TCM announces it is sunsetting the TCM Forums

Discussion of programming on TCM.
laffite

Re: TCM announces it is sunsetting the TCM Forums

Post by laffite »

LostHorizons wrote: December 7th, 2022, 3:21 pm
LawrenceA wrote: December 7th, 2022, 1:59 pm
jamesjazzguitar wrote: December 7th, 2022, 11:41 am Nipkowdisc won the lottery.
Do you mean the giftcard giveaway over there, or the actual lottery?

I ask because I noticed that even before the TCM boards closed he was talking a lot about buying laptops and a new bed and other sundry items, which I found odd since he often posted in the past about garbage sifting and frequenting food pantries for the indigent.
I think he said he saved up for those accoutrements every few years. It was the reason he said he wouldn’t post to TCM from the new computer. The old one he had had been using for several years had his password saved on it.
He probably would have spent a little more for that bed. :smiley_snoopy:
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

laffite wrote: December 7th, 2022, 2:47 pm
Hibi wrote: December 7th, 2022, 2:42 pm
Lomm wrote: December 7th, 2022, 2:30 pm

It is at the top of every forum (not at the top of a post in the forum). It just says "new topic", not "create new topic".
I'm not seeing it.
Scroll below the Most Recent Topics section at the top.

Choose one of forums listed below and click on it. You see New Topic at the top.
STILL not seeing it. WHERE is it?
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Hibi wrote: December 7th, 2022, 4:04 pm

I'm not seeing it.

Choose one of forums listed below and click on it. You see New Topic at the top.
Make sure you're at the "Forum" level, with a list of topics, as that's the only place you'll see the menu option...
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (29.94 KiB) Viewed 422 times
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Lomm wrote: December 7th, 2022, 2:30 pm
laffite wrote: December 7th, 2022, 2:27 pm Does anyone know how to create a new topic. The FAQ says click on CREATE NEW TOPIC but where is it? :tickedoff: Thank You,
It is at the top of every forum (not at the top of a post in the forum). It just says "new topic", not "create new topic".
I'm not seeing it.
It's at the top of a forum; if you click on "Movies and Features on TCM" or another one, you will see this. You won't see it from the root (TCM) or the main board index page.

Masha

Post by Masha »

I suspect that the problem is one of nomenclature/perception. Perhaps Hibi is asking for a new board which can contain multiple threads rather than simply a new topic which is a single thread in which all replies are lumped and it is difficult to find comments on specific movies.

It may also be that he does not have permission to start a new topic and so the: "New Topic" button is not shown. It is often that I do not have permissions. I must log out, clear cookies and sign back in before being able to do very much. See red oval at bottom of:

The column of ovals at the right are because I prepared this image in anticipation of asking why the forum is time-locked so that it is at all times: 4:43am or 4:43pm. I have decided it is not important but I do not have a version of the image before ovals to post here. I am reminded of an episode of Doctor Who wherein time does not change because someone altered a set/fixed point in time and so all was unravelling.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

I just visited the "other thread" and you might want to check out the "Arts & Leisure" section. It is pretty the old TCM Off Topics. This might offend a couple of people here because they post on it. Just wanted to warn people if they go over there.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

laffite wrote: December 7th, 2022, 3:32 pm
LawrenceA wrote: December 7th, 2022, 1:59 pm

Do you mean the giftcard giveaway over there, or the actual lottery?

I ask because I noticed that even before the TCM boards closed he was talking a lot about buying laptops and a new bed and other sundry items, which I found odd since he often posted in the past about garbage sifting and frequenting food pantries for the indigent.
I think he said he saved up for those accoutrements every few years. It was the reason he said he wouldn’t post to TCM from the new computer. The old one he had had been using for several years had his password saved on it.
Apparently he is spending a lot of money and his description of disposing of his bed indicates a fair amount of dexterity and strength. I have never been able to move any part of a bed by myself, much less assemble a complete one.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

ElCid wrote: December 7th, 2022, 5:06 pm I just visited the "other thread" and you might want to check out the "Arts & Leisure" section. It is pretty the old TCM Off Topics. This might offend a couple of people here because they post on it. Just wanted to warn people if they go over there.
I was checking the off topic section on here (SSO) and I noticed if you go back far enough there are political threads. There is one on the GOP debate from 2007. I guess nowhere is safe.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

ElCid wrote: December 7th, 2022, 5:06 pm I just visited the "other thread" and you might want to check out the "Arts & Leisure" section. It is pretty the old TCM Off Topics. This might offend a couple of people here because they post on it. Just wanted to warn people if they go over there.
This is the old thread:

http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/viewtopic.php?t=386
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

txfilmfan wrote: December 7th, 2022, 4:13 pm
Hibi wrote: December 7th, 2022, 4:04 pm

Make sure you're at the "Forum" level, with a list of topics, as that's the only place you'll see the menu option...
Capture.JPG
I logged out and back in and see it now, but how do you get to the FORUM LEVEL??? When I come on the site it takes me to Board Index and that's where I start out from. How do you get there to forum level?

When I see the list of forums I don't see a New Topics on the left side.
Last edited by Hibi on December 7th, 2022, 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

LostHorizons wrote: December 7th, 2022, 5:25 pm
I was checking the off topic section on here (SSO) and I noticed if you go back far enough there are political threads. There is one on the GOP debate from 2007. I guess nowhere is safe.
LMREO! Remind me to not go down there.
laffite

Post by laffite »

ElCid wrote: December 7th, 2022, 5:07 pm

Apparently he is spending a lot of money and his description of disposing of his bed indicates a fair amount of dexterity and strength. I have never been able to move any part of a bed by myself, much less assemble a complete one.
The point was that if had real money he might have bought something more expensive. That was an exceedingly small price to pay. A platform and a bed for $139? Decent bedding these days cost $300--$400 at least just for the box spring and mattress. Or he could have what he bought delivered and set up. I can't believe I am talking about somebody else's bed. :headbang:
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

laffite wrote: December 7th, 2022, 5:33 pm
ElCid wrote: December 7th, 2022, 5:07 pm

The point was that if had real money he might have bought something more expensive. That was an exceedingly small price to pay. A platform and a bed for $139? Decent bedding these days cost $300--$400 at least just for the box spring and mattress. Or he could have what he bought delivered and set up. I can't believe I am talking about somebody else's bed. :headbang:
Not just anyone either but Nipkowdisc. One hesitates what he needs to often change his beds for. :o
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Hibi wrote: December 7th, 2022, 5:30 pm I logged out and back in and see it now, but how do you get to the FORUM LEVEL??? When I come on the site it takes me to Board Index and that's where I start out from. How do you get there to forum level?
Hibi,

To get to a forum level from the Board index, click on the name of a forum, e.g., Action and Adventure, Noir Alley, Games and Trivia, or General Chat.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Maybe it's a futon? LOL.