SEPTEMBER schedule is here!

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Dewey1960

SEPTEMBER schedule is here!

Post by Dewey1960 »

The TCM September schedule is up. Below is a link (Pacific times)

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/month/?cid= ... d=9/1/2007
Moraldo Rubini

September Song

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Wow! September already? I'm not ready for the summer to end!

I see a going back to school theme there... and lots of french fare (c'est si bon!).

And there's quite a number of Judy Garland pictures, including a day of Andy Hardy's. I can hear the groans over that, but I've only seen one Hardy picture, so would like to see and check these off my MGM list. There's a Judy Holliday night, so the Columbia pictures are still flowing over to TCM. A Fay Wray night! Susan Lenox (among other Garbo's)

I'll finally have a second chance to see Hedy Lamarr scampering through the woods in Ecstacy. Cynthia which is one of the last movies from That's Entertainment! that I haven't been able to see.

A new Private Screenings, with Norman Jewison; is among a month with several private screenings and documentaries (including one on John Ford for Lynn).

Capra's Dirigible and a load of Michael Powell movies from the 1930's! Pabst and Lubitsch! Yippee!

It looks like a swell month!
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Another great month for Film Noir: WHITE HEAT, IN A LONELY PLACE, RAW DEAL, T-MEN, DOA, THE LADY FROM SHANGHAI, THE STRANGE LOVE OF MARTHA IVERS, THE SNIPER and most especially Jacques Tourneur's 1957 noir NIGHTFALL. I've been hammering away at TCM for the longest time to play this film, even included it in the last Programming Challenge; looks like somebody finally heard!
Also: Peckinpah's RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY, Ozu's TOKYO STORY, Truffaut's 400 BLOWS, Chris Marker's amazing 1962 short film LA JETEE, Richard Conte and Judy Holliday in FULL OF LIFE (from John Fante's great novel), Ida Lupino's interesting pseudo-noir THE BIGAMIST, some rare "B" picutres from director Edward Dmytryk including THE DEVIL COMMANDS, UNDER AGE and SEVEN MILES FROM ALCATRAZ, the exciting pre-code drama UNION DEPOT, Lon Chaney in THE UNHOLY THREE, Edward D. Wood's masterpiece PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE, the terrific 1953 original version of WAR OF THE WORLDS, the very underrated Bogart film THE HARDER THEY FALL, Mervyn LeRoy's brilliant THEY WON'T FORGET and the exceptionally rare 1953 "B" movie PROBLEM GIRLS with Helen Walker!
What a month!
filmlover

Post by filmlover »

Well, I have to admit I am taking a personal pride in the Tuesday nights. Looking at the schedule, I can see these are the films the TCM programmer has indicated as being inspired by my "A Star is Born" theme in a previous Challenge. I am looking forward to this summer, but, dang, now I can hardly wait for the September Now Playing magazine.

However, proud as I am of my own nights , I MUST let you know of a VERY SPECIAL event, not related to my theme, that is a MUST for marking on your calendar on the nights of Monday, September 17th and September 24th. I will explain why in a moment.

9/17: Something Always Happens (1934); Crown vs. Stevens (1936); The Peterville Diamond (1942)
9/24: Crime Unlimited (1935); Man of the Moment (1935) , The Dark Tower (1943).

These titles mean nothing to you, right? There is a reason for this. They have NEVER been seen in the United States! These six titles were among hundreds that Warner Bros. made in England at their WB studio, Teddington. The films were made with British personnel and only for release in the UK. Among them are two films directed by Michael Powell and one starring Douglas Fairbanks, Jr.

Of the hundreds of films that WB made there exclusively for UK moviegoers, only about three dozen, I think, still exist. The large majority were destroyed in German bombing runs in WWII.

I learned about the Teddington Studios when I was doing research for my Warner Bros. programming Challenge several months ago. I am very excited about seeing these! Thank you, TCM programmer and TCM!!!!
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

"The Devil Commands" is a lot of fun, and "They Won't Forget" is very, very good.