The Velvet Touch (1948)

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Mr. Arkadin

The Velvet Touch (1948)

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Did anyone see this today? It looked interesting (especially w/Russell and Greenstreet) and I thought about calling wifey to hit the record button, but got distracted at work. Did I miss anything?
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Yes, you missed a nicely mounted murder mystery with an appealing Broadway backstage ambience and some nice, if somewhat mannered performances. Claire Trevor is in it, and she really shines. Clever, intelligent dialogue and a nifty, unexpected (for some) solution. Russell plays the glamorous stage star, Greenstreet the detective investigating a murder. It's an RKO picutre, so it'll probably turn up again. Solid and entertaining, but not especially exceptional.
sugarpuss

Post by sugarpuss »

If you happen to get TCM On Demand through your cable system, this was just added to the lineup today. It should be there for about a month. I missed seeing this on "live" TCM, so I'm glad I have to chance to see it anytime.

It seems that the movies vary from cable company though. Someone mentioned once they were getting "Gilda", but the only new movie added on our Demand channel was "Dr. Strangelove". So it varies.
"Some of the best parts of life are frivolous." - Arthur Kennedy in A Summer Place
-----
The Roadshow Version: A Modern Take on Classic Movies