Funday

Discussion of programming on TCM.
mrsl

Funday

Post by mrsl »

Hi there;

It's ol' lonesome me all alone as happens so often here on SSO, while several members are over on TCM. Why they continue to support the TCM site, I cannot understand, but to each his own.

Regarding Funday, I really don't think Bringing Up Baby is a movie that any healthy, normal kids are going to stay indoors on a lovely Sunday evening to watch. It's funny for us adults, but most of the jokes are over kids heads, at least I should hope they are, except for the visual ones of course.

Cinemalover: I would love to hear whether Tina and Jerry would stay around to watch it under the conditions I just described. I know you watch all kinds of movies with the kids, but that is on a Friday night, no school tomorrow, and summer hours. Are you encouraging them to watch Funday?

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
sugarpuss

Post by sugarpuss »

I'm not exactly the target audience for Funday night, but to be honest, I'm not a huge fan of Bringing Up Baby to begin with. I've seen it twice and I've never warmed to the story. For kids? Um, no.

To be honest, I think about when I was a kid and classic movies weren't on the top of the list of "Things I really want to watch". I wanted go outside, play with my friends on my swingset, on the front lawn or read (actually, I prefered the latter. Kids used to be in our yard and I would be off to the side with my nose in a book. Drove my poor mother nuts.) Later on in life, I couldn't tear myself away from the Nintendo. The movies I liked to watch when I was a kid were things on the Disney channel or the Muppet ones (those would be great to show for Funday night. Yes, they're aimed at kids, but they usually have a great family vibe to them. Who doesn't like the Muppets?) Of course, I also liked Annie and Arthur, but I never thought Carol Burnett and Dudley Moore were alcoholics--I just thought they were funny. Flew right over my head!

Some of the selections in the Funday Night series puzzle me. Maybe it's just me, but I don't know any kid who would want to sit around and watch Sounder next week either. There are just too many other things for kids to watch and do in the summertime. I know in August they're showing Mr. Smith Goes to Washington and let me tell you, the last thing I wanted to watch when I was a kid was a movie about government. I wanted to get away from stuff like that!

It's a good idea, but you really would need more kid-centric movies than some of the ones TCM chose to show. Wizard of Oz is always good, as is Singin' in the Rain. But some of the selections make me scratch my head.
"Some of the best parts of life are frivolous." - Arthur Kennedy in A Summer Place
-----
The Roadshow Version: A Modern Take on Classic Movies
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

At first I thought this was a great idea, but I do now think that the choice of films is a little odd, especially given the promos and the host and all. Really, TCM has scores of kid-friendly movies, and has already aired them for us non-kids.

I don't get what they are thinking, and I heartily agree about Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - I can't think of a more effective turn-off for kids that that particular talkfest. Is it because it has kids in it that TCM thinks other kids will want to watch it? There have got to be much better dramas for kids than that one. I suppose TCM is trying to show young people that a movie doesn't have to be a comedy or a fantasy to be of interest to them, but I'm wondering who their test audience was.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I think we may be having trouble with the definition of kid. No, not everyone between age 3 and 13 will sit still for "Bringing Up Baby," but some will respond to the silliness, just as some will find "Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein" too scary.

Just this morning, I watched "The Good Fairy" which was written by Preston Sturges with my son and daughter, ages 11 and 14. My daughter liked it throughout. My son thought the "Go!" scene was hysterically funny, got bored with the convolutions of the romantic comedy plot and went outside for a bit, but then came back when he heard my daughter and me laughing and finished up watching the movie with us. They were both glad they watched it, my daughter more than my son. She is more of a screwball comedy fan than he is (he gave up on "Libled Lady" entirely, but she likes that and "Thin Man"), so even among siblings you will have a different response to a movie.

But it isn't worth throwin up one's hands and saying the younger generation is unreachable. basically, if they see you enjoying the movie, they will enjoy it (or give it an honest try) as well.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

True, there's no reason why young people should not be exposed to these films, even if they do need a few breaks. When I was little, my mother took me to the movies with her, and certainly a good two-thirds of what I saw went right over my head, but it stayed with me, somewhere, and I remembered things and went back to look at them again as I got older. There's certainly nothing in any of these movies that would be cause for alarm anyway. However, I still think Mr. Smith is going to loose the attention of a lot of the youngsters, especially the filibuster scene. Depends on their ages and what they've learned about government and politics, I suppose.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

First off let me say that you can't throw every kid into a pool and expect them to swim, some you have to lead slowly. By this I mean, most kids dislike B&W, so I think getting them into older films should include color, after they've accepted the older actors, then you can introduce them to the B&W.

I'm showing the original list of movies chosen for Funday:

** Abbot & Costello Meet Frankenstein
Bringing Up Baby
Little Women (1938) **Little Women ('49)
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
** Oliver
Pride of the Yankees
Shane
Singing in the Rain
Sounder
** Adventures of Robin Hood
** Wizard of Oz
** Treasure Island
** 20K Under the Sea.

The double Asterisks are what I deem good childrens' movies.

My idea of replacements are:

All Mine to Give
The Yearling
Lassie (any version)
Flipper
Milo & Otis
Free Willie (all night long to show all 3 of them)

My thinking is this - Several of these movies are based on classic novels. A child is never too young to be introduced to the classics. By showing the movies I've listed, with Abbot & Costello at the end (B&W), they have had introductions to music, drama, comedy, life and death experiences, and friendship, between people, people & animals, and animals to animals.

Throw out the B&Ws', Singing in the Rain is a love story, Shane ehhh, not for kids (5 to 10), No kid nowadays knows who the heck Lou Gehrig is, unless they have a great-grandfather around who's still telling stories. He was 'way before my time, even Sandy Kofax and Mickey Mantle are too long in the past. The parts I've seen of Sounder don't seem amenable to kids (don't know for sure though). For a kid to stay with a movie, he has to be grabbed from the first 15 minutes. My munchkin said she liked the movie last week but not the 'brown' parts, only the pretty parts. It took a few minutes to figure out she meant Wizard of Oz. If you recall the beginning and end are in sepia, not B&W.

She has sat and watched quite a few with me, even the stuck-up 13 year old sat through some of them, but only because something happens right away. Mr. Stuck-up swears the TV is going to disintegrate from B&W movies. It may sound funny, but we have raised our kids with certain standards, and those standards must be met to interest them, and with the myriad of entertainment opportunities they have, sitting and watching an 'old' movie is not Number 1 on their list.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

My mother took me to see the 1949 version of Little Women when I was 9 years old. It was a showing at the Cleveland Museum of Art. I LOVED it! Maybe boys would be bored, but I think that most girls would love either version.

Maybe I was a weird kid, but I liked stuff like Bringing Up Baby and Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.

I would also watch anything with Judy Garland, Margaret O'Brien, Mickey Rooney, or Shirley Temple.

I showed some of my home-schooled students the "Make 'em Laugh" number and the title number from [/b]Singin' in the Rain and they loved them. They actually asked to watch it again. I think that kids will respond to the musical numbers and silliness of the film.

I agree that the Lassie films would be good for the series. Also, National Velvet.

Kids, like adults, have individual tastes. Some will enjoy the musicals, some will prefer the sports themed films, etc. I think that the Funday showcase is a great way to get kids watching classic movies. Ya gotta start somewhere.

Sandy K