Randolph Scott - Star of the Day

Discussion of programming on TCM.
mrsl

Randolph Scott - Star of the Day

Post by mrsl »

Needless to say, I was in Western Heaven for 24 hours yesterday. I watched TCM straight for hours, something I haven't done in many months. I even watched the movies I have on DVR and my own DVD collection of westerns. Ir drives me nuts that Randy's movies are all full price. It's nearly impossible to get his movies for any less than the full price of from $14.99 to $19.99, and that's crazy when you can get so many other stars for $5.00 in their biggest movies e.g. I bought The Searchers directors special for $7.50, and my all time favorite war movie The Enemy Below, with Bob Mitchum, including additions for $5.00. But Randy, whom very few people still remember is full price - - - Why?

Anyway, the day started at 5:00a.m. and I'm so glad I remembered seeing the ad so I set my DVR to record, I missed the first movie, but I watched everything from Trail Street to The Caribou Trail. The man is great. Most of his roles are very similar but he manages to put some kind of new shininess to each performance. Sometimes he's looking for the killers of his wife and family, sometimes he's looking for other women who have been captured either by Indians or other outlaws, but he's always trying to help some woman or other underdog. He also looks great as a military man whether in Western garb or 1940's uniforms. Seriously, I've seen all of these movies a minimum of once, but most of them at least 4 or 5 times, and have them on DVD. There's something about the Scott/Boetticher collection that always seems new and fresh, much like the James Stewart films. Yesterday I realized for the first time he and his buddy (I refuse to consider them gay), Cary Grant, worked together in My Favorite Wife, and I also realized why they didn't seem to hate each other as one would expect, but I guess their friendship came through.

I realize after some of the great names that have been chosen this year, that I may sound silly going on about a basically "B" Western actor, but until you've seen the variables of the man you can't really appreciate him. Similar to Elvis who fell into the maze of formula movies - Elvis was always the good time boy, whereas Randy was able to make you feel as if you were watching something new each time.

Did the day may any of the rest of you come to appreciate him?.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
JackFavell

Re: Randolph Scott - Star of the Day

Post by JackFavell »

I loved talking to CineMaven and a few others while we watched yesterday, it was fun.

I liked Ride Lonesome the best of the ones I watched this time. I never really did like this movie before, in fact, I never could get through it until now. Karen Steele always annoyed me, but she wasn't bad this time through for some reason. :D I thought that Budd Boetticher used light and dark especially well in this movie, it definitely had the most clearcut, simple but effective mise-en-scene of any of the Boettichers I've seen. One scene was so beautiful, with the sandy white desert in the background and a big grey rock in the foreground, and in front of the rock an ominous grey shadowy area that gave a sense of foreboding. The contrast between day and night time in this film was very strong, with the nighttime scenes adding a dimension of fear and suspense, the threat of attack being greater and characters changing allegiances at night.

I really liked the easygoing Pernell Roberts, his big deep voice and boyish manner, but truly, Scott was absolutely great, especially in the scenes involving the hanging tree. If you watch him closely, you realize that there is a lot going on under the surface. Once you recognize that, you get hooked on his films.

Shoot Out at Medicine Bend
was my second favorite - it was a two-fer with Jim Garner as one of Scott's army buddies. This one had to be the most fun of Scott's movies, and the acting was aces all the way around. I liked both the women, and Scott and James Craig's final battle was really intense! I enjoyed every minute of it.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I just caught bits of the Scott movies (I've seen them all), and it's fun to just listen to the dialogue...all very similar in tone from film to film and to count all the "Lanes" (my surname) that show up. :D

Great observations, kingrat, about Boetticher's use of the camera.

P.S. Nice avatar, Miss F. It's our home-town boy. :wink:
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thanks for the compliment on my avatar! I got that lovely picture of Mr. Bumgarner from that pinterest collage you posted about over at FB. He is so cute, and his daughter's even cuter! I just loved this photo! Yesterday's movie, which came out right before he went into Maverick, showed how talented he was already. I forgot how much I like him. I guess all those times sitting through The Caine Mutiny really paid off, they made him such a natural actor.

kingrat, I don't know why I never liked Ride Lonesome before, I think it was the emphasis at the beginning of the film on Karen Steele's..... um..... how shall I say this? equipage that made me stop watching every time it was on. :D This time through, I was able to concentrate on other things, like how little Scott says, and how much Pernell Roberts says. Or the beautiful scene where the indian comes riding out of the desert and throws his spear into the ground, and rides rings around it. Very similar to another great scene in a Ford western, but BB made it his own, didn't copy.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I think it was the emphasis at the beginning of the film on Karen Steele's..... um..... how shall I say this? equipage that made me stop watching every time it was on. :D

So, is that French for "equipment"? She would be a distraction for any guy but especially cowboys who have been away for awhile. (At times I thought her clothes fit a little too well in some of her westerns.)
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Yeah, it means equipment. :D I can't imagine she was really built that way, it looked like there was a hydraulic lift built into her clothing. That and the platinum blonde hair made it hard for me suspend my disbelief to the old west. But this time, I must have been inured to Karen's fifties style rocket bra because I got right into the story.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

JackFavell wrote:Yeah, it means equipment. :D I can't imagine she was really built that way, it looked like there was a hydraulic lift built into her clothing. That and the platinum blonde hair made it hard for me suspend my disbelief to the old west. But this time, I must have been inured to Karen's fifties style rocket bra because I got right into the story.
i can't remember what movie it was, but i saw karen steele as a brunette once and she was stunning.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Bruentte huh? I bet she was beautiful. She is a pretty blonde, but for me it just didn't work in this movie.

I felt like after all the ragging I did on her, I owed her a chance, and she did rise up in my estimation this time.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I enjoyed the conversation on FaceBook during Randolph Scott's day on TCM as well. See, it's the back and forth dialogue that really engages me. I wish we could all do more of that. As for the "equipment" of Karen Steele:

I thought she was anachronistically appropriate in "Ride Lonesome." Heck, when she came out with the rifle I was sold.

...And I see Oklahoma's getting a nice avatarish shout - out! Yahooo! ( Well, what the heck do they say in Oklahoma. Oh wow, I just heard in my mind's voice how Cecil Cunningham says: 'Oklahoma' in "THE AWFUL TRUTH" a film TCM should consider for next year's festival. )
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Yee-haa!

I feel the same way, Maven, I love the back and forthing kind of conversation we had the other day.

And our Okie boy looks mighty fine, I think that's his little girl Gigi.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

What a picture. If you're gonna point those guns, use them!
intothenitrate

Post by intothenitrate »

I didn't catch the Scott westerns, but I recently watched him as the male lead in Merian C. Cooper's She from 1935. At first glance, one might lump him together with the "wooden" leading men of the period. Actually he's a lot more winning than that. He's got a beautiful nature that comes through a decidedly underplayed performance.
"Immorality may be fun, but it isn't fun enough to take the place of one hundred percent virtue and three square meals a day."
Goodnight Basington
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

What's this Facebook stuff you guys are talking about? I didn't know there was a group from SSO on FB. I'm not big on facebook because it confuses me, but I can keep up with the chat rooms of my personal friends and family. Where do I look to get on the SSO group, or is it a private group?
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

mrsl wrote:.
What's this Facebook stuff you guys are talking about?
The Silver Screen Oasis Facebook Page is an open group. We've been around for quite awhile. You can see the group and postings at the link below. You would be welcome to join the group if you would like, Anne. A person needs to be a registered Facebook member and to be logged in there to see the page. When we have technical issues here it is one more spot where we can stay in touch. Here's a link:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/340453499360600/
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks