Randolph Scott - Star of the Day

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Western Guy

Re: Randolph Scott - Star of the Day

Post by Western Guy »

Very much enjoyed the Randolph Scott Westerns which were part of TCM's Summer Under the Stars. Scott didn't show a lot of range in most of these oaters but, as with George Raft, he definitely had an undeniable presence. One thing that came to mind was that, outside of Scott's final film RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY, he never really appeared in a Western that could be considered a "classic" and his "defining" role (might be some disagreement here).

I'm thinking about:

John Wayne and STAGECOACH
Henry Fonda and THE OX BOW INCIDENT
Jimmy Stewart and WINCHESTER '73
Gary Cooper and HIGH NOON
Alan Ladd and SHANE
. . . possibly even Gregory Peck and THE GUNFIGHTER.

In that respect, Scott is a little like Audie Murphy and his contemporary Joel McCrea. That aside, I find Scott's oaters entertaining (as I do Murphy's and McCrea's) and that's what counts.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That's an interesting thought, WG. No I can't think of any particular film that is a defining one for Scott, though I have some favorites. Perhaps Seven Men From Now? But really, that's a reach, since there are so many good films to his credit.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

"Seven Men" came to mind for me too, Wendy. It doesn't necessarily define his persona any more than the others. But if there's one Scott western that stands above the rest, that's the one!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Yes, that's exactly how I felt too, Red. You put that perfectly... it's no more defining than any other, but it is one of the best.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

No guys, for me it's Ride Lonesome - One very determined man with two goals in mind. 1.) Get the lady to safety, and 2.) Revenge his wife's utterly unforgivable death. I'm sure originally he planned to revenge his wife, but also to get the reward for James Best, but that all changed as his circumstances did and he grew to like and respect Pernell Roberts mainly for the way he watched over Coburn. But I still agree it is not a signature performance. Although all very similar, his films, when truly viewed more than once as I have done, you find each performance is distinct and original with it's own merit, however, I'm sure if one of any of the films had caught on as Stagecoach did, THAT would have been his signature role. Stagecoach, as much as I love it and the Duke, was given to JW by Ford mainly to shut JW up about wanting a starring role in a near-A movie. If Ford had expected it to be a hit, he would have put more into it such as his typical music, his capture of desert scenery, and his back stories, not to mention making it have a longer running time.

I am kind of glad Randy didn't get into A stream movies because then he would have stopped making these purely for entertainment movies, just long enough to tell a good story but short enough to keep you interested until the end.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Thanks for the input, guys. Actually if I had to pick one film that was Scott`s `defining`, as it were, role (after RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY), it probably would be SEVEN MEN FROM NOW -- but followed closely by RIDE LONESOME. Maybe no classic character like The Ringo Kid, Jimmy Ringo, Shane or Will Kane. But the overall body of Scott`s Westerns stands for itself. And they are darned entertaining. He`s a fave.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

When my brother and I were young, my mom would scan the TV listings. If a Randolph Scott movie was shown on a Saturday night, she'd make sure to turn it on. She knew we (and my father) would enjoy a good cowboy show! She'd make late night treats at a time when we (not my father) could stand to put on a few pounds. These were some of the best times of my life!
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Over the past several years Westerns have become my comfort food. I find nothing more satisfying than watching a good oater - and if it's got Randy Scott or Audie Murphy or Duke, Jimmy, Joel, Hank, Ben, or any of those fellas, so much the better.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Over the past several years Westerns have become my comfort food

Why does this not surprise me?
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Kind of a give away, huh?
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

That's like me saying I'm a fan of a certain Howard Hawks western. No. Really?
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

You're right, R.R. Reckon neither of us would make very good outlaws. We're a little too obvious. :?