the series would be Joan Fontaine!!!! If they can get her....

I'm still hoping that an Eleanor Parker film can be provide and of course, with her along too!!

Larry
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

The Roy Rogers movies are the number one must-sees for me!

Ah, the irony... no TCM tour in its hometown, ATLANTA.

Grrrr.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Kingrat, I've seen very good prints of Whistle Down the Wind (1961) in the past, and I am hoping you will be pleased when you see it on the big screen. Since this film features Hayley Mills (whose mother Mary Hayley Bell wrote the story) and was produced in part by one of the best actors, Richard Attenborough, it is a coup that Haley can come to the TCM Festival, though I wish Attenborough could to. I understand that the nearly 90 year old Mr. Attenborough is now in a wheelchair but he appears to make up for it with an extremely lively mind, with much of his attention taken up with the development of Dragon International Film Studios, in Wales, called "Valleywood" by industry wags, who have noted its struggles to get films made there in the current chilly economic climate. It would also be fantastic if more of Attenborough's films (Seance on a Wet Afternoon, Brighton Rock, London Belongs to Me, to name just a few) could be featured at the TCM festival.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Just Announced:

Peter O'Toole has been added to the roster of the TCM Film Festival!

He will be getting his hands enshrined in the forecourt of the Chinese Theater!

He will sit down for an extensive one-on-one interview with Robert O that will be broadcast on TCM later this year.

And, there will be a screening of Becket, one of the films for which he was nominated for an Oscar. His co-star is Richard Burton.

http://news.turner.com/article_display. ... le_id=5588

So, Happy St. Paddy's Day!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

SHRRRRIEEEKKKKK

When I saw that news about Peter O'Toole in my e-mail, I nearly blasted through the roof. I ADORE that man. I can't believe I will finally see him in person. *faint*
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

It's announced this morning, hold on to your hats, KIRK DOUGLAS will be at the TCM Film Festival this year. He will do an interview with Robert O, show clips from his one-man show, Before I Go and introduce Spartacus.

It all happens a month from now!

Read more here:
http://news.turner.com/article_display. ... le_id=5624
Lynn in Lake Balboa

klondike

Post by klondike »

Lzcutter wrote: ✮ This is the Night (1932) – UCLA restoration
Thelma Todd plays a woman caught between two men in this pre-code comedy full of risqué elements. Cary Grant scores in his first feature film role as Todd’s javelin-throwing husband, while Roland Young plays her paramour.
Wait a minute . . . :shock:
Cary Grant gets cuckolded by Roland Young . . . ?
As in Cosmo Topper, from the Topper comedies . . ?!
As in the naughty uncle from The Philadelphia Story ?!
That Roland Young . . . ???
Well, that should be an exercise in suspending one's disbelief! :?
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I'd love to be there just to see the restored The Constant Nymph, I love that movie. If there are any fans I've just posted a funny out take on the Charles Boyer thread in the People of Film section.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Here's the latest news: Bernard Herrmann's daughter, Nancy and Tina Sinatra, Roy and Dale's daughter Cheryl and former SSO guest, JB Kaufman are all part of the line-up:

Poolside Screening
On the opening night of the TCM Classic Film Festival, TCM will make a big splash at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel with
a poolside screening of the rocking Elvis Presley musical Girl Happy (1965).

Girl Happy (1965) – Poolside at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel
Elvis Presley’s last big blockbuster features the King of Rock ‘n’ Roll as a singer assigned to keep an eye on a young woman
during Spring Break in Ft. Lauderdale. Shelley Fabares co-stars, along with Harold Stone and Gary Crosby. The soundtrack
album, featuring the title song, along with “Spring Fever,” “Do the Clam” and “You’ll Be Gone,” climbed to #8 on the
charts. This special screening will take place poolside at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel, the host hotel for the TCM Classic
Film Festival.

Anniversaries, Restorations and Discoveries
The festival will be packed with a number of outstanding films that are primed to be rediscovered by film fans. Each film has
been painstakingly restored and features work by well-known film personalities.

Gaslight (1944) – Introduced by Angela Lansbury
Angela Lansbury earned the first of three Oscar nominations for her performance as Nancy, a young maid whose employer
may be trying to drive his wife insane. Lansbury made a strong impression at the age of only 18, holding her own against the
film’s powerhouse stars, Charles Boyer and Oscar winner Ingrid Bergman. George Cukor directed the film, which is the
second adaptation of a popular Patrick Hamilton play that first came to screens in 1941.

