Bad Movies You Love

Discussion of programming on TCM.
MissGoddess

Re: Bad Movies You Love

Post by MissGoddess »

Red if you don't believe blonde ladies star in movies, watch TCM next month (Blondes are the "Stars of the Month"). And so we should be. :P :D
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

How about these Classics?

Zombie Nation (2004)

The Final Sacrifice (1990)

The Wild World of Batwoman (1966)

The Tony Blair Witch Project (2000)

The Pumaman (1980)

Eegah (1962)

Leonard Part 6 (1987)

Santa Claus Conquers the Martians (1964)

It's Pat (1994)

I spent several days creating this list and this my contribution to the Bad Movies You Love.
9 Movies Listed Here.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

RedRiver wrote:Burton was a fine actor. Perenially dark and brooding perhaps. A little showy for some people's tastes. But he had depth and intensity. He committed to the character. He's outstanding in "Virginia Woolf." Good in BECKET. And I like his little part in THE LONGEST DAY. Upon his death, it was said he could have been the great actor of his generation, but chose fast living instead. I have no opinion on that. But I appreciate the work he did.
I am so glad someone else likes RB. I know that Burton is dissed by many as too high falutin,' but the man could be exceptionally good and was reportedly even more extraordinary on stage (after growing up with the cast album on my parents' turntable, he really is the only one I ever want to hear telling me that "once there was a spot called Camelot"). I'd toss in Prince of Players, Night of the Iguana, 1984, and Equus as essential Burton films to see--none are perfect, but he made them sing at moments. And let's not forget one of the most interesting pairings ever: Robert Ryan vs. Richard Burton in Ice Palace (which looked as though it was filmed in Jack L. Warner's swimming pool filled with lots of dry ice). Mongo and I have discussed this a lot over the years, but maybe we are the only people who have seen this...um...interesting Edna Ferber-inspired film about the 49th state? Warner's put out a no frills DVD on demand in 2009, but it is no longer available, dagnabbit. :o
RedRiver wrote:Whatever happened to that HAMLET film? I heard about it vaguely when it came out. Never seen it or been aware of a showing.
I was lucky enough to have a media-saavy nun for English in high school who ran this movie and Olivier's Othello for us. You can see large portions of Burton's Hamlet here on youtube and it is available on DVD here (though maybe a cheaper copy is available somewhere?)
RedRiver wrote:Blonde leading men? Not in The Golden Age! They were all tall and dark. Come to think of it, most of the women were too. Blondes have more fun. But they don't star in movies!

Better not say that when Sonny Tufts is around!! The golden guy below would also like a word with you too. (Come to think of it, maybe Hollywood's underlying attitude was one reason he was never overloaded with self-confidence).
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Nelson Eddy, Gene Raymond, Richard Widmark, Sterling Hayden, Dan Duryea, Dennis O'Keefe, James Dean, Steve McQueen.

I saw a documentary by Trevor Nunn once called To Be Hamlet. It was fabulous, - tremendously entertaining and included a lot of footage from Burton's Hamlet, as well as many other international actors' versions. If you ever see it on TV, RECORD it. it's exceptionally hard to find and costs a ton.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

And jeepers, we forgot Mr. Scott (cue chorus)!

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

La!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I, also, wore out a copy of the CAMELOT soundtrack, in awe of the dramatic poetry spoken by this unforgettable voice. To this day, I haven't seen the movie or any stage production. I don't WANT to see another actor in the role!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Moira...like minds think alike...not that I'm as brilliant or as accomplished as you as a published writer...but I made my big "guilty pleasure" splash about "YOUNGBLOOD HAWKE" over at the TCM site...and I can't WAIT to see this movie again after so many years.

Can't wait to read your review! :)
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I haven't been on for a while, but I just noticed that little mention of Richard Burton and Robert Ryan in Ice Palace. I have been crying about wanting to see that movie for years first around TCM and lately around here, and I'm relieved now to learn from moira and mongo that it is no longer available. Maybe I'll get lucky and find an old copy somewhere on DVD. That movie was chock-full of WB actors and actresses and exactly the kind of generational movie I love. It followed about four generations through the movie. So if anyone knows where to get a copy, please let me know. I'll be happy to eat Ramen noodles for a week to get it.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Anne, if you do a Google search looking for "ice palace (1960) dvd," several secondary market sources come up, including Amazon, ebay and other sources. The prices generally range from $39 for an unused DVD-r to used VHS copies for less than $8. I hope you find one you can enjoy. The link below shows the results of a Google search:

Ice Palace (1960) copies found on Google

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

I've only got one title I've been searching high and low for and haven't even found a seller online for it - A House is Not a Home (1964), starring Shelley Winters. If anyone happens to run across a copy somewhere, or if you hear about it being scheduled on one of the many movie networks, I'd appreciate a heads-up. This one has been impossible to find.

It'd really be cool if TCM made *this* a weekly feature and acquired a host who could maintain the proper balance of light-hearted appreciation for these entertaining classics. As in many instances, John Waters springs to mind, but I'm sure there are others who could do very well. (Hey, my job contract expires in two months. I'm ready, TCM...)
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Mave, you mean that Suzanne's Rage to Live was not considered her finest?
I so identified with it! :oops:

Check out all five installments of the Suzanne Pleshette archive here: [youtube][/youtube]
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

SueSue...you cracked me up! And also made me feel sad. I watched all five installments of SUZANNE PLESHETTE. WoW! Straight-talking, no nonsense, talented lady who had a really successful career. Seems like she always worked...was sought after...well-respected. I am a big fan. Seeing this makes me miss her again.

Now, tell me...tell us more about your 'rage to live.' :D
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

When I first saw Rage to Live, I had absolutely no idea what was going on. One of the original dumb hicks from outta the sticks...

Loved that Pleshette archive. I always enjoyed her stints on the Tonight Show and other talk venues.....think it's so funny she married Tom Poston!
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor