TCM announces it is sunsetting the TCM Forums

Discussion of programming on TCM.
BrianNH2OK

Re: TCM announces it is sunsetting the TCM Forums

Post by BrianNH2OK »

I don't wish to be uncharitable, so I simply want to reiterate that there appears to be a lot of fun and interesting stuff from both sites. And as they are both in the early stages of development, it's likely to be a bit of a wait before things settle into their appropriate, greased grooves.

(I kinda figured the GaryCooper thing was something along those lines. Though I thought the next incarnation might be Bullitt or Enemy of the People)

Thanks
Brian
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

BrianNH2OK wrote: December 6th, 2022, 4:05 pm Well, that's me.
And I'm not surprised you don't know I'm here. I introduced myself a week or so ago, and the thread went silent. I've only posted a couple of times here, but was quite regular on the TCM boards. As I stated on the other site, there are interesting things going on over there as well as interesting things going on over here. You can call it drama if you want, but I wouldn't.
I'm on both sites (TB classicfilmTVradio, and this one). At this stage both sites are rather "dead"; i.e. not a lot of interesting conversations but I assume that will soon change.

Anyhow, I can't recall seeing any "drama" from those at the classicfilmTVradio site related to this site, but I do see so called drama at this forum from members that still have something against TB. Oh, well. Hopefully I can do what I had done before; interact and get along with mostly everyone (especially when the topic is not politics and instead movies, TV or music), regardless of the forum.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Our feelings about TB stem from his past behavior and are warranted. But I'm not interested in talking about TB. Just glad he's not around!
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

LawrenceA wrote: December 6th, 2022, 3:51 pm So a forum member here has gone to the "other" forum to complain that this forum is complaining about that forum. And then the guy says he doesn't think he's "welcome" over here. I wasn't aware of the guy even being on here, and barely recall him from the TCM boards.

The TCM forums may be gone, but the drama remains...
Which subheading is it under? That place is impossible to navigate and I can’t find anything in the Miscellaneous section.

Also as to that individual, if he thinks Topbilled is “God” he can go worship his master. No sane person would support a guy like that calling himself God.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: December 6th, 2022, 5:31 pm
And I'm not surprised you don't know I'm here. I introduced myself a week or so ago, and the thread went silent. I've only posted a couple of times here, but was quite regular on the TCM boards. As I stated on the other site, there are interesting things going on over there as well as interesting things going on over here. You can call it drama if you want, but I wouldn't.
I'm on both sites (TB classicfilmTVradio, and this one). At this stage both sites are rather "dead"; i.e. not a lot of interesting conversations but I assume that will soon change.

Anyhow, I can't recall seeing any "drama" from those at the classicfilmTVradio site related to this site, but I do see so called drama at this forum from members that still have something against TB. Oh, well. Hopefully I can do what I had done before; interact and get along with mostly everyone (especially when the topic is not politics and instead movies, TV or music), regardless of the forum.
TB calling himself God is self made drama on his end.
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

TikiSoo wrote: December 6th, 2022, 1:54 pm It's comforting to see the name with same avatar picture. Extra cool to see Speedy's original avatar. Lawrence is the only one I can pick out with changed avatars because he did it "there".
Great to see you "at the party" Lawrence, you were sometimes pretty quiet over at TCM.
As I mentioned somewhere else on the site, I'm the same Fedya from over on the TCM boards, although I put up an avatar that's actually a picture of me, although it's several years old. My avatar on the TCM boards was the scowling Charles Coburn. I wasn't certain I had it on this computer since I signed up for the TCM boards probably three computers ago. As it turns out, I do have it:

jamesjazzguitar

Hibi wrote: December 6th, 2022, 6:15 pm Our feelings about TB stem from his past behavior and are warranted. But I'm not interested in talking about TB. Just glad he's not around!
I was a fool to think after all these years people would have moved on (i.e. buried the hatchet) But I see that many have not so it is good there are multiple playgrounds.
jamesjazzguitar

LostHorizons wrote: December 6th, 2022, 6:43 pm

How do you know that TB called himself "God"? Also since there is no such thing, why would that matter?
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: December 6th, 2022, 8:25 pm

How do you know that TB called himself "God"? Also since there is no such thing, why would that matter?
It's apparently a user level label, seemingly based on number of posts, and it appears above his avatar & under his user name on every post. Other user labels he's defined include "New Member", "Junior Member", "Full Member", "Senior Member", etc. Every user has one of these labels, along with a certain number of stars.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: December 6th, 2022, 5:31 pm I'm on both sites (TB classicfilmTVradio, and this one). At this stage both sites are rather "dead"; i.e. not a lot of interesting conversations but I assume that will soon change.
Yes, it will change when forum members such as YOU liven it up with discussion!

Forum activity (like jazz) doesn't just happen by magic. It requires some effort, participation, and dedication!

Tune in! Tune up! And join in the jam, Jim!
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: December 6th, 2022, 8:25 pm

On his site, his avatar says “God” besides it and also his is the only one which says that. I thought you used that forum?
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: December 6th, 2022, 8:23 pm
Hibi wrote: December 6th, 2022, 6:15 pm Our feelings about TB stem from his past behavior and are warranted. But I'm not interested in talking about TB. Just glad he's not around!
I was a fool to think after all these years people would have moved on (i.e. buried the hatchet) But I see that many have not so it is good there are multiple playgrounds.
But his bizarre behavior like the god thing and generally just being obnoxious is ongoing not “years ago.”
Masha

Post by Masha »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: December 6th, 2022, 5:31 pm [...] At this stage both sites are rather "dead"; i.e. not a lot of interesting conversations [...]
I have posted my experiences with six movies in: 'The Films' board. I have contributed to two threads in: 'Off Topic -> General Chat' and created a new thread. I do not know how much more I can do. It is not as if I can be 'interesting' on demand. :smiley_chinrub:
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Masha wrote: December 7th, 2022, 12:26 am I have posted my experiences with six movies in: 'The Films' board. I have contributed to two threads in: 'Off Topic -> General Chat' and created a new thread. I do not know how much more I can do. It is not as if I can be 'interesting' on demand. :smiley_chinrub:
I, for one (and I know that I'm not the only one), appreciate and applaud your participation and contributions, Masha. Your "odd" and "perverse" sense of humor is an especial delight that enhances The Silver Screen Oasis.

James' comment is an insult to everyone who has made -- and is making -- the SSO a lively and interesting community!

Feel free to pitch in and help make the SSO an even better, more vibrant salon than was The TCM Message Boards, JJG!
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

HoldenIsHere wrote: December 6th, 2022, 4:31 pm
Hibi wrote: December 6th, 2022, 1:15 pm
LostHorizons wrote: December 6th, 2022, 12:50 pm

While accurate, it is still likely based off how easily he drops that money for the raffles that he likely has enough disposable income to set up an Invision board if he really wanted to.
I'm sure that Tops will see to it that he wins at least ONE of the monthly gift cards! :D
Hibi, you're not suggesting that (GASP!) the gift card raffles are r-r-rigged, are you?

. . .faints . . .
Well, unlike most lotteries the person drawing the tickets does not expose them to the camera.