The Long Grey Line

Discussion of programming on TCM.
mrsl

The Long Grey Line

Post by mrsl »

I can't believe how extensively this movie was passed over by the academy when it came time for nominations. Not only did Tyrone Power get robbed, mugged, and beaten up by not winning as Best Actor for The Long Grey Line, but not even being nominated was unforgivable. Not only Tyrone, but Maureen O'Hara also turned in a powerful performance as the immigrant girl brought over by the Colonel and his wife. She didn't say one word for the first 20 minutes she was on screen, but she didn't have to; her acting ability gave us all the information we needed. Other beauties like Rita Hayworth and Kim Novak later, could have used a lot of lessons from Miss O'Hara. Obviously this is one of those movies that when I happen on it, no matter in the beginning or end, I have to sit down and watch until the end, no matter how many times I've seen it. It's one of those that gives you something new each time you see it. Today, as in The Searchers, when Martha got Ethans coat and handled it so lovingly, I never before noticed how near the end of . . . Grey Line, when all the boys drop in for Christmas, including Betsy Palmer, when she grabs the crocheted shawl to cover Marty, she hesitates and gives a quick thought to Mary (Maureen), in the same way as Martha. But that split second tells so much - the true friendship and love the two women shared, with no stupid inferences applied. As Maureen shared her family with Betsy, Betsy shared her son with Maureen.

I know it's been on before, but does anyone else hold the fondness that I do for The Long Grey Line?
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
mrsl

Re: The Long Grey Line

Post by mrsl »

I also meant to mention Donald Crisp, who did a formidable job as the definitive 'Man of the House'. But then, just about everything Mr. Crisp did was worthy of awards. This movie, however, was filled with soon to be well known names, and I loved the way they threw in names of real heroes and other folks who should always be remembered.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

It's a super movie Anne, one that gets better and better with each viewing, I find more in it each time. I love that touch with the shawl.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

It's one of favorites too. :)
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Something I posted in the John Ford thread a few years ago.

"I watched "The Long Gray Line" yesterday. Though I have seen it before I was struck this time by Power's performance. Throwing out the fact that he was too old for the first half of the movie he was quite engaging. I've seen some other pictures of his but don't recall him having such flair. The rest of the cast is fine and mostly full of familiar Ford faces.

"There isn't much of a story per se but it is a love story. The love between and man and woman and a man and his career. Secondly, it is a film about a community. Few directors, I think, make these kind as well as Ford. Touches of "How Green Was My Valley" and "The Quiet Man" run through and made all the more so by having Donald Crisp play Power's father. Though "Da" is invited to live with them it isn't long before he takes on his role as FATHER in the house. He barks commands as though he were still in his own home. Time marches on so there is kind of a vignette feel to the movie as it takes, at times, big time gaps to get through Power's life. There is an authentic feel to the fashions of the day and they progress well through time.

"Ford even offers his own little lecture on tradition near the end of the film. That is so much about what not only West Point is about but also what he is about. He takes great pains to show that in the way the cadets work with each other and how they respect their oath. Ford uses the grounds to good effect here to bolster that point.

"A pleasant film. Maybe a tad long but I found it worth watching. Lots of Irish heritage to celebrate but no deep drama or message just a man's life and that life dedicated to the academy."
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Lovely description, Chris. Nothing happens, just a man's life going by, and not even very gloriously. But tremendously worthwhile that life is.
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

When I was in junior high school, students who had perfect attendance for each semester were shown a movie in the cafeteria or gymnasium. Most of the movies were aimed at kids just entering their teens - like Jerry Lewis movies or Haley Mills movies. Fortunately, someone decided on showing The Long Grey Line one semester. This was the first time I saw this film and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was like they were treating us like we could understand and enjoy something more focused on adults. I only missed one of the movies from the six semesters I spent in Junior High, but this one sticks in my memory the best and I always try to watch it whenever it comes on.

The other four by order of enjoyment were Captains Courageous, Pollyanna, The Sad Sack and The Delicate Deliquent.
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That's so cool, CharlieT! I wish I'd gone to your school.