A Place in the Sun (1951) – 60th anniversary screening introduced by Rose McGowan
Elizabeth Taylor and Montgomery Clift star in this adult drama of a young man who falls in love with a society girl while
trying to make his way in his uncle’s company. Shelley Winters co-stars as the girl he leaves behind. Michael Wilson and
Harry Brown wrote the Oscar-winning screenplay, which is based on Theodore Dreiser’s An American Tragedy. The film
also earned Oscars for director George Stevens, composer Franz Waxman, costume designer Edith Head, cinematographer
William C. Mellor and editor William Hornbeck.

Now, Voyager (1942) – Introduced by Illeana Douglas
A young unmarried woman living with her mother finds new life with the help of a psychiatrist and a new lover in this classic
drama starring Bette Davis, Claude Rains and Paul Henreid. Casey Robinson adapted Olive Higgins Prouty’s best-selling
novel, which is given lush treatment and a memorable Max Steiner score.

Pennies from Heaven (1981) – 30th anniversary screening of new print introduced by Illeana Douglas
This unique musical, adapted from Dennis Potter’s popular British television series, stars Steve Martin as a married
Depression-era sheet-music salesman who falls for another woman. Bernadette Peters, Christopher Walken and Jessica
Harper co-star under the direction of Herbert Ross. Danny Daniels’ choreography faithfully recreates the style of such
legendary Hollywood choreographers as Busby Berkeley and Hermes Pan. The songs are taken from vintage musicals of the
period, with the stars cleverly lip-syncing to the recordings.

The Mummy (1932) – Introduced by Ron Perlman
Boris Karloff plays the title role in this atmospheric chiller from first-time director Karl Freund. After being buried thousands
of years, he rises from his tomb to be with the woman he believes to be his reincarnated lover. This film marked another
triumph for Universal Studios and Boris Karloff after such memorable tales as Frankenstein (1931) and The Old Dark House
(1932). Prosthetic pioneer Jack Pierce spent eight hours each day preparing Karloff’s exceptional make-up.

Goldfinger (1964) – Introduced by director Guy Hamilton
Considered by many to be the greatest James Bond film ever, this exciting outing features 007 as he tries to prevent the
robbery of Fort Knox’s gold supply. Sean Connery stars, with Honor Blackman as Pussy Galore and Gert Frobe as the title
villain. This marked the first of four Bond films directed by Guy Hamilton and the first of three to feature Shirley Bassey’s
powerful voice over the opening credits.

The Third Man (1949) – Introduced by director Guy Hamilton and script supervisor Angela Allen
Postwar Vienna serves as the setting for this classic thriller about a writer trying to track down an old friend, only to hear that
the friend has been killed. But all is not as it seems. Joseph Cotten, Alida Valli, Orson Welles and Trevor Howard star, with a
screenplay by novelist Graham Greene and an enormously popular zither score by Anton Karas. Legendary director Carol
Reed helmed the film, which earned the Grand Prix at the Cannes Film Festival and the British Academy Award for Best
Film. Prior to the screening, director Guy Hamilton and script supervisor Angela Allen will discuss their experience working
the film, which marked Hamilton’s fifth outing as assistant director and Allen’s first film as script supervisor.

Bigger Than Life (1956) – Introduced by Barbara Rush
James Mason headlines this powerful and daring drama from director Nicholas Ray about a teacher who becomes a drug
addict. Barbara Rush, who plays Mason’s devoted wife, will introduce the film. Bigger Than Life co-stars Walter Matthau
and is based on an article in The New Yorker. Although a financial flop when it was originally released, the film has since
been hailed as a masterpiece. In 1963, French director Jean-Luc Godard named it once of the 10 best American sound films.

The Man with the Golden Arm (1955) – Introduced by Nancy and Tina Sinatra, daughters of Frank Sinatra, and
Victoria Preminger, daughter of director Otto Preminger
Two of Frank Sinatra’s well-known children, pop-star Nancy Sinatra and actress Tina Sinatra, will take the stage to pay
tribute to their father while they introduce one of his most powerful performances. Otto Preminger directed this stark look at
a musician who becomes addicted to heroin. Eleanor Parker, Kim Novak and Darren McGavin co-star, with a fine jazz score
by Elmer Bernstein.

The Connection (1961) – World premiere restoration introduced by director Allison Anders
Experimental filmmaker Shirley Clarke made her feature directorial debut with this searing drama about a group of junkies
waiting for the arrival of their latest fix and the documentary filmmaker who wants to chronicle their behavior. Based on a
play by Jack Gleber, this groundbreaking independent film was banned in New York until a lawsuit led the New York State
Court of Appeals to clear the way for its exhibition.

A Night at the Opera (1935) – Introduced by film historian and producer Robert S. Bader and Andy Marx, grandson
of Groucho Marx
Robert S. Bader (The Dawn of Sound: How Movies Learned to Talk) and Groucho Marx’s grandson Andy Marx will
introduce this hilarious Marx Brothers romp about a pair of lovers trying to make it in the opera world. Kitty Carlisle, Allen
Jones and Margaret Dumont co-star in the film, which was cut down for subsequent releases until much of the lost footage
was restored after the discovery of a more complete print in Hungary.

The Devil is a Woman (1935) – World premiere of restoration presented in partnership with the Museum of Modern
Art and introduced by MoMA film collection manager Katie Trainor
This drama set in Spain stars Marlene Dietrich as a woman who belongs to nobody and is the obsession of many. Lionel
Atwill and Cesar Romero co-star. This marked the last of seven collaborations between Dietrich and filmmaker Josef von
Sternberg.

Hoop-La (1933) – World premiere of new restoration presented in partnership with the Museum of Modern Art
(MoMA) and introduced by MoMA film collection manager Katie Trainor and Clara Bow biographer David Stenn
This pre-Code romantic drama marks the final feature film of the “It” girl, Clara Bow, as she plays a carnival hula dancer out
to seduce the carnival owner’s son. Although Bow was originally unenthusiastic about making the film and was only doing it
so she could finish her studio contract and retire, her excellent performance lifts the material above the ordinary. Preston
Foster and Richard Cromwell co-star under the direction of Frank Lloyd.

This is the Night (1932) – UCLA restoration introduced by film historian and author Foster Hirsch and Jennifer
Grant, daughter of Cary Grant
Thelma Todd plays a woman caught between two men in this pre-Code comedy full of risqué elements. Cary Grant scores in
his first feature film role as Todd’s javelin-throwing husband, while Roland Young plays her paramour. Frank Tuttle directed
the film, which is based on a play by Henry Falk.

Niagara (1953) – Introduced by film historian and author Foster Hirsch
This intriguing thriller from writer-producer Charles Brackett and director Henry Hathaway stars Joseph Cotten and Marilyn
Monroe as George and Rose Loomis, a married couple vacationing at Niagara Falls. As their relationship unravels, she plots
to have her husband killed, but not everything goes as it should. The cinematography by Joe MacDonald and art direction by
Maurice Ransford and Lyle Wheeler put a unique, colorful spin on the film noir genre. The film was an enormous box-office
hit, joining the same year’s Gentlemen Prefer Blondes and How to Marry a Millionaire in making Monroe a superstar.

Casanova in Burlesque
(1944) – Introduced by Cheryl Rogers-Barnett, daughter of Roy Rogers and Dale Evans
Joe E. Brown stars in this comedy about a man leading a double life: burlesque comedian during the summer and
Shakespeare professor during the winter. June Havoc and a young Dale Evans co-star. Among the movie’s memorable songs
are “Who Took Me Home Last Night?” and “Taming of the Shrew.”

All About Eve (1950)
Few movies cut as sharp and as deep as Joseph L. Mankiewicz’s cynical backstage drama starring Bette Davis, Anne Baxter,
Oscar-winner George Sanders, Celeste Holm, Gary Merrill, Hugh Marlow, Thelma Ritter and Marilyn Monroe. The story
follows an aging Broadway actress whose admiring fan is quickly turning out to be her professional and romantic rival. With
14 Academy Award nominations, All About Eve is the most nominated film of all time. In addition to Sanders’ trophy for
Best Supporting Actor, Mankiewicz took home prizes for Best Director and Best Screenplay, Edith Head and Charles Le
Maire earned honors for Best Costume Design, and the film itself beat out such fellow classics as Sunset Blvd., King
Solomon’s Mines and Father of the Bride to win Best Picture.

One, Two, Three (1961) – 50th anniversary screening
James Cagney headlines his uproarious Billy Wilder comedy about a soda executive trying to overcome scandal in West
Berlin when his boss’ visiting daughter falls for a communist. The outstanding cast includes Arlene Francis, Horst Buchholz,
Pamela Tiffin and Red Buttons. Wilder and frequent collaborator I.A.L. Diamond wrote the screenplay based on a Ferenc
Molnar play. This marked Cagney’s last big-screen appearance before his 20-year-hiatus from the screen.

Disney’s Musical Legacy
Presented in collaboration with D23, The Official Disney Fan Club, this multi-faceted collection of screenings will
celebrate Disney’s history of bringing music and film together. As part of the celebration, TCM will include several liveaction
Disney musicals, including Summer Magic (1963).

Summer Magic (1963) – Introduced by Hayley Mills
Hayley Mills earned a Golden Globe nomination for her performance in this Disney family classic about a family growing
up in Maine on a shoestring budget. Dorothy McGuire plays the widowed matriarch of the clan. The screenplay was adapted
from the book Mother Carey’s Chickens by Kate Douglas Wiggin. Burl Ives co-stars and sings the memorable ditty “The
Ugly Bug Ball.”

