The January 2014 Schedule for TCM

Discussion of programming on TCM.
JackFavell

Re: The January 2014 Schedule for TCM

Post by JackFavell »

OK I'm going to jump up on that lonely mountaintop and say that I am excited for the Dane Clark film festival tonight, Wednesday January 8th, 2014.

I actually do like Clark. I first saw him as a guest star on pretty much every cop or drama show in the seventies and I really thought he was a good actor when I was a kid. Then I started going back and found he was in classic films. His performances vary widely, but when he's good he's good. I'm looking forward to recording some of his movies that I haven't seen.

Thursday morning the 9th there are some really early films showing, starting with The Floradora Girls which I've been wanting to see for years and years, since finding a photo of it in one of my movie books. I am just happy to see these little known films! There's even a Ricardo Cortez film, The Firebird, another I have only seen flashy photos from.

I see now that it is a tribute to Anita Louise, and the other film that grabs my attention is Green Light, directed by Frank Borzage, which I've never seen before.

Hope you will give some of these a try.
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

I'm intrigued by the Dane Clark and Anita Louise films, too. The problem is that my dvr is filling up with Joan Crawford films this month!

Sandy K
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Sandy,

I know! I am suddenly recording a bunch of stuff again! Hope I can get copies of what I want without drowning my poor recorder.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

If you like Dane Clark - or even if you don't - be sure to catch GUNMAN IN THE STREETS. Marvelous unheralded film noir.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Ooops. I just posted about this in the Dane Clark thread. :shock: Sorry, but then...can we ever have enough of Dane Clark?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Well at least someone else likes him besides me! I thought everyone here hated him, John Garfield lite. :D

I watched part of Gunman in the Streets last night, but fell asleep after taking a migraine pill which kbock me out. I'll have to wait to watch the rest because I'm still recording Anita Louise. I'll admit I had my eye on Signoret more than Clark though, she is an actress who fascinates me always.

Floradora Girl turned out to be quite charming, lovely. Short, snappy and sweet and not nearly as dated as some of the other early thirties musical comedies. The plot was your basic poor girl/rich boy one with Marion Davies as the stage girl wooed by the man about town, but somehow this added to the charm of the film, it didn't take itself too seriously. Davies was extremely good here, very light and likeable, not trying too hard to win us over. The set up of the film was very well done, pointing up all the gay nineties stuff you would expect and laughing at it just a little, not making too much fun, but with humor all the same. The only thing that would have made it better for me was if Raoul Walsh had directed it, he had such a feel for that time period.

Harry Beaumont did an admirable job and has some really good solid movies to his credit. Now that I'm becoming familiar with his work, I like Beaumont very much. Some of his credits include some of the snappier entries in the Maisie series, the earlier version of When Ladies Meet, Faithless, the early Enchanted April, Laughing Sinners and Dance Fool Dance, Our Dancing Daughters, and Beau Brummel with John Barrymore. I'd love to see his 1920's versions of Babbitt and Main Street, but I suspect they are lost films since there is no discussion or reviews that I can find.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

January 16th 2014
On TCM

7:45 AM PST 10:45 EST
Wine, Women And Horses (1937)
Dir: Louis King Cast: Barton MacLane , Ann Sheridan , Dick Purcell.

9:00 AM PST Noon EST
Story Of Seabiscuit, The (1949)
Dir: David Butler Cast: Shirley Temple , Barry Fitzgerald , Lon McCallister.

10:45 AM PST 1:45 EST
Pride of the Bluegrass (1939)
Dir: William McGann Cast: Edith Fellows , James McCallion , Gantry The Blind Horse.

Three outstanding Horses Related Movies on Turner Classic Movies ...
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

GASLIGHT is on Tomorrow Night on TCM check your time - its starred CHARLES BOYER and INGRID BERGMAN as a part of INGRID BERGMAN Night on TCM. I will be watching it for sure. :)
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

TCM salutes that soulful-looking, raven-haired beauty KAY FRANCIS with a slew of films for her birthday today.

( I think she looks like a grown-up Margaret O'Brien )

Last week at the George Cukor film retrospective Lincoln Center just finished, I saw Kay Francis in Cukor's 1930 film "THE VIRTUOUS SIN." She stars with Walter Huston, and you know if you're working with him, you've got to bring your best. She does. Taking place in Russia, it's the story of a woman who marries a young scientist, not out of love but out of friendship. While in the military, he is imprisoned by his general ( Walter Huston ) for insubordination and sentenced to the firing squad. Wife Francis, has to find a way to plead her husband's case with the hardened general. Well we all know the 'second' quickest way to a man's heart ( my momma done told me... ) and Francis takes that route...as the coquette. Totally ill-equipped on that score, she gets help from a Madam whose house all the soldiers ( including the General ) visits, and sets her sights on Huston. He falls for her. The only thing Francis doesn't anticipate is that she fooled around and fell in love herself. It was an interesting conundrum to see play out. Francis still has to reveal who she really is ( how will Huston take it, 'cuz he's head over heels for her. ) She's in love for the first time and doesn't want to lose him. Worse still, how will her husband take it when he finds out what she resorted to doing to get his freedom. Kay Francis does a very good job in the film. Naaaaah, I didn't buy her ( or any of them ) as Russian. But she looked good doing it.

