Overwrought writing

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Ayres

Overwrought writing

Post by Ayres »

I was always hesitant to mention this on the TCM forum, as I didn’t want to offend any of the network’s employees (or endanger some slim chance of future employment), in case they might be lurking there. And then there's the fact that Mama said, "If you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all."

But does anyone else find some of the promo writings on TCM a bit much? A good example would be the latest one, on the Celluloid Skylines promo. I still need to grab a pad and write down some examples of what I am talking about, but there is this nonsensical, wordy, pseudo-poetic quality to many of the TCM promos and descriptions within the monthly news segments. It’s the kind of writing that I know would make many of my English teachers and professors wince; stuff like

A cloudy day of celluloid skylines
Wrapped in memory and shrouded in mystery...
A quick glance
And a silver alleyway...

That sort of thing (I made that one up). Does this bug anyone else?

They are usually narrated by the same female announcer, and I often wonder whether she is the author of these little set pieces of overblown imagery...
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Ayres,

I have noticed some of these 'intro's, promo's' and wonder why can't we all just talk plain English!!!!

I call this kind of talking and writing "overly ambiguous and pretentious claptrap"... Who're we trying to impress?

I say, "Let's all start out our autobiographies and novels with 'It was a dark and stormy night'!!"... At least we know where we are!!

Larry
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I've thought they could do with less narration and let the picture tell the story. (That line sounds familiar.) After a minute of skyline shots they could just do the tag. The End. There's a fine line between being clever and silly.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I definitely see what you guys mean about those "poetic" promos, but I chalk it up as TCM's attempt to keep an easily distracted audience from turning the channel during the spots between features.

I think the poetic bit worked best when TCM used actual poetry such as D.H. Lawrence's "When I Went to the Film", read by Jeremy Irons and "Being But Men" by Dylan Thomas to highlight some spots. Since I usually hit the mute button after seeing such oft-repeated spots as these and the pretty ubiquitous TCM Monthly Entertainment Updates, I've come to appreciate the graphic design, beautiful editing and overall "look" of TCM's productions more over time. I realize that a lot of this is the work of subcontracted advertising agencies, but it is really beautifully done--most, if not all, of the time.

Just put down that plumed pen, o bards of techwood drive.
sugarpuss

Post by sugarpuss »

I agree with you on this. In my creative writing classes in college, I used to write stuff like this just to sound impressive and get good grades. It worked (pretentiousness works in college quite well). Half of the times I used to roll my eyes at the nonsense I spewed out while the other half, I didn't even know what I was saying. Whenever I see the Celluloid Skyline promos, I usually change the channel. For some reason, the pretentiousness bores me. I'm not sure why, but think TCM is trying to hit the upper class, highbrow (read: boring) late-20's/early 30's market with their promos lately. And for some reason, the voice of the woman who reads the "Movie News" segment gets on my nerves.

I'm not even a big fan of the "Screened Out" promo either. They make the whole thing seem kind of seedy, IMO.

You know what I really miss? The monthly "video" montages TCM--the last time they showed one was in December for Gary Cooper/Christmas. I looked forward to those! And now they just show separate promos for each special event. Bah.
"Some of the best parts of life are frivolous." - Arthur Kennedy in A Summer Place
-----
The Roadshow Version: A Modern Take on Classic Movies
Ayres

Post by Ayres »

Thanks for the validation, kids. As Ninotchka would say, after "being punished:"

"I feel better!"
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

I think it works just fine, if you don't look at it as overwrought writing for its own sake, but rather as a tribute to D.W. Griffith.