I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
CinemaInternational

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by CinemaInternational »

jimimac71 wrote: April 16th, 2024, 5:09 pm Dear Heart where Angela Lansbury is something of a snot.
The movie has a Hallmark ending before they were into TV movies.
I love that movie. Just a charming little film, and Geraldine Page has one of her best parts in it.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I'm not a big fan of Glenn Ford.
Geraldine Page makes up for it.
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

Andree wrote: April 14th, 2024, 1:24 am John Wayne IS the Godfather.
Technically, he's only one of three.
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

CinemaInternational wrote: April 14th, 2024, 3:17 pm
He incurred the wrath of Shelley Winters, which was punishment in and of itself, because she had a lot of ins in the industry. That said, given how angry she was over the moment at the Oscars, it is beyond shocking that she signed on to play the villain in Cleopatra Jones, where her henchman's dying words were an insult about her weight that I dare not reprint here. Suffice it to say, it was a bigger insult than the Oscar one.

Shelley lampooned herself in Tentacles:

Tillie Turner: I'm a very good sailor. If I went in that boat with you, you would certainly win.
Little boy: Then we'd need a tornado to move the boat!
Tillie Turner: Don't be so smart!
Little boy: Mommy, you're plump. There's more to love.
Tillie Turner: Oh, sweet-talk me like your father.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

CinemaInternational wrote: April 16th, 2024, 5:16 pm
jimimac71 wrote: April 16th, 2024, 5:09 pm Dear Heart where Angela Lansbury is something of a snot.
The movie has a Hallmark ending before they were into TV movies.
I love that movie. Just a charming little film, and Geraldine Page has one of her best parts in it.
Two of my favorite Geraldine Page lines from DEAR HEART:

"I love your wig."
"I love your beard." [To Michael Anderson Jr's character]
Andree

Post by Andree »

Fedya wrote: April 16th, 2024, 6:40 pm
Technically, he's only one of three.
That was a kinder, gentler godfather, though there were more horses.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Andree

Post by Andree »

ADLHA was a good movie. I watched the first few seasons of the TV show. Wasn't it in that
CBS Sunday night lineup? It was okay for a 70s sitcom. Nothing special. I turned on Match
Game '77 today and Polly Holliday was one of the celebrities.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S (1961) Something is both ridiculous, embarrassing...

But I still love CAT :

She damned well better go back and get CAT!!!

Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Ah okay, for some weird reason Amazon only ever has seasons one through six of murder she wrote. The last time I had access to seasons seven through 12 is when the entire series was available on the Roku channel for like a year back in 2016.

And as much as I love, MSW, I will admit that many of the episodes in guest stars become a blur at a certain point.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

CinemaInternational wrote: April 16th, 2024, 5:14 pm
Hibi wrote: April 16th, 2024, 5:07 pm
CinemaInternational wrote: April 16th, 2024, 5:03 pm

It was a small role in a later episode where she played a housekeeper whose habit of watering the plants helped to unravel the mystery in part; the episode was Lone Witness in Season 9 (AKA the Neil Patrick Harris episode)
ARE YOU SURE??? I thought Neil was in another NY episode. Maybe not.
I'm pretty sure he was only in that one; it was right around the same time Doogie Houser was going off the air. Just checked, yes it was only that one, and Howland was definitely in that episode.

Unrelated meandering note: Meanwhile, when it comes to TV shows ending in 1993 (of which there was a ton: that year saw the end of Knots Landing, Cheers, Designing Women, The Wonder Years, Quantum Leap, Homefront, Brooklyn Bridge, and I'll Fly Away), I'll never get over the sheer chutzpah of one Knots Landing cast member who, after the show finished filming, went right over to LA Law, the series which had been its timeslot rival for 6 and a half years, and secured a guest spot on that show..... that aired directly opposite the knots Landing series finale! That cast member was on two networks in the same time slot at once that night!
Yes, after thinking it over last night, you are correct. That episode had a lot going on. There was the gem smuggler plot; then the Neil Patrick Harris vs. his dad story; then there was Sheila Macrae cooking up a gourmet meal in Jessica's apt.! (can't remember why she had to cook it at Jessica's place). Jessica was busy in that one!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Allhallowsday wrote: April 17th, 2024, 12:33 am BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S (1961) Something is both ridiculous, embarrassing...

But I still love CAT :

She damned well better go back and get CAT!!!

Yes. I think RO said the cat's name was Orangey. He stole every scene he was in. Did they have animal awards back then?
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: April 17th, 2024, 6:53 am Ah okay, for some weird reason Amazon only ever has seasons one through six of murder she wrote. The last time I had access to seasons seven through 12 is when the entire series was available on the Roku channel for like a year back in 2016.

And as much as I love, MSW, I will admit that many of the episodes in guest stars become a blur at a certain point.
You should be forced to watch all of Dennis Stanton's episodes on MSW in a continuous loop for 24 hrs as penance!!!
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

VIC TAYBACK did a HIGH CAMP EPISODE of MURDER SHE WROTE called ONE GOOD BID DESERVES A MURDER where he is CAST TO PERFECTION as a BOB GUCCIONE-TYPE who runs a line of girly magazines one of which (seen partially in the background of one scene) seems to be named (I kid you not) "HIPS."

Yes, "HIPS" magazine.

Sadly, I can't find any really good images of TAYBACK in the episode, but just lemme say he 100% NAILS the GESTALT of a man who would own a magazine called "HIPS."

NEXT MONTH IN HIPS MAGAZINE, for our MARCH ISSUE issue: College Sports rundown, another SUSAN SONTAG essay, and a full pictorial salute to THE BROADEST BROADS IN THESE 50 UNITED STATES!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: April 17th, 2024, 9:01 am Image

VIC TAYBACK did a HIGH CAMP EPISODE of MURDER SHE WROTE called ONE GOOD BID DESERVES A MURDER where he is CAST TO PERFECTION as a BOB GUCCIONE-TYPE who runs a line of girly magazines one of which (seen partially in the background of one scene) seems to be named (I kid you not) "HIPS."

Yes, "HIPS" magazine.

Sadly, I can't find any really good images of TAYBACK in the episode, but just lemme say he 100% NAILS the GESTALT of a man who would own a magazine called "HIPS."

NEXT MONTH IN HIPS MAGAZINE, for our MARCH ISSUE issue: College Sports rundown, another SUSAN SONTAG essay, and a full pictorial salute to THE BROADEST BROADS IN THESE 50 UNITED STATES!
LOL! I don't remember that one at all. Must be one of the early ones that I skip if its airing.

After looking it up, I remember that one now! KAREN BLACK was in it! (her career must've been in the doldrums by this point). Funny, I don't remember Tayback being in it. Not one of my fav. episodes........
kingrat

Post by kingrat »

Karen Black's moment in the sun was brief. FIVE EASY PIECES was a big hit, but when THE DAY OF THE LOCUST was a box office bomb, her career was done for.