Merchant Ivory films in Sept.?

Discussion of programming on TCM.
ziggy 6708

Merchant Ivory films in Sept.?

Post by ziggy 6708 »

any recommendations on what are 'must see' films to record ? :?
mongoII

Re: Merchant Ivory films in Sept.?

Post by mongoII »

Ziggy, if "Remains of the Day" is scheduled, record it. Anthony Hopkins is superb.
Joseph Goodheart
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I agree about Remains of the Day and Howards End. Both are superb, but for me, Remains of the Day edges out Howard's End by a smidge.

I thought Maurice was good, quite well done. A Room with a View is OK, but only if you haven't read the book first. To me, these two Forster books are much better reading than watching, since some important portions of them take place inside the characters' minds.

A Room with a View gave me what I thought was my first glimpse of Daniel Day Lewis, and for me he stole the picture... although his role was a rather small character part. I had to know who he was, because he added immeasurably to the film. It turns out he had caught my eye in The Bounty and My Beautiful Laundrette long before, but I failed to recognize him because I didn't know his name, his characters were so very different.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I suggest we conduct this on a week by week basis, as I simply don't have the time to pour through the entire listing right now. The only film I am familiar with from Thursday's showings is Renoir's The River (1951), which I highly recommend. The others look promising however, and I will be recording all night.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I'll join those who recommend the well known entries. THE REMAINS OF THE DAY may be my favorite. A ROOM WITH A VIEW may be my least. But, along with HOWARD'S END, these are fine, thoughtful dramas. Stories about people, not actions. This is stuff we don't see evey day, and I commend the artist who works to give it to us.
ziggy 6708

Post by ziggy 6708 »

Any reccomendations?? :?:
Europeans, The (1979)
A New England household is upset by the arrival of two cousins from Europe.
Dir: James Ivory Cast: Lee Remick , Robin Ellis , Wesley Addy .
C-91 mins, Letterbox Format

9:45 PM Bostonians, The (1984)
A bored lawyer and a suffragette vie for the attentions of a faith healer's charismatic daughter.
Dir: James Ivory Cast: Christopher Reeve , Vanessa Redgrave , Madeleine Potter .
C-122 mins,

12:00 AM Roseland (1977)
Three stories set in the famed dance hall center on the search for a perfect partner in dancing and life.
Dir: James Ivory Cast: Teresa Wright , Lou Jacobi , Don Denatale .
C-104 mins, Letterbox Format

2:00 AM Quartet (1981)
When her husband's arrest leaves her penniless, a woman accepts an invitation to move in with a strange couple.
Dir: James Ivory Cast: Isabelle Adjani , Anthony Higgins , Maggie Smith .
C-101 mins, TV-MA, Letterbox Format

4:00 AM Savages (1972)
Primitive mud people move into a Long Island estate and transform into social lions.
Dir: James Ivory Cast: Susie Blakely , Margaret Brewster , Thayer David .
C-106 mins, TV-MA,
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

Kind of last minute, but anyone interested in seeing Christopher Walken ballroom dancing (now, don't laugh) can check out ROSELAND (1977) tonight. I only saw this once before, and thought Chris and the ballroom scene depicted here was pretty spot on, even though it was during those crazy Hustle days (remember those?) Geraldine Chaplin plays his clinging dance partner. I did not realize that this was directed by James Ivory.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

ROSELAND sounded good from the intro. I had to get to bed (as opposed to passing out in front of the TV) and couldn't watch it. It sounds like something I'd like.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Jezebel38 wrote:Kind of last minute, but anyone interested in seeing Christopher Walken ballroom dancing (now, don't laugh) can check out ROSELAND (1977) tonight. I only saw this once before, and thought Chris and the ballroom scene depicted here was pretty spot on, even though it was during those crazy Hustle days (remember those?) Geraldine Chaplin plays his clinging dance partner. I did not realize that this was directed by James Ivory.
I love this movie, just forgot to plug it. Like Walken (one of my favorite actors), Roseland is criminally underrated. This was also Teresa Wright's last film if memory serves.
ziggy 6708

Post by ziggy 6708 »

Anyone catch "Savages" ? Yikes!
I get what they were trying for, but :roll:
http://www.merchantivory.com/savages.html
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I haven't read that one, I'll have to get it! I really like Forster's other books.