Will Rogers flix?

Discussion of programming on TCM.
ziggy 6708

Will Rogers flix?

Post by ziggy 6708 »

Looking forward to all the Will Rogers movies premiering on Tues., 12-28
They're all new to me. Any recomendations on what to record? Or any info on them?
thanks,
the zigster :?
TalkieTime

Re: Will Rogers flix?

Post by TalkieTime »

I'm recording all 10 1/2 hours of the Will Rogers programming. Notice the substitution of Doubting Thomas (1935) for Handy Andy (1934). There is also the ninth Todd/Pitts short, The Old Bull (1932), programmed between A Connecticut Yankee (1931) and Doctor Bull (1933).
"A rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a rose will possess the rose's fragrance." --Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

kingrat wrote:Did anyone else see Doubting Thomas? I saw the last half, and it was hilarious. If you've ever been involved in community theater--or been dragged to see friends and relatives in community theater--it's even funnier. Billie Burke as a stage-struck matron, Alison Skipworth as drama coach Madame Pompanelli, Sterling Holloway as the prompter and stage manager. Will Rogers is the Thomas who doubts that his wife (Burke) and the other locals have what it takes to become stage or screen stars. More laughs than many better-known films.
Yes! I'd seen a poor print of this one some time ago but giggle whenever I think of Will Rogers' under his breath comments and Billie Burke's delicious attempts to portray a vamp on stage, which had me laughing till it hurts. Based on a play called The Torch Bearers by George Kelly (author of Craig's Wife and Grace Kelly's uncle), this was so wonderful. You're so right, King--the episodes of ineptness, pretension and amateurishness that exist in every Little Theater production I've ever seen were perfectly captured.

Oh, before I forget--I thought this was Alison Skipworth's best part ever as the "directress" of the proceedings and Sterling Holloway's Mr. Indespensible made this so much fun. I particularly liked the stage manager and his indifference to everything--though his control of the curtain when Mrs. Pompanelli tried to take a bow seemed so apt.

After seeing Sunnyside Up (1929) recently, part of A Connecticut Yankee (1931), and Doubting Thomas (1935) last night, I really want to know more about director David Butler. I always thought that he was just a '40s director of fun if sometimes forgotten studio fodder like Two Guys from Milwaukee, Shine On Harvest Moon and Thank Your Lucky Stars. His whole career seems to have encompassed every genre! And his camera was so mobile in the early talkie days! The man was an incredible workhorse if you look over his credits.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
klondike

Post by klondike »

Dr. Bull was a hoot, right out the gate, and, I must admit, my first sit-down venture into Will Rogers' presence in cinema.
I was a tad skeptical, having so enjoyed him in print, and on newsreel & radio recordings, but goldang, the old hound really made it stand up & walk!
Not to sound like a posturing Left Coast governor, but - I'll be back [for more]!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Doubting Thomas may be my favorite Alison Skipworth role, and one of Billie Burke's finest moments too. But, of course, the film is almost stolen by my current avatar--Mr. Sterling Holloway.

Look for perennially uncredited Billy Benedict as a caddy too. It's a very funny play written by Grace Kelly's uncle George.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Thanks for the tidbit about the playwright, Moira. I had no idea.

Billie Burke with the film's director, David Butler, and Willie.

"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

What I saw of it last time was very good... I am looking forward to seeing the whole thing this time.