Laugh-O-grams (1920) - Introduced by Disney historian, JB Kaufman
The earliest animation of Walt Disney done in his Kansas City days before he lit out for the territory beyond, Hollywood. Recently restored, this screening includes two previous Laugh-O-grams believed to have been lost, The Peroxide Kid aka Goldilocks and Jack the Giant Killer.

A Celebration of Bernard Herrmann
From Alfred Hitchcock to Orson Welles, composer Bernard Herrmann collaborated with some of Hollywood’s greatest film
artists. His innovative and evocative scores continue to influence composers today. The festival will commemorate the 100th
anniversary of his birth with several screenings, including a 70th anniversary presentation of Citizen Kane (1941), a 35th
anniversary presentation of the recently restored Taxi Driver (1976) and the fantasy classic The 7th Voyage of Sinbad (1958).
In addition, Jerry Mathers will introduce the Hitchcock comedy-thriller The Trouble with Harry (1955), in which he costarred.
And Herrmann’s daughter, Dorothy Herrmann, will introduce films featuring two of the composer’s best scores.

The Trouble with Harry (1955) – Introduced by Jerry Mathers
This delightful tongue-in-cheek thriller from director Alfred Hitchcock stars John Forsythe, Shirley MacLaine, Edmund
Gwenn, Mildred Natwick and, in his first major film role, Jerry Mathers. The story involves a dead body, the various people
who may have murdered him and the hilarious attempts to cover up the crime. Bernard Herrmann’s delightful score was
considered by the composer to be a tribute to Hitchcock’s macabre sense of humor.

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (1947) – Introduced by Dorothy Herrmann, composer Bernard Herrmann’s daughter
Bernard Herrmann’s lovely score – reportedly the composer’s personal favorite – is just one of this romantic classic’s many
attributes. Gene Tierney stars as a young widow whose new home is haunted by a dead sea captain, played by Rex Harrison.
George Sanders and Natalie Wood co-star, with Joseph L. Mankiewicz directing.

The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) – 60th anniversary presentation introduced by Dorothy Herrmann, composer
Bernard Herrman’s daughter
Robert Wise’s sci-fi drama stars Michael Rennie as a visitor from outer space who comes with a warning for the people of
Earth. Patricia Neal co-stars as the woman who helps him. Robert Wise’s pacifist drama has been hailed as one of the genre’s
finest works. Bernard Herrmann’s score features several electronic instruments not commonly used in 1951, including the
eerie-sounding Theremin, which later became a staple of science-fiction films.

Happy Trails: Roy Rogers
The TCM Classic Film Festival will salute Roy Rogers, the “King of the Singing Cowboys,” with five music-filled westerns,
all restored in time for the 100th anniversary of Rogers’ birth. In addition to screenings of My Pal Trigger (1946) and
Trigger, Jr. (1950), Rogers’ daughter, actress Cheryl Rogers-Barnett will be on hand to introduce two other films starring her
father.

Under Western Stars (1938) – Introduced by Cheryl Rogers-Barnett, daughter of Roy Rogers and Dale Evans
Roy Rogers landed his first starring role for Republic Pictures with this tuneful western. The story follows the cowboy as he
seeks election to public office in order to bring water to the ranchers in his district. Songs include “Dust,” “Send My Mail to
the Country Jail,” “Back to the Backwoods,” “Rogers for Congressman” and “When a Cowboy Sings a Song.”

Cowboy and the Senorita (1944) – World premiere of new restoration introduced by Cheryl Rogers-Barnett, daughter
of Roy Rogers and Dale Evans
Roy comes to the rescue when a villain tries to steal a gold mine from the young woman who inherited it from her dead
father. Mary Lee and Rogers’ wife, Dale Evans, co-star. In addition to the title song, the film features such Phil Ohman-Ned
Washington tunes as “The Enchilada Man” and “What’ll I Use for Money?”

Nice Work if You Can Get It: The Film Music of George and Ira Gershwin
Throughout the festival, TCM will celebrate the work of George and Ira Gershwin with a collection of films featuring their
most memorable songs, including the opening-night gala screening of An American in Paris (1951). Woody Allen’s
Manhattan (1979) marks the latest film included in the Gershwin celebration.

Manhattan (1979)
Woody Allen’s slice-of-life valentine to New York features the actor-director-writer alongside Diane Keaton, Michael
Murphy, Mariel Hemingway and Meryl Streep. The gorgeous black-and-white photography is provided by Gordon Willis, all
set to a collection of memorable Gershwin tunes.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

feaito

Post by feaito »

All I can say is WOW! :shock: