Noir Alley

txfilmfan

Re: Noir Alley on TCM

Post by txfilmfan »

There are apparently two different threads running around entitled "Noir Alley on TCM"

This one, and the other, which can be found here:

Board index > The Films > Film Noir and Crime

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7115
Hoganman1

Post by Hoganman1 »

I posted on the other thread. Will the Administrators combine the two?
laffite

Post by laffite »

Thompson wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 2:15 pm This is the thread, El CID, to post on after the movie?
Can we not have the moderators delete one of them?
"Attend the Dukes of France and Burgundy, Gloucester"
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

I can’t recall Eddie mentioning anything about next week’s offering. But . . . I lost my train of thought . . . Oh yeah, he keeps emphatically emphasizing to “Let us know what you think on our Facebook and Twitter feed.” Certainly he doesn’t follow that. Nobody follows that. The board starts at the top and goes down. Facebook and Twitter start at the bottom and go up. How do you follow that?
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Thompson wrote: December 4th, 2022, 11:51 am “It’s strange that a man can live with a woman for ten years and not know the first thing about her.” — dialogue from The Letter which aired before Decoy.

Decoy — Portugal had a certain swagger, and he threw part of his unfinished hard boiled egg on the table and even though the film is in black and white I could detect a touch of yellow in that egg which is unlikely really for an egg eater, he’s gonna eat all the yellow especially if he’s only got one egg to eat. I guess the bartender had to pick up the peels. The bowl at the bar was filled with the boiled eggs. I would like to have seen what the creamed chicken dish that Margot ordered with a Scotch to start looked like. Also of note is that Portugal’s suit looked a lot like Barney Fife’s except a bigger cut and a slightly different pattern. One more observation— Eddie’s archetype of Woman is top heavy. But you know what they say — Boys grow old but don’t grow into men, girls stay girls and remain on pedestals.
Nice avatar from the film Vicki.
jameselliot

Post by jameselliot »

Hilarious film with a good femme fatale. The kind of film that Mystery Science Theater 2000 goofs on. Sheldon Leonard made a great decision quitting acting and becoming a producer.
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

laffite wrote: December 4th, 2022, 12:26 pm
Thompson wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 2:15 pm This is the thread, El CID, to post on after the movie?
I requested that they have just one under the TCM section on the Board Index page. I think it is as significant as having one for The Essentials.
Maybe they don't do anything on the week-ends or else it takes a while. Just waiting to see at this point.
To me the best place would be under TCM as it is a TCM program.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
laffite

Post by laffite »

ElCid wrote: December 4th, 2022, 4:47 pm
I requested that they have just one under the TCM section on the Board Index page. I think it is as significant as having one for The Essentials.
Maybe they don't do anything on the week-ends or else it takes a while. Just waiting to see at this point.

Well, I guess it would easy enough to notice where all the replies are.
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

laffite wrote: December 4th, 2022, 4:59 pm
ElCid wrote: December 4th, 2022, 4:47 pm

Well, I guess it would easy enough to notice where all the replies are.
My fault there are two. I created one under Noir and Crime and then discovered there was a separate TCM section and created one there as it is a TCM feature. It is under the Movies and Features sub-section. Hopefully we can all post to the one on the TCM section. Apologize for the confusion.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: December 4th, 2022, 1:37 pm
Thompson wrote: December 4th, 2022, 11:51 am
Nice avatar from the film Vicki.
Ha ha , I had some help with the avatar. Glad you like it. Millstone was instrumental.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

jameselliot wrote: December 4th, 2022, 1:40 pm Hilarious film with a good femme fatale. The kind of film that Mystery Science Theater 2000 goofs on. Sheldon Leonard made a great decision quitting acting and becoming a producer.
Aaah, c'mon now, JE. I've always liked Sheldon, and especially liked him in this film. I thought he carried off the "tough cop" role very well in it.

Btw, this conversation reminds me of the time CigarJoe (I'm pretty sure it was) and I disagreed about him on the old TCM boards years ago. As I recall, CJ said he didn't like his acting because he always felt his NYC "street" accent was always laid on way too thick and to the point of being too stereotypical, and that nobody in CJ's native NYC really talks like that.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Eddie said the this femme fatale was---what?---the worst he knows. I was expecting a dazzling display of traditional femmefatalism with the seductive prancing around the honeysweet words and ultimate decimation of the all the lover-loos but it wasn't quite like that. She was cool and sassy and quite in control without any of that. As Eddie pointed out, they were all under her spell (maybe even the cop but I doubt it) anyway and didn't need the traditional approach. No, she liked shooting men in cold blood when they were not looking especially if the schnook is digging up buried treasure or just plain running over some other schnook with a car. I guess that was sort of shocking even for noir. :shock: She gets the Giddy Award for her "It's all mine, it's all mine, it's all mine," which reminds me of a movie but with no idea which one. Pop Quiz : Name a movie that has a sequence like that. I can see Gene Wilder going wild like that, didn't he have a scene like that?

Is Frankie Olins the first only resurrection scene in noir? A scene from another genre. That killed me when he said, "I'm Alive, I'm Alive!" It would have been better had he punched it more. The whole sequence was beyond ridiculous. How many minutes---hours?---was poor Frankie without oxygen. Minor detail. Maybe you can do anything you want in a movie so long as it has a precedent, even a cross-genre one.

Metholine Blue? Metholene, that was the stuff that Walter White used to make his famous methamphetamine with its trademark resplendent blue.

And what about that blonde receptionist? She had presence with the elaborate hair do. She looked more 50s than 40s. I thought at first that she was going to be in the story but no. I just looked her up and IMDB says she was the doctor's nurse. She seemed to have a crush on the doctor. Pretty good doctor. He pulled a Frankenstein out of the Hat.

Too bad Jean Gillie died so young. RIP
/
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

I believe Eddie pointed out in his outro that the Metholene Blue would not have resurrected a body. Apparently it was to be used immediately if someone was exposed to the gas.
I think Eddie thought of her as the worst femme fatale because she had no redeeming social value, unless you count looks. From the beginning she never really tried to have a serious relationship with anyone, but rather quickly deduced who could help her with her greed.
laffite

Post by laffite »

ElCid wrote: December 5th, 2022, 9:53 am I believe Eddie pointed out in his outro that the Metholene Blue would not have resurrected a body. Apparently it was to be used immediately if someone was exposed to the gas.
I think Eddie thought of her as the worst femme fatale because she had no redeeming social value, unless you count looks. From the beginning she never really tried to have a serious relationship with anyone, but rather quickly deduced who could help her with her greed.
Well, of course, there isn't anything we know that can resurrected a body after they're dead. That sequence was surreal, though it was treated a matter of course, as real.

I don't think of femme fatales as having redeeming social values. It is not there function.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

laffite wrote: December 5th, 2022, 2:50 am ...She gets the Giddy Award for her "It's all mine, it's all mine, it's all mine," which reminds me of a movie but with no idea which one. Pop Quiz : Name a movie that has a sequence like that. I can see Gene Wilder going wild like that, didn't he have a scene like that?
You sure you're not thinking of Dafffy Duck in 1957's ALI BABA BUNNY here, laffite???...

:wink:

My favorite cartoon short of all time, btw.

(...and btw again, I thought Jean was great in this and can see why Eddie raved about her performance...and yes, such a shame she died so young)