I also realized that Walter Huston is now one of my most favorite actors because I had forgotten he was in the movie and when I saw his name come up when the credits opened, I felt very happy to see him.

Today's Capricorn fare includes:

6:00 AM - STREET OF WOMEN (1932)

A property developer is torn between his wife and his mistress. Dir: Archie Mayo. Cast: Kay Francis, Roland Young, Alan Dinehart. 59 mins.

7:15 AM - ANOTHER DAWN (1937)

An officer's wife at a British outpost in Africa falls for another man. Dir: William Dieterle. Cast: Kay Francis, Errol Flynn, Ian Hunter. 73 mins.

8:30 AM - STOLEN HOLIDAY (1937)

A Paris fashion model marries a fortune hunter to protect him from the law.
Dir: Michael Curtiz. Cast: Kay Francis, Claude Rains, Ian Hunter. 80 mins.

10:00 AM - SECRETS OF AN ACTRESS (1938)

A leading lady falls for a married architect who's invested in her play. Dir: William Keighley. Cast: Kay Francis, George Brent, Ian Hunter. 70 mins.

11:15 AM - WOMEN ARE LIKE THAT (1938)

Years after their break-up, a couple finds each other all over again. Dir: Stanley Logan. Cast: Kay Francis, Pat O'Brien, Ralph Forbes. 79 mins.

12:45 PM - WOMEN IN THE WIND (1939)

Personal conflicts flare between competitors in a women's air race. Dir: John Farrow. Cast: Kay Francis, William Gargan, Victor Jory. 63 mins.

2:00 PM - IT'S A DATE (1940)

Mother-and-daughter singers vie for the same man and the same stage part. Dir: William A. Seiter. Cast: Deanna Durbin, Kay Francis, Walter Pidgeon. 104 mins.

3:45 PM - PLAY GIRL (1940)

An aging gold digger takes a young woman under her wing. Dir: Frank Woodruff. Cast: Kay Francis, James Ellison, Mildred Coles. 77 mins.

5:15 PM - ALLOTMENT WIVES (1945)

Unscrupulous women marry servicemen for their pay. Dir: William Nigh. Cast: Kay Francis, Paul Kelly, Otto Kruger. 78 mins.

6:45 PM - DIVORCE (1945)

A frequently divorced woman sets her sights on a happily married man. Dir: William Nigh. Cast: Kay Francis, Bruce Cabot, Helen Mack. 70 mins.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I watched Anastasia and Gaslight yesterday and everyone here knows about these two outstanding Ingrid Bergman films and it was a treat watching GASLIGHT with her playing along one of my favorite male actors CHARLES BOYER. These two never failed to entertain me and It was a joy watching for the 3rd, 4th, or 5th time in my life. I just loved these films. :)
norfious

Post by norfious »

(I know I keep disappearing from these forums, then coming back. I apologize for my flakiness!)

Aww, I am bummed that I missed all the Kay Francis movies on Monday. I have only seen a few of her films, but I would like to know more about the glamor queen of the pre-codes!

I am even more upset that I missed The Last of Mrs. Cheyney and A Lady For A Day. The former I have seen once a while ago and very much enjoyed it. The latter I've been wanting to see for a while. For some reason I am intrigued by the characters Warren Williams plays. Usually the greasy cad-like character, he appeared to be more of the hero in this title, which would be fun to see.

I did get a chance to see (most of) Strike Me Pink the other day. I am not an Eddie Cantor fan, but it was so surprising and pleasant to see a very young and very pretty Ethel Merman in the cast! I had no idea she was in pictures in the 30's. I wonder how many she made back then?

Today I am excited for Talk of the Town later this evening. I haven't seen it in years, but I recall it being a fun romp, and interesting commentary on the justice system. Plus, Mr. Ronald Colman is in it, so how could it go wrong?
Last edited by norfious on January 15th, 2014, 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
_Broadway_ from the TCM forums.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Nice to see you back.

I've always enjoyed "The Talk Of The Town." Among the three most distinctive voices in movies all together.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Susan and God ... Movie is on tomorrow ... and I will be recording it.

Plus, these two great aviation movies as well ... All times Eastern

8:00 PM
Spirit of St. Louis, The (1957)

Dir: Billy Wilder Cast: James Stewart , Murray Hamilton , Patricia Smith

10:30 PM
Gallant Journey (1946)

Dir: William A. Wellman Cast: Glenn Ford , Janet Blair , Charlie Ruggles
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

May I just admit right now that I love Eddie Cantor? I am probably the only one here who really unabashedly loves his films. I was so mad when I realized that I missed this opportunity to record Strike Me Pink, and had missed the first few minutes, but I settled into it, and enjoyed it very much.

norfious, I'm glad to see you back. Ethel Merman did only a few movies in the thirties, I'm thinking maybe 6 at the most. I know she was in Kid Millions too, with Eddie, and then also Anything Goes later on... plus she had a nice part in Alexander's Ragtime Band as Alice Faye's rival or replacement singer, I believe (don't take my word, I haven't seen it for AGES). She was good looking, and sang like a dream, of course.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Gallant Journey is a not altogether successful film, but it's worth seeing because William Wellman invests the film with his love of flying. Glenn Ford gives a really nice performance. It's may be his sweetest film, kind of dreamy rather than the usual Wellman grit. Quite interesting. I'll watch it again.