TCM announces it is sunsetting the TCM Forums

Discussion of programming on TCM.
LawrenceA

Re: TCM announces it is sunsetting the TCM Forums

Post by LawrenceA »

Username "notananimal" posted this on the other site:

"Just an FYI to any who may care, the TCM board is currently being backed up. Tried to reach out to the people on SSO as well, but their registration system is screwed up (never receiving activation emails, no board administrator caring to read my continual messages about it being screwed up etc) so if someone would like to inform them as well. Be my guest. Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year :)"
Watching until the end.
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

LawrenceA wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 3:23 pm Username "notananimal" posted this on the other site:

"Just an FYI to any who may care, the TCM board is currently being backed up. Tried to reach out to the people on SSO as well, but their registration system is screwed up (never receiving activation emails, no board administrator caring to read my continual messages about it being screwed up etc) so if someone would like to inform them as well. Be my guest. Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year :)"

Thanks.
I didn't have any problem at all registering here and I am not very adept at doing this sort of thing.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

LawrenceA wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 3:23 pm Username "notananimal" posted this on the other site:

I saw that but I assumed it was operator error (since so many have been able to join SSO since TCM's site ended).
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 5:16 pm

I saw that but I assumed it was operator error (since so many have been able to join SSO since TCM's site ended).
Right, james. Possibly "notananimal" is just trying to throw shade on the SSO . . .

The administrators and moderators of the SSO have been extremely helpful, much more responsive than the moderators at the TCM boards.
On the TCM boards, I messaged the person designated as "TCMModerator1" asking for an explanation for why a thread was moved to another forum. I could see that TCMModerator1 had read my message ---and my follow-up message --- but I never received the courtesy of a response.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

HoldenIsHere wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 5:58 pm
jamesjazzguitar wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 5:16 pm

Right, james. Possibly "notananimal" is just trying to throw shade on the SSO . . .

The administrators and moderators of the SSO have been extremely helpful, much more responsive than the moderators at the TCM boards.
On the TCM boards, I messaged the person designated as "TCMModerator1" asking for an explanation for why a thread was moved to another forum. I could see that TCMModerator1 had read my message ---and my follow-up message --- but I never received the courtesy of a response.
That makes sense. TCM is after all part of a big corporation, which may even have rules of engagement with the public, or need to seek permission to do so, even on the most basis issues. This board is a labour of love, with moderators who have more authority.
lydecker

Post by lydecker »

So, it was my understanding that the TCM Message Boards would be accessible (on the TCM site) until February, 2023. But, they appear to be gone and gone. I had hoped to check a few things out from those years of wonderful commentary before they shut it all down. Am I crazy? (Rhetorical question.) Has anyone else been able to access them since 1/1/23?
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

lydecker wrote: January 1st, 2023, 8:37 pm So, it was my understanding that the TCM Message Boards would be accessible (on the TCM site) until February, 2023. But, they appear to be gone and gone. I had hoped to check a few things out from those years of wonderful commentary before they shut it all down. Am I crazy? (Rhetorical question.) Has anyone else been able to access them since 1/1/23?
Still there. They removed the link from their main website right after the first of December, but you can still access the forum if you go directly to the URL:

https://forums.tcm.com/
LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

I can still access it in the same manner as txfilmfan.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Still there, and, if you log in, you can still use the "buttons" which work (liking, etc.)!
scsu1975

Post by scsu1975 »

Cuthbert wrote: January 1st, 2023, 8:45 pm Still there, and, if you log in, you can still use the "buttons" which work (liking, etc.)!
What this place needs is a like button.
lydecker

Post by lydecker »

txfilmfan wrote: January 1st, 2023, 8:40 pm
lydecker wrote: January 1st, 2023, 8:37 pm So, it was my understanding that the TCM Message Boards would be accessible (on the TCM site) until February, 2023. But, they appear to be gone and gone. I had hoped to check a few things out from those years of wonderful commentary before they shut it all down. Am I crazy? (Rhetorical question.) Has anyone else been able to access them since 1/1/23?
Still there. They removed the link from their main website right after the first of December, but you can still access the forum if you go directly to the URL:

Thanks.
laffite

Post by laffite »

I haven't been able to get it, even prior to 1 1 23. That link is not working for me. I get a white screen. Both by the usual access, and the link.
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

scsu1975 wrote: January 1st, 2023, 9:17 pm
Cuthbert wrote: January 1st, 2023, 8:45 pm Still there, and, if you log in, you can still use the "buttons" which work (liking, etc.)!
What this place needs is a like button.
Yep!

(...and a good 5 cent cigar)
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

laffite wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 12:02 am

I haven't been able to get it, even prior to 1 1 23. That link is not working for me. I get a white screen. Both by the usual access, and the link.
I got that same response too, laffite...at first.

But eventually and after about 20 seconds or so, the forum pages at good ol' TCM.com appeared on my computer screen.

(...just takes a little patience here, I guess)
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

So still no word from CigarJoe, LHF, MissW, PoT, or Vautrin? As far as I know, they haven't appeared at the other site, either. Is anyone in communication with any of them?
Watching until the end.